Jack and Mark ride the SART

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
On Saturday, October 3, Jack and I met at Yorba Regional Park for what was supposed to be the SoCal Cruz-In. The weather was threatening rain, so Jack and I were the only brave souls that showed up. Actually, there were a couple others that brought the wrong bikes (uprights). They took off before we left, as we waited to see if others would come.

Eventually, we gave up and headed of up the Sata Ana River Trail. Jack said he would be fine if I set the cruise at about 17-20, so off we went. We made pretty good time going down and reconnected with the upright riders we had spoken with at the beach. We decided to head across the river into Newport for a bite to eat before heading back.

The trip back was nice as we had a pretty good tailwind the first few miles. We got back to the starting point in smart fashion, visited a little more before heading home. The weather ended up being great; not too hot, not too cold. I got a few little sprinkes on my windshield on the way home, but not enough to run my windshield wipers. It was fun seeing Jack and riding with him again. We're already planning a San Diego ride sometime in the near future.

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
I had a good time and want to do some more rides on the SART trail.Its always fun riding with Mark. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I should mention that we only saw three recumbents on the trail all day. One was a lowish racer kind, another was a LWB, perhaps an EZ something or other and the third was one of those Giant semi recumbent thingies, I believe. That was about it! I guess all the recumbents decided to stay home on Saturday.

I thought just for a moment about taking Jack for a visit to People Movers in Orange, then decided that could wait for another time. It was still cloudy and dark and even though it never rained, I was looking forward to being back before it decided to, IF it decided to.

Mark

drshuf

I ended up doing the ride on Sunday from Katella (near angels stadium) with a friend on an upright carbon bike. We were easily cruising between 18 and 20 mph all the way to the beach and back. Normally, I have trouble keeping up with this guy when we are riding the hilly area at home (Claremont) but on this terrain, I had no problem keeping up. In fact, felt like I was pushing him a bit. The trail is a great ride, especially when you get to see the ocean on the horizon.
Next time, we'll probably start at Yorba linda park. The 35 miles we did was very easy and I'm sure I could do a further distance without problem.
Reid

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
drshuf wrote: I ended up doing the ride on Sunday from Katella (near angels stadium) with a friend on an upright carbon bike. We were easily cruising between 18 and 20 mph all the way to the beach and back. Normally, I have trouble keeping up with this guy when we are riding the hilly area at home (Claremont) but on this terrain, I had no problem keeping up. In fact, felt like I was pushing him a bit. The trail is a great ride, especially when you get to see the ocean on the horizon.
Next time, we'll probably start at Yorba linda park. The 35 miles we did was very easy and I'm sure I could do a further distance without problem.
Reid

It's too bad you couldn't have joined us on Saturday!

Mark

drshuf

Next time, I really like that ride. I was busy on Sat, and Sunday turned out to be perfect weather. Give me a head's up when you are going again.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
drshuf wrote: Next time, I really like that ride. I was busy on Sat, and Sunday turned out to be perfect weather. Give me a head's up when you are going again.

Abslutely, I will give you the heads up.

Mark