Interesting Observation going from 2x11 to 1x11 (v20c)

cruzKurt

Previously I was running a 11-28 cassette and 50/34 chainrings on my v20c.

I bought a single 46T chainring for my crankset and am going to do an electronic shifting upgrade sometime this summer (possibly a 1x12 setup).

In the meantime, I just left the derailleur as is and now have a 1x11 drivetrain. (46T x 11-28)

I did a 25 mile ride this morning and honestly don't feel like I was missing the extra chainring.

Anyway, I am happy now and don't have to deal with that cursed Front Derailleur.

Flying Dutchman

If there's only short hills involved I totally agree. I have SRAM Apex 1* on one of my DF, 50 chainring and 11-36, can do almost everything around here and with 50-11 keep up with everybody.
On my Q45 I have the standard 42 chainring, GX Eagle 12 speed RD and 10-50 cassette. Can climb anything, but on longer climbs the jumps are a tad big especially between the lowest gears. So for serious climbing I can imagine you would still want to consider 2*. But the combination 10-42 is a revelation - I do not run out of gears at the high end (over 30mph on the flat with wind in the back). Can imagine a V20c flying with 46T * 10-50
Interesting blog from one of the boutique gravel bike makers: https://opencycle.com/eu-en/blog/calculating-your-single-chainring-1x-gears

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Previously I was running a 11-28 cassette and 50/34 chainrings on my v20c.

I bought a single 46T chainring for my crankset and am going to do an electronic shifting upgrade sometime this summer (possibly a 1x12 setup).

In the meantime, I just left the derailleur as is and now have a 1x11 drivetrain. (46T x 11-28)

I did a 25 mile ride this morning and honestly don't feel like I was missing the extra chainring.

Anyway, I am happy now and don't have to deal with that cursed Front Derailleur.
Now just try a 11-42 wide range 11-speed cassette (46T x 11-42) and it will pretty much replace the 50/34 x 11-28 system.

You may just need to use a derailluer hanger extender
1713336939044.png
1713336675963.png

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
The 1x12 system is pretty attractive Cruzkurt. I have been kicking that idea around as well since virtually all of my rides on my V20 are flat. There are a few short 8-10 meter climbs that aren't very difficult to ascend even with my 54t chain ring and 11-30t cassette with a bit of run up. Your 46-28t would cover almost all of my rides as well. I would be switching to a 1x system too but I have a friend who likes to climb and we keep talking of heading to the hills and I am too lazy to switch between cranksets lol.

Ak-tux, if I could find a 12-speed 10-36 that fit on my Shimano free hub I would buy 2 of 'em ;)

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
The 1x12 system is pretty attractive Cruzkurt. I have been kicking that idea around as well since virtually all of my rides on my V20 are flat. There are a few short 8-10 meter climbs that aren't very difficult to ascend even with my 54t chain ring and 11-30t cassette with a bit of run up. Your 46-28t would cover almost all of my rides as well. I would be switching to a 1x system too but I have a friend who likes to climb and we keep talking of heading to the hills and I am too lazy to switch between cranksets lol.

Ak-tux, if I could find a 12-speed 10-36 that fit on my Shimano free hub I would buy 2 of 'em ;)
Well, you know , that tiny 10-tooth sprocket cannot fit a standard shimano HG free hub. It's just the way it is. :)

You have to change to either a Micro-Spline or an XD-SRAM hub. No other way . But the 10-36 cassettes are readily available, just not for HG hubs.

Flying Dutchman

10 tooth cogs can't be made to fit on the (by now very old) standard Shimano freehub, hence Shimano and SRAM developed their new (and of course different...) freehubs. I actually looked it up and the Shimano freehub was developed in the 1970's! So it's almost as old as I am :cool: