Its About Time

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
VeloLEV wrote: Ordered my Silvio frameset today. I am so excited I don't know what to say!!! :shock: :shock:

Considering your location, I would suggest;

YEEEEE-HAAAAAW!!

Have fun!

Mark

VeloLEV

Its coincidental you should mention that... lol! My step-dad, mom, grandma and real dad all root for UT, so I root for Tech just to be different. I'm not a big football fan, but I enjoy the family time despite the fact we're in front of the boob tube.

So I now have a large choice of components, and can get an employee purchase (up to %10 off COST) for a new Trek or Specialized bike, sell the frame and have new components for nada. OR I can get SRAM grouppo through our SRAM rep for %20 off cost... Ah, the benefits of working as a bicycle mechanic.

Depeche Mode: I just can't get enough, just can't get enough.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Discount pricing is always good! Looking forward to seeing pics of your build!

Mark

VeloLEV

Ah, the moment arrived today when the frame was carried in to the shop and I saw the Silvio name in huge letters on the box. Since I was working I couldn't open it right away... waited until lunch and pulled the main frame and suspension fork out to show the guys. They still don't get it, but they will.

The frame and components are beyond my expectations! Photos indeed do no justice to the beauty of the object in your hands. My only caveat would be a few missing parts and unfinished carbon parts. I've sent all the details to CRUZBIKE. Besides, the powdercoater called today to say my Steamroller is coated. Tomorrow I'll pick it up and put it together. I'll have something to occupy my bike lust until I get everything my Silvio needs.

Sigh.

I really wanted to try this bike out right away.

VeloLEV

Not much was missing, nothing major. The velcro to stick to the seat pan and the rubber trim strip for the edge, both items I can get here. The real problem is the rear carbostay, it will not fit in the frame. It seems to be missing the sanded finish, as it is still shiny. The front carbostay slid easily into the two dropout pieces, and it does have the sanded finish. John emailed me to confirm this, but cannot immediately ship a replacement since he's overseas. Here is a photo, can you see the problem?

carbostay.jpg

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
VeloLEV wrote: Not much was missing, nothing major. The velcro to stick to the seat pan and the rubber trim strip for the edge, both items I can get here. The real problem is the rear carbostay, it will not fit in the frame. It seems to be missing the sanded finish, as it is still shiny. The front carbostay slid easily into the two dropout pieces, and it does have the sanded finish. John emailed me to confirm this, but cannot immediately ship a replacement since he's overseas. Here is a photo, can you see the problem?

I had issues getting my rear carbostay into Silvio I. I think it was sanded, though. I used a clamp and pressed it together and all was fine. Once it started, it went in pretty easily, so it could have been a goober in the bike paint, too.

I'm surprised about the missing parts. Are you sure the velcro isn't attached to the velcro on the seat pads? I believe mine was on one bike, but not on the other. I unpacked/built two Silvios and had no missing or damaged parts. Stuff happens, I guess. Regarding the seat trim. When you get to that part, I found a product that works really well; Gorilla Glue. What you do is apply the GG to the rim of the seat edge. Then, use a damp paper towel to wipe out the inside of the trim. The directions for the glue instruct you to dampen one surface and I found the trim to be the easiest to do. Press the trim in place and tape it down tight in a few places until the glue sets. I recommend you do not cut the piece that goes on the seat pan, where it wraps over the down-tube. Leave it in one piece. I cut mine on Silvio I, then saw Jack's, which was left in one piece. I sure like the clean looks of the single strip wrapping all the way around the pan better, so on Silvio II, I left it whole.

Sorry for your troubles. I guess at least you have the Steamroller to keep you occupied.

Mark

WhiteSilvio

VeloLEV wrote: Besides, the powdercoater called today to say my Steamroller is coated. Tomorrow I'll pick it up and put it together. I'll have something to occupy my bike lust until I get everything my Silvio needs.
Hi VeloLEV,
Just a quick question, one of curiosity more than anything.
What exactly is this "Steamroller" that you refer to?

