It’s Alive, IT’S ALIVE

Racer46

I bought this kit from HIKERBIKER last month. The donor is a cheap-o Huffy mountain bike that had been sitting in the shed since I discovered recumbents. It’s a little tall but so far I’m not having any problems with panic stops, although I did have to check my underwear one time when I did an un-intentional stoppie (rear wheel lifted off the ground). I’ve only got about 5 miles on the conversion so far and at this point I’m not very comfortable with it but I’m sure this will come with time. Once I get comfortable riding this bike I’ll find a better donor, one with a full suspension that will support my currently fat butt. The front shock / spring on this one bottoms out when I transition from the driveway to the street and back.

Here are some pictures of the finished bike. I’ve already changed the quill. I couldn’t get the 1” one to hold in the extender tube with the spacer so I picked up a 1 1/8” quill out of the LBS’s used parts box.

cruz_r10.jpg

cruz_l10.jpg

cruz_r11.jpg

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for posting the pics over here, Pete.

I think you'll get a handle on the bike pretty quickly... Be mindful of your hips... They can be your friend, but they can be your worst enemy. Keep in mind where the steering is, basically right between your legs. Too much hip action is bad, unless you need to make a sudden move. Relax your mind, your body will figure the bike out on it's own, just fine!

Mark

Racer46

I forgot to mention. Thanx to Mark B., Hardtailcruizer & Defjack for all their help on the Recumbent Riders Social Club forum.

Racer46

The bars are at sholder level when I'm on the bike. Probably too high but I'm not going to shorten the extender tube until I have the final, as yet unknown, donor built. Being as I'm fat I needed the bar to be forward of the extender tube otherwise it would be in my chest. At the height in the picture my knees just barely touched the bar on some turns so making it lower is not an option. I am looking in to getting some "cruiser bars" which will allow my hands to be lower.

Pete

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Very nice bike, Pete...

I'd agree and reconmmend you not change much until you've gotten comfortable riding; then the things you want to change will be clearer.

Have Fun,