I'm joining you as a likely Silvio owner

jalexartis

I've lurked a few times and followed a lot in 2007 and the Silvio was at the top of my to buy list. I lost out to a Catrike 700 in Jan '08. Will, if I were to buy in Dec or Jan, the Silvio is back at the top of my list.

I'm wondering if either of you have ridden the Silvio as a single-speed. I'm currently ride a RANS City Crank Forward as a single-speed and love it. What do you think about a SS Silvio?

Thanks!

Jim

defjack

Zen MBB Master
I would not do it.I use a triple and a 11- 32 and dont have a lot of gears that are not used. Just my opion. Jack

jalexartis

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I'm running a 42-tooth chain ring [175mm cranks] and 19-tooth sprocket. I consider myself a strong rider. Another consideration is a Nexus or Alfine Hub, with a single chain ring. Cadence: around 80 rpm. I appreciate your thoughts. --jim

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Hi jalexartis,
a quick visit to Sheldon Brown shows you are on a gain ratio of 4.0.

Gear chart using Gain Ratios
For 26 X 1.5 / 38-559 / MTB tire with 175 mm cranks
With Custom Sizes Cassette
19 4.0

That's very curious, as the rule of thumb for gain ratios that I identified and work to is to set the gearing up to deliver a range between 2 and 8. 4 is exactly half way. I mean, 2*2=4 and 4*2 =8.

A Silvio will work well like this. I'd also go on about 4, but I'd do it off a shorter crank to keep my knees saved and short cranks also seem to allow a greater usable cadence range.

A hub would be viable if the torque arm can be positioned on the left fork leg. A torque washer likely won't be happy in the Silvio front end.

DuncanWatson

I run an internal Hub on my raptobike (FWD lowracer) . I also have been considering the new TT Silvio (when released) and love the simple chain line of my raptobike with rohloff. A rohloff is a bit heavy but the Alfine is pretty light and would be an option. I find internal hubs are very addicting. There are so many little things to love about shifting while coasting, at stop lights or just after unlocking the bike.

Personally with the highish BB, on a silvio I would want the freewheel, so I wouldn't go fixed but if you can handle the cadence and gearing for your intended usage I don't see any problems with a single speed. OTOH I would want a silvio TT as a speed platform and so would be looking for a high gear of 120 gear inches or so.

For my taste I am likely to run a Silvio TT with a compact double or triple Q ring and a 9 speed cassette using SRAM components. It depends on how much of a range I can get with the compact double. Mostly because I plan on being a bit weight conscious on a Silvio TT. I want a light bike.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
jalexartis wrote: Thanks John,

That is very useful information. I have a Bontrager compact 2-chain ring setup on my donor bike. I will explore the single-speed setup more. I love its simplicity. BTW, I'm using an ENO Eccentric Hub setup on my crank forward. Thanks again John for your assistance. --jim
Nice build! There is so mething very satisfying about the tight chainline, something very machine-like and masculine. The sigma has the same thing when its snail cams are used to keep the chain adjusted just-so.

The Eno Eccentric Hub looks like it works well - you are satisfied with it?

jalexartis

johntolhurst wrote:
jalexartis wrote: Thanks John,

That is very useful information. I have a Bontrager compact 2-chain ring setup on my donor bike. I will explore the single-speed setup more. I love its simplicity. BTW, I'm using an ENO Eccentric Hub setup on my crank forward. Thanks again John for your assistance. --jim
Nice build! There is something very satisfying about the tight chainline, something very machine-like and masculine. The sigma has the same thing when its snail cams are used to keep the chain adjusted just-so.

The Eno Eccentric Hub looks like it works well - you are satisfied with it?
Thanks John and thanks for visiting my blog. I REALLY like the simplicity [in looks] of my Crank Forward. The ENO components work very well for me. I'm very satisfied with the setup. There is nothing I'd change about the build. It is the basis of my inquiry here on the Silvio and the possibility of similar "cleanness." I'm also reading all I can on your new Silvio TT Bike [Vendetta]. Thanks again for the compliments and the visit. --jim