I bought a used Silvio…brand new to Cruzbike….mistake?

Silverbackbob

I’ve never even ridden a Cruzbike! I jumped right in without any research. How big of a mistake did I make? I used to love doing fast centuries on a regular bike but haven’t ridden more than 10 miles at a time in years. And it shows.

I’m thinking…now that I’ve lurked on the forums for awhile, that I might have bought a Q45 so could adjust the seat more.

Can I adjust the Silvio enough to fit me? How wide of tires will it take? It’s not even in the house yet. Also, it’s winter here in Nebraska. Any help will be much appreciated. TIA. Bob.

Bruce B

You have come to the right place for help!
While you wait for the arrival of your classic keep in mind that most of us started in the very same place you are now. I bought a new Silvio 1.0 sight unseen in 2009. Following the riding instructions found here on Cruzbike I was able to slowly ride in my neighborhood after only a few hours. Then it was just practice. By the time I had ridden 300 miles or so, I was very comfortable on any street or road and comfortable riding with companions.

The Silvio can be adjusted to fit most riders quite easily.

Here are some sites that you may find useful:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qKRCMrewz1SxQ_nvNNfCEOvYzQfOsYGT/view. How to in about 30 pages from 2018

Welcome,

Bruce

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Just keep at it, you'll get the hang of it. I went straight from a road bike to a V20 after only seeing a handful of recumbents pass by. I turned to give chase but was never able to catch up to them to even see what brand they were never mind being allowed to even sit on one. So, I thought if they can do it then so can I. It took me essentially two weeks of practice piddling around my neighborhood before I felt confident and stable enough to not hit anyone or crash into anything on my regular cycling route, but once I did I immediately started smashing all of my Strava Personal Records. My first ride I made it less than a meter before slamming my feet down so hard that it hurt because of my unfamiliarity with reclining back, but it will pay off. It just takes some time for your brain to rewire your balance. Speed might not be your goal, but the Silvio is still going to be fast, AND very comfortable.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I’m thinking…now that I’ve lurked on the forums for awhile, that I might have bought a Q45 so could adjust the seat more.
Depending on the model of SIlvio you purchased the seat could be betwen 28 and 40 degress.
You can't adjust the seat on any Silvio - but you can make it more upright temporarliy to help you learn by fabricating a wedge and mounting it between the seat and the cushion.

Silverbackbob

Just keep at it, you'll get the hang of it. I went straight from a road bike to a V20 after only seeing a handful of recumbents pass by. I turned to give chase but was never able to catch up to them to even see what brand they were never mind being allowed to even sit on one. So, I thought if they can do it then so can I. It took me essentially two weeks of practice piddling around my neighborhood before I felt confident and stable enough to not hit anyone or crash into anything on my regular cycling route, but once I did I immediately started smashing all of my Strava Personal Records. My first ride I made it less than a meter before slamming my feet down so hard that it hurt because of my unfamiliarity with reclining back, but it will pay off. It just takes some time for your brain to rewire your balance. Speed might not be your goal, but the Silvio is still going to be fast, AND very comfortable.
Thanks!

Silverbackbob

You have come to the right place for help!
While you wait for the arrival of your classic keep in mind that most of us started in the very same place you are now. I bought a new Silvio 1.0 sight unseen in 2009. Following the riding instructions found here on Cruzbike I was able to slowly ride in my neighborhood after only a few hours. Then it was just practice. By the time I had ridden 300 miles or so, I was very comfortable on any street or road and comfortable riding with companions.

The Silvio can be adjusted to fit most riders quite easily.

Here are some sites that you may find useful:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qKRCMrewz1SxQ_nvNNfCEOvYzQfOsYGT/view. How to in about 30 pages from 2018

Welcome,

Bruce
Thanks for the encouragement and the site referrals!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Or possibly a 2.1
I think Silvio 2.0 and 2.1 are the same geometry (can't remember off the top of my head what the difference is - but minor I am pretty sure) - @ratz can probalby confirm.
I am pretty sure these models are 28 degrees seat angle - so I would just get a some dense foam and fabriate a tapered wedge to get you to 40-45 degrees which give you a little more balance when learing. I would probably compute the angle and even make 2 of them 1/2 of the required. Once you master riding with both, then remove one and maskter that - then remove the last one and you should probalby acclimated to the final one very quickly since you have already rewied your brain.

JerseyJim

I’ve never even ridden a Cruzbike!
If you haven't ridden any recumbent, in some ways that's an advantage. You're a clean slate. No prior recumbent rewiring. No prior recumbent bad habits.
I jumped right in without any research. How big of a mistake did I make? I used to love doing fast centuries on a regular bike but haven’t ridden more than 10 miles at a time in years. And it shows.
I think in a lot of ways you made a sensible choice. If I could have afforded it back when I made the switch to a Cruzbike, i would have chosen a Silvio too. You'll have some rear compliance like a Q45 and the aero approaching a V20. You say you like fast centuries? A Silvio is a good fit. No worries. With practice you'll be fine...and fast. The mileage will take care of itself.
How wide of tires will it take?
There was a recent thread on that here.

The conclusion after experimentation is as follows:

* 28-622
35-584
* 40-559

For the widest tire, switch to 26" wheels. This will be good for sloppy winter roads. For summer, go to 700c and enjoy variety of road tires. If you decide to upgrade to fast deep section wheels, just be aware to ask about quick release options for the wheels you're interested in. New wheels are all thru axle now but you can still get QR end caps, axles and adapters for many popular hubs. You just have to do your research and ask.

Welcome to your latest addiction. There is no cure. Enjoy the ride.

CruzinCambridge

Once a cyclist, always a cyclist. Even if you haven't ridden distance in a while, you still have the muscle memory and your legs will catch up.

I got an S30 (Silvio 3 or 4) in late September and was able to ride it on the road by Thanksgiving. I started slow, doing an hour at a time in the parking lot of an office park on the weekend doing figure eights. After about 10 hours of that I worked my way up to a bike path... then another 5 hours and I was on the road. Somewhere in there I switched from flat pedals to clipless.

I spent a lot of time trying to fine tune the bike fit with wedges and stem risers and moving the boom in and out (mine came with a lot of aftermarket adjustments). The best advice (from this channel) wasto watch the videos and set the bike up as recommended. Learn to ride it... it's not the bike... it's you. Don't introduce more variables than necessary. Then, once you learn how to ride it, you can start futzing with adjustments.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I think Silvio 2.0 and 2.1 are the same geometry (can't remember off the top of my head what the difference is - but minor I am pretty sure) - @ratz can probalby confirm.
They are the same, just tweaks like weeping holes and boom clamp improvements.