I feel like the groundhog who saw his shadow

BentAero

... as I have at least another 6 weeks of 'winter'.

I had surgery on my right foot Dec. 19, and so far it's been a very painful and slow recovery. The surgeon claimed I could go back to exercising after 8 weeks, but he didn't mention that I'd be in enough pain that wouldn't be possible. The only time-table that he's been correct on so far is that my foot will stay swollen for up to a year.

Feeling optimistic, I bought a pair of size 46 cycling shoes off E-bay a few weeks ago in anticipation of at least being able to spin on the trainer. My plan is to wear my normal 44 on the left, and the 46 on the right. Since I'm 13 weeks post-op, and the surgeon cleared me to spin, I finally got brave enough to switch the cleat to the new shoe today and give it a try. I rolled the bike out of the garage with the anticipation of an 8 year old that just had their training wheels removed. This was it, the big moment.

Clipping in was met with a quick shot of pain. Oooh, that's not a good sign. I pedaled out the drive into the street with what I can only describe as epic disappointment. Each pedal stroke induced the same pain as walking if I put any pressure on my right foot. It took all of about 30 seconds to realize this was a bad idea. I was hoping that spinning would be less problematic than walking is, but no dice.

I didn't really think I was ready, but I had to try. Don't know 'till you try, right? BTW, first PT appointment is tommorow.

Yeah, I'm ready for the ice pack right about now.

Also, keep Larry in your prayers; the Rotator Cuff surgery last Thursday is really hurting him. He's getting the "pain med's don't work" experience just like me. And unlike me, he's tough. If it's bothering him, it's bad.

20150112_145920_zps7777fea3.jpg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
We are rooting for both of you to mend fast.

We are rooting for both of you to mend fast.

After loosing 2 years to the neck and collar bone injuries I feel every stitch of your frustration, the lack of real info you get from the Doctors is stunning sometimes, you never expect them "not to know" until you've been through it; then you start to understand it's a very variable science.

Are you able to put weight on the heel in such a way as to use platform pedals and a shorter boom setting to heel pedal and spin or is it any foot movement that triggers it?

BentAero

I had the same thought about

I had the same thought about a big pedal or platform. Heel weight/force is no problem, it's only the MTP area that is painful. The problem is, lack of use of the forefoot area is a catch-22; the more I avoid it, the more problem it's going to be in the future. JP looked at my X-rays and says I need to start working it to diminish the early osteopenia that has developed. The surgeon agreed, so I meet with a physical therapist tomorrow, we'll see where that leads.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Godspeed to Gary and Larry

Godspeed to Gary and Larry for fast recoveries!

The mental pain of being idle has got to be a big play for you guys, I can't image how difficult it is. Good luck with the physical therapy.

Suz

At least you tried.

Sorry about the frustration and the pain! I hope your PT will help you get back on the bike again, sooner than later.

Best wishes.

1happyreader

zen/child method
Houston,,, did we missed something ?

Gary,,

I hope you left out all the trainer time you spent letting your mending foot just go thru the motions.

The driveway is NOT spinning on a trainer.

god speed on your healing journey.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Where is Bones when you need him

Man, we have really got to figure out how to advance this part of our medical science a little faster. Those screws and plates just look really crude. Surely we can figure out a better way...

Wouldn't it be great if Bones from Star Trek could just wave his little gizmo around you and heal you all up?

My carpal tunnel surgery on Dec 11 was very minor compared to you two but I certainly empathize. Interestingly recovery was quick - pretty much full use after 6+ weeks except if I use it like a foot, e.g. palm on a hard surface to push off like push-ups or grabbing the cockpit combing of my velomobile to get in and out. Then the pressure on the ligament sheath still hurts but fortunately is still improving.

-Eric

Wannabe

and I thought I had it rough..

First off, Heal Fast, Heal Well my friends.

My saga is small potatoes, but I will share anyway.

Decided on balloon sinuplasty to help relieve a life time of sinus issues. Surgery went well. Done on Friday, back to work on Monday.
Well that was just the beginning. To this day no one really knows what happened. But I week later I rushed myself to Hospital, (running most red lights!!!! ) ...thinking I was dying.
Spent 4 days enjoying being starved, injected, neglected, and rejected. What could go wrong did go wrong. They had to put that !@#$%^&^%$#@!#$% tube in thru my raw un healed nose into my belly for 2 days. O M G... does anything hurt more than that?
The Dr. who did my sinus surgery must have ripped the ER staff a new one, because they un-did all of his work. After his visit, the staff treated me like a leper. I told them I had had sinus surgery....oh well it is not my fault. My wife a retired nurse, said it was politics... and that we did nothing wrong. OH WELL!!!!

After being irradiated, aggravated, irritated, and emasculated ( nurse said it was going to hurt her more than me.....NOT) ... I left with no real verdict. What ever it was passed. I have not ridden my bike in 6 weeks at least. But things are looking up.

INFO FOR THOSE ON THE MEND>>> These people know what they are doing. My son, a CAT 1 DF racer extraordinaire, had his share of broken bones. Dupois sells a "TINCTURE" that help bones and the body mend in miraculous ways. AS stated above, western medicine is replete with non efficacious procedures!!!

http://www.dupoisnaturalhealth.com/store/index.php I hope this helps you!

