How to pack a Cruzbike for air travel?

Jan

I would like to ride my Cruzbike S40 from the UK to Italy and return by airline. Does anyone have any tips on how to best pack the bike for air travel? Upon my return in the UK, I would like to cycle home from the airport. So the less I have to disassemble the bicycle, the better.

I’d find out the maximum size a box you may use. Arrange to get a bike box or two from a bike shop at your departure location. (This way you can discard the box at your arrival and not be out too much money.) Disassemble the bike & pack using methods you’ll find all over the internet. Lots of packing tape and self expanding foam packs may be useful.
With practice you’ll find disassemble & reassemble to be easier than you fear.
Here’s one such discussion. Larry packed into a reusable case, but shows the minimum size a box you may need. BTW removing & replacing the fork adds only a few minutes and only requires one Allen wrench.
I’m planning a US flight this summer doing this, but shipping the bike to a hotel near the Albany NY airport and beginning the ride from there, meeting my wife in Niagara.

billyk

Guru
Yes to self expanding foam. Great stuff!

But (for @mpayne or anyone flying both ways), you'll need to get it home, too, right? So you'll need a box on the other end. Also the expanding foam (or regular foam, tape, etc). That argues for making a reservation at the same hotel on arrival and just before departure. Arrange with them (pay them) to store this stuff while you ride.

My experience is that intl airlines want $200 to take a bike as baggage. Unless you are an elite member (maybe) but almost certainly if you're flying business class. Got some FF miles for an upgrade? How far does the $200 get you towards business class?

Also consider shipping the bike to the hotel rather than taking it as baggage. Less than $200? Less hassle that way: no need to figure out how to get it to the hotel from the airport.

Altogether some research to investigate these possibilities is a good idea.

Jan

Thanks for the tips!

EasyJet rules say:
  • The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bicycle bag
  • The handlebars must be flush with the frame.
  • Pedals must be removed or flush against the frame
Pedals are easy to remove, the handlebars are not so clear. Unlike a regular bicycle, the handlebars of a Cruzbike are not so easy to turn 90 degrees. I guess I’ll have to remove them with an Allen key? But then the brake and gear cables may become a tangled mess? Also, should I remove the wheels? Does the a Cruzbike S40 fit in a regular bicycle box?

If anyone has a picture of a “minimally disassembled” Cruzbike, then that would be very useful.

I think this one's better for Jan's situation.
Be sure to retighten the handlebar bolts back into the boom/slider so you don't lose them.
I like EasyJet's generous baggage allowance.

Edit: here’s a video of a V20c packed into a bike case.

Last edited:

billyk

Guru
One thing for those of us who are not @Robert Holler ... take a lotta photos as you take things apart ... it'll help a lot when you go to put it back together. What seems obvious as it comes apart might not be so clear when you're sitting there wondering which way that cable went and so on.

This is the real reason they invented that device you have in your pocket ...

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I think this one's better for Jan's situation.
Be sure to retighten the handlebar bolts back into the boom/slider so you don't lose them.
I like EasyJet's generous baggage allowance.

Hi,

Have you checked such a large container on a flight?

Can the straps be removed and reattached by a 2nd grader (TSA)?

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Has anyone simply plastic wrapped their recumbent and checked it?

(removing pedals, turning bars, deflating tires, probably with RD, chain and hanger removed. )

Airlines would disavow any responsibility naturally BUT at least handlers will know it is a bike AND given the oddness of the shape, it will go on top of other baggage rather than under it as would be likely with a box.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
my v and my s go in my bike box. same one larry reviewed a long time ago. its not small but i use it for all my clothes too. also hold my conventional bikes and extra wheel sets.

billyk

Guru
Has anyone simply plastic wrapped their recumbent and checked it?

(removing pedals, turning bars, deflating tires, probably with RD, chain and hanger removed. )

Airlines would disavow any responsibility naturally BUT at least handlers will know it is a bike AND given the oddness of the shape, it will go on top of other baggage rather than under it as would be likely with a box.

I have several times done this with a smallish folding upright (Dahon with 20" wheels). Took off the pedals, folded it, ran a roll of plastic around it a few times (couple of foam pieces in strategic places), checked it. I left the seat sticking up which made a good handhold. If it's under 50lb Alaska will take it for free. Delta charged $35.

The best part was sitting in baggage claim, cutting off the plastic, strapping my bag on the rack, and riding off to the hotel. Then the reverse going home.

No damage to the bike.

This last summer I bought a ShipBikes reusable container with attachable wheels to go from Illinois to DC. I used the box as luggage for the trip out and used ShipBikes shipping for the return. The bike , a Silvio 2.0 , was easy to disassemble and the box had great instructions on how to arrange and secure everything on the inside. I put some accessory bags and clothes in the box as well, so I only needed a backpack for the rest of my necessaries for the 10 day trip. The box was larger than a suitcase but pretty easy to use with the wheels. We took Amtrak to Chicago, the L to Midway Airport and a rental car from Reagan in DC. Piece of cake. @ $100 charge from Southwest Airlines. The return was just repack, put the wheels inside the box and drop off at the nearest Fedex depot. @$95 and 4 days to get the bike back to rural Illinois. I was happy with both solutions. The cardboard shipping container is good for @ 5 round trips they say. Mine made it through the first one unscathed.

I have a Bike Friday system like this:
But since I dislike upright riding the bike & suitcase are collecting dust. :(

Reactions: 3bs

3bs

whereabouts unknown
i like the BF bikes. will have to admit that i am a mini velo fan, so there are few i like better.
its on my list to create a mbb fwd mini.