just acquired a completed conversion and i have questions

kidneyboy

hi everyone,
i have had a completed 24" conversion for a month or so and while i'm having a great time riding around i do have a few questions and comments.
first, reading this forum before i actually rode the bike helped a LOT. i was able to anticipate, or understand, some of the learning curve beforehand. it is a blast to ride.
1080_404f281f05210df7fadeeb2b8dc321f0

some questions; the cockpit is a bit cramped. i'm not a big guy, 5'8", and i'm reasonably comfy from the hips down but i could use some suggestions to modify the seat post to lean the seat back a bit more.
i just read the handlebar thread and i think i can work on stretching my arms out a bit with some help from my lbs.
i could really use a manual, or the instructions, that would have come with the original conversion. i have been tweeking the conversion a bit but a manual would really help.
the chainrings, cranks and front deraileurs will eventually be replaced and some recommendations would be helpful.
a source for 24" tires would also be helpful. the original mtb knobbies are still on the bike.

thanks in advance

chuck

JonB

Zen MBB Master
kidneyboy wrote: hi everyone,
i have had a completed 24" conversion for a month or so and while i'm having a great time riding around i do have a few questions and comments.
first, reading this forum before i actually rode the bike helped a LOT. i was able to anticipate, or understand, some of the learning curve beforehand. it is a blast to ride.
[attachment]cruzbike 002.JPG[/IMG]

some questions; the cockpit is a bit cramped. i'm not a big guy, 5'8", and i'm reasonably comfy from the hips down but i could use some suggestions to modify the seat post to lean the seat back a bit more.
Yes, it does look a bit cramped. Did you put the black metal parts that attaches to the seat post between the seatpost and the seat pan, or did you turn it around on the outside? If that is not enough, some people have bended their seatpost so the seat can come back more.

kidneyboy wrote: i just read the handlebar thread and i think i can work on stretching my arms out a bit with some help from my lbs.
i could really use a manual, or the instructions, that would have come with the original conversion. i have been tweeking the conversion a bit but a manual would really help.
the chainrings, cranks and front deraileurs will eventually be replaced and some recommendations would be helpful.
a source for 24" tires would also be helpful. the original mtb knobbies are still on the bike.

thanks in advance

chuck
Tires? What about schwalbe.com? As for gearing, i love my Rohloff, but it is not DE-RAIL-ure.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Calhoun cycle has several choices. Looks like 24" wheels come in a ISO 507 and ISO 520...look on your current tires and see if they mention the ISO size as they are not interchangable. My guess is that they're ISO 507.

http://www.calhouncycle.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=149

Getting the seat to lay back further can be a challenge (esp if the seat bottom cannot be moved forward). I finally got mine back to a 45 degree angle by shifting the seat-post clamp as far towards the bottom of the seat rails as possible and adjusting the seat bottom to get the angle I wanted.

As Jon says, some have reverted to bending the seat post a few degrees.

kidneyboy

i may have to try bending the seat post back a few degrees. should not be to much of a problem. thanks for the tire suggestions.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Here is one of mine, Also loosen everything up and lower the seat post as much as possible.You might have to move your seat brackets around and move the seat pan forward. Jack

kidneyboy

defjack,
i did all of these things before i posted. this weekend i'll take some time to bend a few seatposts and see what happens. if i get my shoulders back a bit and switch to cruiser bars i think things will work out. the cockpit almost has the feel of the volae i had, which was very comfortable.

chuck

kidneyboy

rearengine,
that is an excellent steering set-up. would you have a closeup pic or an explanationof parts?

rearengine

Kidnyboy

This is it on a different frame.. It is made up from parts I had .. the bottom part of the riser is from a Burlly recumbent riser, turned upside down, and cut off and slotted to take a clamp.. The top curved part is from a Rans riser slipped inside and clamped with a two bolt clamp.. Bill
78_5e8b1673d111a7037873bb57bc6ed56f

enjoybiking

kidneyboy wrote: hi everyone,
[attachment]cruzbike 002.JPG[/IMG]

i just read the handlebar thread and i think i can work on stretching my arms out a bit with some help from my lbs.

thanks in advance

chuck

You may wish to think about supporting the seatback from the rear drop-outs if there are eyelets on both sides. You could CUT off the seat-tube...though a nub of it would be nice to prevent the worm-clamps from ever sliding off the rear of the boom, don't laugh it happened on a SoftRide beam on the RAAM one year I hear, OUCH!!

enjoybiking

rearengine wrote: Or maybe this..[attachment]Picture 003.jpg[/IMG]

So is your pick of a Tiara with 26" wheels or 650C? I prefer 26" what with all the variety of rubber available cheap/plentiful.
Your bike LQQks wonderful!

rearengine

Enjoybikeing...

26" wheels on the bike,because of availability.. I would like to have 24" to lower the bike even more.. This picture is how I set it up originally, but my arms & sholders feel better lower down.. Bill
78_9e7a24afcef8b08e901b6ff169e8605f

enjoybiking

rearengine wrote: Enjoybikeing...

26" wheels on the bike,because of availability.. I would like to have 24" to lower the bike even more.. This picture is how I set it up originally, but my arms & sholders feel better lower down.. Bill[attachment]Bikes 0022.jpg[/IMG]

So, how high is a Tiara's seat-boom-tube-top with 26" wheels on?

rearengine

Enjoybiking

I believe it was 24" at the back of the seat.. I don't have the kit on that frame now.. I can't stop tinkering yaknow... Take care Bill
78_ff1d8d5592181e4a674c6d0b1d826876

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
rearengine wrote: I can't stop tinkering yaknow...

Me neither, Bill...

Your bikes are always so nicely turned-out...

With the smaller front wheel, you might be interested in a larger chainring. I bought a 60t chainring for 110mm spider cranks at Calhoun Ccle a number of years ago; it was only $20 and was made under the "Avatar" brand...

IMG_2766.jpg

It's not ramped or pinned, but you could pin it with a drillpress and a few pins out of a chain. A 60-50-39 triple could be shifted with a road triple derailleur if you're careful with the cage alignment...

Cool Bike!

Best,

Doug

teacherbill

Hardtailcruzer wrote:

It's not ramped or pinned, but you could pin it with a drillpress and a few pins out of a chain. A 60-50-39 triple could be shifted with a road triple derailleur if you're careful with the cage alignment...
Doug

With that type of gearing riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway should be a blast plus a bit. I wonder what the top end speed would be?

kidneyboy

You may wish to think about supporting the seatback from the rear drop-outs if there are eyelets on both sides. You could CUT off the seat-tube...though a nub of it would be nice to prevent the worm-clamps from ever sliding off the rear of the boom, don't laugh it happened on a SoftRide beam on the RAAM one year I hear, OUCH!![/QUOTE]

this is an option i am considering. i would have to make it a hardtail but i wouldn't mind that for now.

rearengine

HI doug ! I rode the tiara around the block just one time with the 20" wheel on the front. I hadn't planned on leaving it on. As I remember the trail was 0 or about. It didn't handle well, and not comfortable with the seat bottom so flat.. The hub in that wheel is a Cappreo, with a 9 tooth top gear,and 26 bottom , giving a 21"/ 106" gear range.. front rings are 30 - 42- 52 .. My old knees wouldn't be able to push the 60 i'm afraid.. That little Tiara frame is going through another transition , I'll post some pix latter.. Thanks for the good words... Take care Bill

Hey John!! what ever subversive means ,I've been that way for 80 years... :lol: You take care also Bill