hot, very hot

Kenneth

On my commute home yesterday I rode a few extra miles. I'd been working inside all day and not paying attention to the temperature. I knew it was hot when I left for home and was drinking water as I rode but felt light headed after I got done, which was strange after just 10 miles even if I had been pushing hard. Turns out it was a 109°F, which is the hottest weather I've ever rode in.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
You can quite literally die in that temperature - once ambient temps rise above 40 C, you organism needs to do extra work by constantly shedding water to keep you below 'boiling point'. Adding a few hundred watts of 'heating' on top of that can easily overwhelm your heat exchange capacity, resulting in a heat stroke, brain damage or death + recumbent position turns your body in a very effective 'solar panel'.
Human body is amazingly flexible, but you should be really careful.

Kenneth Jessett

The blood gets really thick as the moisture leaves the body and the fluid intake is unable to replenish what's going out, it makes for very slow cycling and somewhat light headedness causing some weaving around on the road. Not the best.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
You can get special arm sleeves... They are called sugoi ... just douse them with water once in a while and they keep you cooler. I also have a head band called a halo that's really good at stopping the salty eye syndrome.

Last edited:

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Since switching from DF to CB noticed my face getting fried. More upright facing position means more sun on the face. I’ve switched from normal cycling cap to a long billed nylon fishing cap - basically a baseball cap w longer and slightly wider bill. Terry band keeps sweat out of the eyes and sun off the face. Would probably catch too much air on V20 but on S40 it’s perfect and keeps me cool. Second @davidCH’s Halo rec. works great to keep salty sweat out of the eyes

jond

Zen MBB Master
Uv arms and legs plus da brim means no suntan lotion. And no 1 dork genius factor but at the end of the day the sunburnt cool uncool cinders will agree. Youre the coolest.

I also use an ultralight hiking foreign legionnaires style cap for summer burn out days.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Since switching from DF to CB noticed my face getting fried. More upright facing position means more sun on the face. I’ve switched from normal cycling cap to a long billed nylon fishing cap - basically a baseball cap w longer and slightly wider bill. Terry band keeps sweat out of the eyes and sun off the face. Would probably catch too much air on V20 but on S40 it’s perfect and keeps me cool. Second @davidCH’s Halo rec. works great to keep salty sweat out of the eyes

I *LOVE* my Giro Air Attack Shield helmet, purchased some time ago now-- it completely masks the top part of my face.

A 'faceshield' style helmet works beter than the DaBrim or cap solution. My head is more cool (temperature wise, at least, though the 'coolness' factor is probably higher too), my face is protected, and it doesn't start trying to do bad things when you are descending into a headwind :)

There are various knock-offs out there for relatively cheap. They're not as good/nice, but they'll probably get the job done too.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I *LOVE* my Giro Air Attack Shield helmet, purchased some time ago now-- it completely masks the top part of my face.

A 'faceshield' style helmet works beter than the DaBrim or cap solution. My head is more cool (temperature wise, at least, though the 'coolness' factor is probably higher too), my face is protected, and it doesn't start trying to do bad things when you are descending into a headwind :)

There are various knock-offs out there for relatively cheap. They're not as good/nice, but they'll probably get the job done too.

But the giro air attack is a hot helmet. It’s hotter than my ballista

joy

I use a Salamander Paddling Gear visor. It velcros to your helmet. You can place the velcro where you want it, depending on your layback or sun level.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
But the giro air attack is a hot helmet. It’s hotter than my ballista

Huh. It has been one of the cooler helmets overall for me, though it is supplanted by a newer helmet (the Vanquish) anyway.

I use the white/silver color (on all my helmets), which may help, but the meta point is really that any helmet with a ''shield" will protect your face better than will a front-facing brim.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Huh. It has been one of the cooler helmets overall for me, though it is supplanted by a newer helmet (the Vanquish) anyway.

I use the white/silver color (on all my helmets), which may help, but the meta point is really that any helmet with a ''shield" will protect your face better than will a front-facing brim.

I’ve got the white silver air attack shield and use it too .

I find it hot as it has very few vents compared to my other aero helmet the ballista. I’m talking 32 deg c and above.

With the da brim it is a 4 “ visor attached with Velcro to the helmet. It’s a cycling accessory.

It gives so much shade I don’t need suntan lotion. You learn to angle the peak especially on fast descents above 60 klm/ hr. The visor can also be moved to suit the suns position.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I’ve got the white silver air attack shield and use it too .

I find it hot as it has very few vents compared to my other aero helmet the ballista. I’m talking 32 deg c and above.

With the da brim it is a 4 “ visor attached with Velcro to the helmet. It’s a cycling accessory.

It gives so much shade I don’t need suntan lotion. You learn to angle the peak especially on fast descents above 60 klm/ hr. The visor can also be moved to suit the suns position.

I've had 3 different DaBrims.
On long tours I've had mixed success. The DaBrim often needs to be re-adjusted in order to stay on the helmet.
When descending very quickly, it can warp and either attempt to fly off the helmet (top), or attempt to prevent you from seeing the road.
Keep in mind I'm talking ~95 km/h here, which I did multiple times. On slower descents similar things happened if I happened to have a headwind at the same time. It was not fun to have to take a hand off the bars during the descent to hold the brim.
I have zero such issues with the faceshield, I'd guess primarily because it was designed that way. I was pretty sad that I'd not taken my 'bastardized' brim (made from a BMX visor attached with zipties) given the fast descent issues.

Sun protection wise:
I've had burns on my cheeks and back of neck after hours of riding (10+ in Florida sun after a few days) with DaBrim. It wasn't DaBrim's fault, but it couldn't prevent it either.
The faceshield provided more cover for the top of my cheeks and around the eyes. Turns out you can get sunburn from the *reflected* sun off the road after enough time, unless your face is actually covered from both top+bottom.
I've learned that the "best" strategy is a 'sun bandana'/buff + a helmet that really covers your face!

My best may not == someone else's best. My skin may react differently to reflected sunlight, yadda, etc. :)

1happyreader

zen/child method
That's what I'm wearing in my icon.
It felt like I had a porch, shading my entire head.
cons:
the mounting took away some airflow.
really soaked up water in the rain. ( never did remember to try scotsguard )
I was pretty sad that I'd not taken my 'bastardized' brim (made from a BMX visor attached with zipties) given the fast descent issues.
I am NOT that fast , but ended up with a Hostel Shoppe Bent Ray Visor zip tied on for simplicity.
It's just a thin carbon sheet. gave me a stiff 3 inch wide brim.
large-la_12vol_visor.jpg

400 visor.jpg

Rod Butler

In hot weather, I just soak my little cloth cycling cap in water and put it under my helmet,
it's got a little visor as well and in the winter, it can keep my head warm.