It's amazing how an approaching storm will boost your riding speed

The Brook

I commute to work every day on my Freerider, usually I carry some rain equipment with me, but I had taken it out of my saddlebag to let it dry after the previous day's rain, so, after checking the Wednesday forecast, which didn't mention any possible rain, I did my commute that morning, no problems
But, as the afternoon went on, a Violent Thunderstorm watch was issued, and I kept an eye out on the skies, seemed okay.
At the end of my workday, I got on the bike, and noticed that the skies seemed to be darkening, so I really hammered the pedals on my commute back. I did the 8 mile commute in 27 minutes, a ride that usually takes me 35 minutes ( I commute in the City, with numerous lights and Stop signs that I cannot safely ignore, so my average speed is not very remarkable). I often saw 25 mph on my bike computer, pretty good on a heavy commuting bike. I got home about 2 minutes before the skies opened up, I was a tired, but dry rider.
Maybe I should pretend a storm is coming every day to help me push harder:D

Ride safely and enjot the ride,
Denis

McWheels

Off the long run
My commute used to be through Richmond Park. During the rut (Red Deer) and after sundown. Something 4 times heavier than me, that's in the dark, is horny, and has 4ft knives on its head is 'somewhere' judging by the sound. I also arrived home more tired.

billyk

Guru
Yup. Had a thunderstorm bearing down on me coming home yesterday, made it about 20% faster than my usual time. Most of that was humping it on the uphill. I can't go much faster than usual on the flat; like @The Brook , traffic can't be ignored.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
You think deer are bad? There used to be cows on Wanstead Flats. They used to wander all over the place. They used to run across the road. Nearly got me.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Generally cows :emoji_cow2: are of the dumb accidental accident type where deer in rut :emoji_deer: are more the intentional charging at you accident. Either way raises the heart rate for free and provide additional incentive to ride and be alert.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Downunda we have cute drop bears that eat bikes .

Crocodiles that ride them after stashing the rider under a submerged log.

The Majority of the worlds most venomous snakes masquerading as bicycle tyres.

Boxing kangaroos that respond to a bicycle bell with a viscous one two disembowelling lunge.

Funnel web and red back spiders whom occupy a stationary bicycle within the hour.

Magpies with human ear collections.

Wedge tail eagles with the remains of tag a long bikes.

Wombats that know they are speed bumps.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Rain doesn't get me moving, I always carry rain gear. You know why there ain't no deadly critters and insects in NZ, all the rain. They all went over to Oz on holiday and never came back

Hail and any thunder claps in the distance get me. I figure I won't get a second chance with lightning.

Crossing a mountain pass somewhere in Montana or Wyoming, I saw the most amazing cloud formation and just had to stop for a photo during Transam. The wind must have been 50 mph.....behind me. Huge hail starts pinging off my magnesium framed bike, it sounded really odd in a clangy sort of way but they were pretty big hunks of ice and they also really hurt. It was about 20 miles gently downhill with a massive tailwind, I spun out the 53x11 down on the aerobars - I am sure some weenie somewhere flagged that Strava KOM

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Grew up in the midwest; all weather comes from the west. Went to school in FL and when for a ride heading west for 4 hours. Turned east to head back and was staring at the blackest sky I’ve to this date seen. Discovered how SLOW a approach storm can make you.