How long did it take you to get your "bent legs"

MariposaLand

I now have 266 miles on my S40. So far, I have not been riding for speed. Up to this point I just don't want to fall over. However, I would like to get your feedback on how long it took to ride the Cruzbike as well/fast as your DF. Also, my S40 is about 10 lbs heavier than my last DF bike. How much does that weight factor in to matching my DF speeds? Thanks Tim Z

jond

Zen MBB Master
1000 klm 95% there

10;000 klm 100% as good as I get. Put her on a white line etc.

My df will always be a little nimbler and faster to accelerate and better in big mountains uphill due to weight alone. 7.2 kg v 10.9 kg.

But the vendetta is so far in front on every other measure and terrain.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
i got suitable bent legs in one year. but i ride several types. mbb fwd mastery is still in progress.

amusingly, my neighbor who is an old skate boarder wake board skater, literally got on my bike the first time and rode away like it was nothing.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
The Vendetta was my first Cruzbike, and recumbent. It took me about 500 miles to feel fast and 1000 miles before I felt steady to the point of not having to think about what I was doing. Even four years later, it gets better and better, easier and easier.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I now have 266 miles on my S40. So far, I have not been riding for speed. Up to this point I just don't want to fall over. However, I would like to get your feedback on how long it took to ride the Cruzbike as well/fast as your DF. Also, my S40 is about 10 lbs heavier than my last DF bike. How much does that weight factor in to matching my DF speeds? Thanks Tim Z
Acceleration will be affected by the weight. It's not a criterium bike for sure. But the key thing is to dial in the fit to the point that you can almost generate the same power as you did on the DF.

Focus on fit, i.e. optimum hip angle, leg extension, arm extension and shoulder suport e.t.c. There is a sweet spot at which the bike feels like it's on steroids.

Last edited:

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
About 1000 miles. And getting the boom length, crank length and the bars right makes a lot of difference.

Standing start in traffic. You are going to love that. Especially when you learn to do it.

RAR

It took me three months also to feel comfortable and "relax into the bike". Going fast is a lot of fun but the price of going fast too soon can be really high !
My crash crushed my L1 vertebrae and I had to have surgery to fix it; take your time

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Just my opinion based upon reading lots of accounts, it seems that lower volume and less fit DF riders will convert quicker to riding a bent than longtime roadies. Riders in flatter terrain will see equal speeds quicker than riders who live in steep up and down hilly terrain like in the Appalachians. A big factor is lung function acclimatization (and breathing training), in my case at least.

I have 15 months and around 13,000 miles on an 18-20 degree seat angle bent (not cruz) with 40,000+ miles on a DF in the prior 3 years of riding. It only took about 2 months and about 1,500 miles before the leg muscles were not sore from riding my bent but my speeds were terrible especially climbing. I had my legs but not the lungs and overall cardiovascular function. On the flats or rolling terrain, my bent speeds were about the same for a long time (maybe 8-9 months) with a very slight advantage to the bent on flat roads.

I am now breaking my former personal bests on certain types climbs but it took 14 months and doing a lot of innovative training to get there. On the flats, not chance for me to have ever ridden so fast on an upright. I have a 12% climb with an upright PB that is my target now. Just need the right W/Kg......or a new spine and a V20.

MariposaLand

Thanks to all of you who responded. That gives me a better perspective. I’m looking forward to faster but right now the bike is a lot of fun to ride. This coming spring I’m hoping to be able to keep up with my DF friends.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
It was awfully slow on a bent at first (RWD). Going MBB narrowed the gap significantly and now I'm a bit faster on flat, but I'm still not quite there yet when there is some climbing involved... but I'm really heavy (as in - fat) and so are my bents. Fat tires as well. :)
I'm yet to break 40 kmh TT, which is pretty pedestrian and what I *nearly* had on road bike with clip ons...

Unfortunately, my most comfortable position is not terribly aerodynamic OR conducive to good power transfer (low bb, deep recline), so I'm in the process of getting around it.

Still, having only tired legs (and sore arms to be fair :)) to contend with instead agony of pressure points on DF is priceless.