How difficult is it to hold your legs up?

kgantz

Howdy! What are the abdominal strenght requirements like?

So I'm looking at these Cruzbikes and thinking about getting myself a Sofrider. I have watched many of the youtube videos of people learning how to ride, etc. and it doesn't look particularly difficult for them to hold their legs up so their feet can rest on the pedals. But, when I look at their position and try to imagine myself in the same position and try to simulate it by sitting in a chair and raising my feet, it begins to feel like I'm doing leg lifts or crunches and I'm wondering if it would feel the same way on an actual bike. I know that one can at least rest some of that leg weight by having their feet on the pedals, but with one's feet so far out in front, how difficult is this?

Jeremy S

Dude
It's not a problem when your

It's not a problem when your feet are on the pedals -- you don't actually have to hold your legs up.

tmctguer

i find when riding my Silvio

i find when riding my Silvio & Vendetta that the problem comes at stop lights. When coming to a stop, it is sometimes awkward to "land" in a manner that does not cause me to arch my back as one or both feet are attempting to touch the ground or the curb. Likewise, when the light turns green, it can be awkward to gain forward momentum especially if you failed to downshift to a very low gear or there is any incline leaving the stoplight, or there is any water on the pavement under the front tire.

as you can see, my problem is not with keeping my legs up, but more with the awkward transitions between forward motion and the cessation of motion.

Vargas

First of all congratulation

First of all congratulation on choosing a Sofrider. It is a great bike and a battle horse. It will stand quite a lot of abuse and is very comfortable to ride.
About your question, let me tell you my experience.
When I started riding it, after a couple of hours I could feel the effort required to keep the feet on the pedals when not pedaling, for example while coasting. While pedaling you really don't feel it, but while coasting I felt I could not give my legs a full rest since some effort was required to keep them up and the feet on the pedals. Shortly after purchasing the bike I also bought clipless pedals and with those there is no additional effort required. I suppose I also built some recumbent muscles and now even without clipless shoes I don't feel any additional effort requirements.
Of course this is relative and depends on how old (I am 60), how fit (I am still not that fit) etc you are. But don't worry at all with ?abdominal strenght requirements; afterall this riding position is the common one in the recumbent world and no one complains about any additional effort to keep legs up.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
I agree with i009899:

Hi,

I agree with i009899: Without foot retention, you'll notice it when coasting. With clipless pedals (or to a lesser degree with other foot retention), there is no problem at all.

I also recommend foot retention once you are used to this bike as it gives a lot more control. I never used clipless pedals before my Sofrider (although I almost always used toe clips). Being clipped in makes me feel much more secure when spinning quickly, when going over bumps, and, well, just all of the time.

(I rode for a month without clipping in and it never really bothered me to hold my feet up, but I noticed not having to do it once I clipped in.)

Cheers,
Charles

kgantz

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Thanks for the responses. I think I will really enjoy one of these Cruzbikes, regardless of any initial aches and pains. I am now, after realizing that the Quest has some options that might make it easier to carry in the car, a bit torn between the Sofrider and the Quest. Where I live I can't exactly roll out of the garage and be on a safe street to ride, so I always have to take my bike somewhere and then ride it. The Qest also looks like a great bike but I am still trying to talk myself into the extra expense. I worry a bit about how these bikes survive the shipping portion of their journey to their new homes. Are they packed in a way that stands up to all but the most abusive treatment by the shipping company? It would be pretty disappointing to receive a "bent" bent.

GregFork, were you finally successful? Your log seems to leave off with you experimenting with seat placement and no further posts.

GregFork

fgdpmkgantz,Yes the seat mod

kgantz,

Yes the seat mod worked for me and after a bit more fiddling I'm happy where it is now.

I also fitted NuVinci hub and loving it ...

http://cruzbike.com/nuvinci-n360-hub-fitting-sofrider.

Greg

Shipping

The bikes are packed very well to survive the trip to their new owners. There is foam and zipties to keep everything in place and protected, so when you get it it will be in great shape

Here is a Silvio that I got for a customer.

IMG00009-20101130-2035.jpg height:225px;
IMG00010-20101130-2036.jpg height:225px;

As you can see everything is protected, and the boxes are heavy duty corrugated construction.

DSCN1503.JPG height:225px;

Not much is required to put together, especially for the Quest and Sofrider and instructions are included in the box and also available on the site.

Dan

kgantz

Thanks For Shipping Info

Thanks adifferentbent for going through the effort of posting example photos. It's nice to see that they also wrap some of the contents to keep the paint intact as well. Being in the shipping business myself, I have seen some horror stories and they tend to leap to mind when I'm considering an expensive purchase.