How to ride hands free?

McWheels

Off the long run
Carefully. One handed, then a very loose grip, then looser still. Slowly ones buttocks, back and shoulder blades will start making something happen, and you won't really know what they're up to. Then you keep trying.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
McWheels suggestion is very good. I would even say that the loostening the grip is important even if you do not aspire to riding no hands. Sparsely populated trails are helpful as is piles of time riding. And having good setup makes a difference too.

Best of luck.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Once you can comfortably take a hand off the bars for several seconds without thinking about it to signal turns, adjust your helmet, drink, etc., you're probably ready. Find a flat or barely inclined stretch of quiet road or parking lot. Medium amount of pressure on the pedals, no mashing. Loosen your grip to where you can feel your legs start to take over, then gently release.

I was able to do it on my Q first. Took about 3,000 miles of Cruzbiking, and a stiffer rear shock, before I even considered trying. (Slow learner here) Then one day I realized I had good enough control of the bike that it might be possible. I can go about a quarter-mile now before having to take the bars back. But I practice nearly every time I ride.

I couldn't do it on the S30 until I put the Thor seat on last summer. Apparently I just needed to be sitting a little more upright.

dtseng

I follow "Spring Time, Learning to Ride Time Skill 4 - 7" with hands light grip on the handlebar, but learn to steer with the feet. To facilitate exerting sideway force, you either use clip-in pedals or platform pedals with studs. When you get the hang of it, you should be able to steer with your feet to do figure 8 at low speed.

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
...When you get the hang of it, you should be able to steer with your feet to do figure 8 at low speed.
Just like riders of diamond frame bikes range from once-a-year-to-the-park-excursionist to professional-trials-experts - I would postulate that everyone will have a different level of ability, agility, experience, etc. that they bring when learning a skill such as no-hands. Some may not be able to ever learn, some may learn very quickly and easily (someone who uses a unicycle would be a good guess).

Wishing you all the best on your skills.

billyk

Guru
Funny how these topics come up again and again. First suggestion is to search the forums for “no hands” or “hands free”. There’s tons of discussions and advice.

To the above good suggestions, I’d just add that I found it easier to learn on a slight uphill. That forced me to keep pressure on the pedals all the time. (I ride with studded pedals, but not clipped in.)

Once you have experience, riding no-hands is actually very easy, easier than on a DF bike. That’s because being good on a CB means controlling your feet to reduce pedal steer, and that’s the main skill to no-hands.

Fundamentally this means balancing the off-center torque of MBB riding with a bit of sideways (outward) push on each pedal stroke. When riding steadily no-hands, I notice my shoulders rocking back and forth to balance the outward pushing.

On the other hand, hands-free reduces the advantage of CBs because you don’t get to use your upper body. I can ride for miles without hands, even uphill, even turning pretty sharply, but I’m definitely slower.

There are two advantages: you can relax for a while, and you can do things requiring both hands: adjusting clothing, eating, texting, photography, ... ;-)