I mean I think I know what a Steamroller is, it's a type of confectionery that's sold in packets of about 20 and is a round disk, OD approximately 20mm, thickness 5 or 6mm and a hole in the middle, ID 6mm, minty in flavour if I recall correctly. (It's a long time since I had one.) Now I'm wondering why you'd need to powdercoat it before consuming it?

Or alternatively are you building a steam traction engine powered device with large metal wheels weighing tonnes used to considerably flatten things?

Please enlighten me. :?
Seasons greetings from Oz,
John R.
PS Can't wait to see pix of the finished Silvio frame. Sounds like an amazing colour/color. I still reckon the bike lends itself to other than basic black and if you do a tail box the graphics should of course extend onto this. Hope the assembly goes ok.

WhiteSilvio

Re: Steamroller:

trapdoor2 wrote: Go here: http://www.surlybikes.com/steamroller.html

It's a purpose-built fixed gear frame. Way cool.
Thanks Marc,
So what is it with fixed speed / fixie bikes? Do they not only have only one speed but they don't freewheel? Is that right? How does one corner without having a pedal contact the ground?
When I was much younger my first bike was single speed (but it did freewheel) and I couldn't wait to get one with gears.
I know courier riders seem to have a preference for fixed speed bikes and around this part of the world there is a group who run their fixed speed bikes the first, or maybe last, Friday of every month, in preference to their regular DF bikes (to give the bikes a run?).
Maybe it's something one has to experience. I certainly have a lot of admiration for the better riders of these machines, particularly when they keep up with, or go faster than, riders on their 20speed 7kg bikes!! I just can't imagine how they do it, uphill and down dale.

Oh and I think I may have been confusing Steamrollers and Lifesavers. Steamrollers didn't have holes in the middle. I think they were solid with concave hemispherical indents on either side. But they were minty, I think. It's a long time since I've been in the "confectionery set"! :D

Thanks,
John R.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Fixed gears are fun, but they are another ball of wax, altogether. Purpose built fixies usually run shorter cranks to prevent pedal contact with the ground, but usually, you just take the corners shallower.

The thing about a fixed gear is the sense of connectivity you sense with the bike and the road. Uncanny and hard to explain. The bike just responds. It's also about the simplicity. No shifters, no derailleurs, no silly bits that need adjusting or lubricating except a brake (if you're smart) and a chain.

Without the derailleur and extra chain sucking up power, these beasts climb really well.... super effecient. The only issue is descents, because your legs can't stop, your only choice is to slow the bike with the break, your legs, or, let it rip and pedal your behind off! Also, without all the other bits, what was once a 20+ pound bike is now a 17-18 pound lean machine!

Great fun and now that I have enough weight off, I think I might get mine out and ride it some more.

Mark

VeloLEV

Fixed riding is altogether a different cycling experience. I was initially attracted to them for their simplicity. When I started working at the bike shop I took a Specialized Langster, flopped the rear wheel to the fixed side, installed my clipless pedals and tried it. It's disconcerting at first, but feels so good you start really liking it. The whole bike acts like a flywheel, keeing you going. The fixed gear gallery inspired me to create my own bicycle art. http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/ The candy paint I selected for the Surly looks phenomenal. Just like layering laquer thick in the old hot rod days the paint appears wet and deep. With the black components, Brooks saddle and white rims this bike is HOT. Since I'm building it piece by piece I expected to run into some issues, and completely forgot to compensate for the longer distance between the front brake mounting hole and the rim, and the brake I bought doesn't fit. Also the crankset I have isn't lining up with the rear cog, it seems I missed something when I ordered it.

LOL! I got two new bikes at the same time, and I can't ride either one!

VeloLEV

Lev's Silvio is gathering speed. A replacement carboyoke is on its way, and all my components have arrived. Laced and trued my new DT Swiss parts into sexy wheels last night and unpacked each SRAM Red component tonight so I won't go nuts without this bike. I'm sure this frame will be coloured, but I'm going to build it first and ride it. I can't wait any longer! Would someone post a new photo of their Silvio with some snow in the background? Is that too much to ask? :mrgreen:

:cool: