Is there a prefered way to fall?

Frank Costantini

I just put the Kind A5-RR1 air shock on my QX100 yesterday, and took the bike out for a short trial ride. Unlike the roads where I commute to work (which really need the suspension) the neighbirhood roads were too smooth to test the shock, so I went looking for bumps. I spotted some elevated metal plates where the road was being repaired, and headed for them, not seeing that the second plate was covered with sand - perfect recipe for a fall! I came off the seat and landed hard on my “tailbone” - it was painful, but I was just badly bruised.

I haven't fallen many times before (only when I was trying clipless pedals for the first time, and took two falls, at zero speed, where I landed slowly on my elbow and hip) and I would have expected to land on my side, rather than fall completely off the bike and land on my butt. I’ve now velcro’d some foam tailbone padding into my biking shorts, and will add hip protection as well

In this case, it happened too fast to react, but if you know you’re going down is there a preferred way to land?

billyk

Guru
In this case, it happened too fast to react, but if you know you’re going down is there a preferred way to land?

It always happens too fast to react. Anyone able to choose which part of themselves takes the brunt of a fall is a better man than I.

Well, maybe at zero speed you can choose, but anything above about 15mph, you're gonna go where the physics is sending you.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
There are falls and there are crashes. I generally avoid the Artie Johnson falls by being very careful starting and stopping but if I am toppling over, I reach down with my palm and hold myself up as much as I can and often arrest it completely.

I decided that staying in the bent at speed is my choice unlike on an upright where up and over, tuck and roll is a viable option. There is time to think flying thru the air at 45 mph because time stops. I crashed for real four times on a bent. I don;t think there is a option other than riding it out on a bent? I suspect longtime upright riders like me have it worse when moving over to a bent because we have to unlearn what we took for granted because every single one of my four bent crashes never would have happened on an upright nor would they happen now simply because I know better. An ounce of prevention is worth a few pounds of cure. For instance, I would have no issue riding over wet metal bridges on an upright because slipping and sliding around is fun, but I walk them on my bent. Much more care is needed on railroad crossings than on an upright for a couple reasons. I would prefer not to have the elbow hit the metal track again.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Years ago I rode my Grasshopper into the side of a car, because I am an idiot. I broke my elbow. I think elbows are vulnerable. Every winter I say to myself I should get elbow-guards like skateboarders have. On a DF you can go slowly, then you won't go over the bars. On a 'bent, however slowly you go,if you slip the elbow gets it.

I do not have the kind of reactions that enable me to decide what to do as I fall. I was on the Silvio doing 27mph and both my tyres popped at once. I vaguely remember the boom turning right and jack-knifing, and I think I fell to the right. On the inside of my right wrist I had an injury that looked like I had been scratched by a lion. A series of parallel tracks cut into the skin. Must have been the chain. I have no idea how it came in contact with my wrist.

Best way to fall? Aim for the crash-mat.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
What I say to myself is: Don't unclip.

Arguably, you can damage yourself far more in the tendons, ligaments, etc. (Which take forever, if ever, to heal) by having 'road suck' bend your leg in ways it can't deal with when you have your foot touch down.

Road rash (the alternative, which definitely happens when you don't unclip) isn't wonderful, but you heal from it relatively quickly in most cases.