How do you handle payment for purchasing a bike from a new forum member?

Staran

What do y'all recommend for paying for a bike purchased and shipped from a new forum member selling a used bike if a credit card isn't an option for them?

ederdn

Be careful! I just had a guy try to sell me an S40 from my listing via PM. Would only take PayPal "friends and family" option (no buyer recourse). When I started suggesting other options (getting a LBS to broker a transaction and ship, with me paying fees), it started getting squirrelly. Make certain you have some recourse if the deal goes south.

bret

I do use PayPal - avoiding the 'friends and family' route. I have had success recovering my $ from a non-commercial seller in Hong Kong that way. PayPal provides 6 months to dispute a failed transaction.

Ditto with PayPal. I purchased and sold a V20 frame on this forum. Friends & family transactions avoid a fee, but you accept the risk. Also, I use a credit card for PayPal payment, so there's another layer of protection.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I think there is a certain level of nuances for people in this forum. I purchased a V20 with PayPal friends and family option only because the seller was a frequent member posting. Otherwise I would probably do the vendor option, but you should expect to pay several % more to account for seller fee.

Also I have heard that PayPal is going to report vendor transactions to IRS above a very low amount, maybe $1000. That needs fact checking though. However, that means seller may have to pay income tax on that transaction, which may mean you need to pay even more to account for that.

Staran

The seller won't accept any secure payment method I can think of -- credit card , PayPal, or having a local bike shop handle the transaction. He wants half in advance via Venmo, Zelle, CashApp, or a money order, none of which give me and my money protection. I'm wary of the purchase due to this.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
The seller won't accept any secure payment method I can think of -- credit card , PayPal, or having a local bike shop handle the transaction. He wants half in advance via Venmo, Zelle, CashApp, or a money order, none of which give me and my money protection. I'm wary of the purchase due to this.
Is the seller a frequent post member in the forum? Not that it guarantees anything, but it kind of acts as a background check because it's likely others would know the member.

2whluge

My last sale was vendor through PayPal. Buyer paid the fee. Then we negotiated the Bike Flights payment and he paid me F/F. Good deal overall. But I’d run away from your deal.

JerseyJim

Red Flag. I'd walk away.

If anyone is wary about long distance buying, one way to mitigate risk is to have the seller list on eBay and the buyer complete the transaction there. eBay has buyer protection features and refund guarantees. You can negotiate compensation to the seller for the cut eBay takes.

There are also online escrow companies that facilitate transactions. Money is held in escrow until both parties are satisfied the transaction is complete. Then the money is released.

Apollo

Thanks for all the very helpful advice!

The seller (a new forum member) refuses to do any secure payment methods, so I now think he is a scammer.
New members should be cause for concern in any forum classifieds. The possible exceptions would be known individuals in the community who have a presence on other forums that members here can vouch for, or those who've been in this forum before but needed to either re-register or change account name for good reasons. I'm aware that upright cycling forums have a big problem with their classifieds because of scammers, so the problem is pervasive.

bhave

escrow.com. I used this in the past when selling my T-50 to a buyer here. The transaction was very straightforward. The buyer setup the transaction. We were able to select who was responsible for which fees. Then, once I shipped the bike, I uploaded the tracking information to escrow.com. Once he received the bike, according to the delivery confirmation, he had 3 days to examine it, accept it, and then I got my money.