Sincerely,
David

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
thanks everyone for best wishes

Yes, I am in pain (slept maybe 7 hours since Wed), but at least I can sit on my trainer and pedal because the pain does not change from how it feels just sitting in my lazyboy!

Gary has the patience of Job I think. I would be a basket case if I could not ride for 13 weeks.
He did report actually feeling a little better this week than last so we are all hoping it will continue to get better day by day now.

Man, those are some cool pics of your foot Gary, and no I don't have anything to show quite that extraordinary.

I did park myself at the doctor's office this morning when they opened to have a "word" with the surgeon of why I was still in extreme pain now after 4 days. Even though my appt wasn't until Wed., they took pity on me and saw me (or maybe it was because I locked all the doors and wouldn't let anyone else in) .. not sure which it was!

After he showed me all the photos of what he actually saw and did to my shoulder, I guess I could understand now why it is still hurting and grateful it is not swollen to twice it size. The really bad one for me was the photo of the bone spurs before and after he ground them off. WOW! I'm sure glad now he didn't let me talk him into getting rid of the bone spurs on the left shoulder at the same time. I can't believe now that I even asked for it. I guess I'll may an interesting story for him at a part sometime.

Well, it sure is great to have a goup like ya'll encouraging each of us as we have trials, whwther it's figuring out how to change the blasted from wheel on the Silvio, what kind of a hydration unit to get, or sympathizm with surgery.

Couldn't ask for a better group!

Blessings to you all!

p.s. I'm just kidding about locking the doors, not that I did not consider it if things went downhill! :)

BentAero

20150405_143156_zpsy4qpiczp.jpg

Feeling marginally better so I clipped in and peddled down the drive into the street yesterday.
Feels a bit funny as the foot is still a bit swollen and the 'rehab' shoe I bought is probably one size too big.
Though it feels a little like the tender pad of my foot has waded-up sock in my shoe, all in all, not too bad.
Not ready to hit the roads just yet, but I put the bike on the trainer and spun for twenty minutes.
I can walk with no more difficulty today than prior to spinning, so I guess I'm making progress.
I'm writing this at my rehab appt., which is apparently helping.

Last edited:

BentAero

Though a bit windy today, the temp reached 70, so Larry and I decided to go test our respective ailments and find put how we would fare during actual riding. We met at his ultra-secret oval track test facility to turn a few laps.

It didn't take long for the discomfort in my foot to become mildly annoying, but after 20 minutes or so it sort-of leveled off. After 40-45 minutes it was no more numb or painful than any other bad day lately, so we pressed on to the one hour point.

I'm sure Larry will chime in here when he can, but he did very well having only mild/medium pain in his shoulder.
We quit at one hour, having ridden 15-16 miles as we were out of time, and also feared pushing it too far.
The real test will be how I/we feel tonight, but so far my foot feels better than if I had done nothing all day. Apparently cycling is great physical therapy in and of itself.
It's definite progress, and I'll take it.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Apparently cycling is great physical therapy in and of itself.
I personally believe this to be true too. It has done wonders for my back. I literally thought I was going to being in wheelchair by this point in my life, no joke. Cycling has truly RE-cycled my life :D!

Thanks for the report Gary, maybe some ice tonight, and more riding tomorrow!

jond

Zen MBB Master
fantastic progress lads keep your effort and chins up. cycling your way to keeping your good health. how wonderful. blessings.
and i hear the weather is finally improving too in america :) what a fine fine time shall be had.

LarryOz

Yes, it was a great ride on our super-secret test track.
3 1/2 weeks after surgery - first time to have to actually steer the bike.
Mild pain, but also surprised at how much effort it took to steer since it had been so long since last time on the open road
Amazing how much you can lose in that amount of time of non-use. (talking shoulder and arm)
Luckily am able to keep the legs going on indoor trainer.
But - good thing - we are all on our road to recovery - including you in that too Jon!
cycling your way to keeping your good health
Well said Jon - I'll be 56 this year and truly I don think I have even been in better physical shape! The ability to cycle is truly a blessing!

jond

Zen MBB Master
a blessing indeed larry. especially on our thoroughbred cruzbikes. i am becoming victim (very willing) to people asking about the bike. there seems to be a consensus amongst the kids that the vendetta is the "coolest bike thing " they have seen. littlies just ask mum and dad what is that weird thing :) . my fellow df riding friends are somewhat bemused but very very afraid of the speed potential. some are intrigued and could fall to the crafty snare i have devised. the grouped (usually) snobs on bikes i just dont get. i suppose being in the time trial position with a posterior complaining might make you an ill wind :) i can tell that i will not have to worry about these slow folk already. is it so evil to delight in passing them. it does not feel like a sin and i am always very gracious with a very polite. "passing"
i seem to have gone right off topic but i think that spiritual mental health is just as important as physical health and the two are inextricably linked. so please offer me salvation and tell me i am not the only one to .......enjoy passing purposeful roadies........:)
larry at 56 you are legend and inspiration for all. what a great forum this is i have learnt so much from everyone sharing so willingly. i am ever so grateful.

LarryOz

Yes, Jon is it amazing the looks you get. I have had people who were crossing a road actually stop in the middle and stare at me. When I take it on vacation, I think I spend more time talking about the bike to people than riding it! It is kind of like once you stop and start talking to somebody - hard to break away. Oh yes - it is a please to pass by those roadies on their "old fashioned bikes". hehe. But always being as polite as possible. We want to be good evangelists for our brand!