Introduce Q40-45ish

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I spent past several months to upgrade my 2021 Q45. The weather finally got decent, so I took it for a quick ride. everything seems to work, at least around the neighborhood. We will see if everything stays together when I ride to and from work later this week.

Major updates...
Thor GS large with Ventisit
Sram AXS GX, 10/52 cassette and chain
Kind A5 RR1 shock
HED wheels with XDR driver

The seat feels really supportive. I was blown away by AXS' shifting. No thumb pain and instant gear change. I also figured out how to install the air shock with accessible pump nozzle location. The trick is to install a standard bicycle shock bolt (comes with the air shock) and not to use the QR bolt.

Michael
20230429_150719.jpg

20230429_151028.jpg20230429_151014.jpg20230429_151042.jpg

2whluge

You have done the things I’ve thought of for my Q45. I have a Volae carbon seat that I’ve put thousands of miles on that I’m going to adapt to the Q. The AXS is intriguing. I want the 10/52 cassette anyway, why not move up to the AXS? How hard was that to set up? Did you have to make any other changes, like, to the chain?

The stock seat is not good for me and I tried a Bacchetta mesh (see my pic) but that had a really high step over and didn’t recline enough.

Thanks for the post!

Dennis

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
You have done the things I’ve thought of for my Q45. I have a Volae carbon seat that I’ve put thousands of miles on that I’m going to adapt to the Q. The AXS is intriguing. I want the 10/52 cassette anyway, why not move up to the AXS? How hard was that to set up? Did you have to make any other changes, like, to the chain?

The stock seat is not good for me and I tried a Bacchetta mesh (see my pic) but that had a really high step over and didn’t recline enough.

Thanks for the post!

Dennis
AXS - definitely. The incremental cost from manual to electronic shifting for GX wasn't too bad. The setup was really easy, even for me as a half way novice. You just screw on the RD to the hanger (make sure it's the updated version, not 2021 version 1). Adjust the limit screws and B screw. Pair with the shifter. That's it. I didn't even need to mess with minor adjusting the shifting. Compare to cable shifting, this is so fast to set up.

Chain does need to be changed to 12 speed (10/52). I didn't even need to cut the chain. Just the 126 links that came in the GX chain box. You also need to change the wheel hub to XD. I used the stock front 42t chainring. Seems to work. We will see. :)

I did not like the stock seat at all either. This new seat with neck rest is much better. I am sure your Volae seat will be really comfortable, too!

Good luck! I think these upgrades make the bike even much better!

Michael