How do I make my QX 100 lighter and faster?

rdb

So, I swapped my rack, trunk, and excessive tools/spares for a small handlebar bag - that was almost five pounds and I really noticed the difference.

What can I do to reduce weight and make my stock Q faster? The bars and crank are non-magnetic, are they aluminum? How about the wheels/cassette/shiftgear/brakes or the shock? And, are those Kind air shocks reliable?

What have you guys done to your bikes? Where do you think you got the most bang for your buck?

I appreciate your experience.

Thank you.

billyk

Guru
And, are those Kind air shocks reliable?

Yup.

I used a 125mm Kind shock for 3 years on my Quest 559, then a 165mm version for almost 3 years now on my Q45. They hold air for many months, no failures. Roughly 10k miles.

And yes, they are far lighter. You'll be amazed when you're making the swap and hold the two in your hand.

But more than that, they stiffen the frame so the ride improves. See many comments on this by searching the forum. Altogether a worthwhile upgrade. Not expensive either (about $60).

These are the version with both the main chamber and the negative pressure chamber (reduces rebound).

Some experimentation is needed to tune the amount of pressure in each chamber. (And when doing this, make sure not to mix up the labeled valve covers! NP and MP. The main has to have higher pressure, so you have to keep track.)

Small disadvantage is that one of the two inlets is inaccessible without undoing the frame bolt. That's when you'll appreciate how long they go without having to pump them up.