How Low Can you Go?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Re: How Low Can you Go? Camera hijack! Long!

wordy wrote:
Therefore, coming to a long winded and personal conclusion - a Silvio/Cruzbike riding with a pack of DF bikes won't gain much from a really low seat angle and may in fact be slower overall if the seat is reclined too much.
"Its a road bike Jim, but not as we know it." I kept the seat where it is to help develop hill climbing power, by keeping the underneath as streamlined as I could, the Silvio still rolls well out beyond a DF, unless the rider is stretched out in a non-pedalling position. This way, the bike's performance helps make it suitable for riding with road bikes. Also, the like componentry and drive set up can't be scoffed at.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master

johntolhurst wrote: ...Also, the like componentry and drive set up can't be scoffed at.

I got "scoffed" at the local coffeehouse Sunday morning. A local wag watched me ride up and started asking questions. Although he was interested and not at all 'snarky', he made the "too bad all recumbents have crazy drivelines" comment. I promptly stood the Conversion on its nose (exactly like y'all's video) and showed him the error of his ways. Neat trick and his lightbulb popped on as soon as I did it.

I never really believed (to a certain extent) in the "this position is more powerful than that position" bit. Am becoming a believer.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master

wordy wrote:
Therefore, coming to a long winded and personal conclusion - a Silvio/Cruzbike riding with a pack of DF bikes won't gain much from a really low seat angle and may in fact be slower overall if the seat is reclined too much.

I have to say that the Silvio seat angle is just about perfect. It plays well with roadies, too. Most are even surprised by the amount of slipstream they can find behind me. The comment I've heard more than once is "I wanted to go out front and help work, but it was all I could do to stay on your wheel!"

As for climbing prowess; I'm spinning way higher gears than on any other recumbent I've owned. Doing climbs on my 42 tooth chainring that would have had me on my 30. The drivetrain I'm running came off my old upright and at first, I thought I would not have enough low end for steeper climbs. Nope, it climbs just fine and I can keep up with the pack of riders I hang out with just fine. I'm not the fastest climber, but I'm certainly not the slowest.

Honest to goodness, I think the Silvio is just about perfect. Certainly the best bike I've owned/ridden.

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master

trapdoor2 wrote: I never really believed (to a certain extent) in the "this position is more powerful than that position" bit. Am becoming a believer.

+1 AND.... a Cruzbike will also make a believer of you about those crazy driveline comments, too. Simpler IS better!

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master

wordy wrote: My first career was as a photo technician/photographer.
I resisted digital photography as the Devils Spawn for many years until I more or less accidentally used a 4 MP Nikon Coolpix.
Now I'm a convert - I've got a Nikon D60 DSLR and a Panasonic Lumix TZ3 - I use them both a lot and I've sold a lot of images locally.
I can do more in 15 minutes with a digital camera and photoshop than in a day with a film camera and a darkroom.
I won't prattle on but - http://www.flickr.com/photos/brecumbent/

Nice pics... I enjoyed perusing through your collection, Wordy. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

Laurent

defjack wrote: This is as low as I would go.Feels great and no butt pain even after 20 miles or so. Jack
Hi!
I have my seat set almost like your's on my sofrier V2. Anu suggestions for head rest(neck support)?

JonB

Zen MBB Master

Mark B wrote:
wordy wrote: Honest to goodness, I think the Silvio is just about perfect. Certainly the best bike I've owned/ridden.
It just needs a fold like this for easy transport, storage, ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyVb9cZRD1E

Gromit

Guru

JonB wrote:
Mark B wrote: Honest to goodness, I think the Silvio is just about perfect. Certainly the best bike I've owned/ridden.
It just needs a fold like this for easy transport, storage, ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyVb9cZRD1E
I do not see the point of using rear wheel drive. Surely front wheel drive like the picture below would save having to have rods sticking out of the side of the bike to control the folding of the long chain.
71_47b55b47592e961a1d77e55e3d2fd417

JonB

Zen MBB Master

Gromit wrote:
JonB wrote:
I do not see the point of using rear wheel drive. Surely front wheel drive like the picture below would save having to have rods sticking out of the side of the bike to control the folding of the long chain.
Well, the bike in the video was designed like it is. I just like the 3 part folding idea, and think that the same should be done with a Silvio.