Just starting out with the Q45

SteveE

Hi ! I recently bought the Q45 and am in the early stages of learning how to ride it. Very different from my Rans LWB I had a few years back. I've looked at the training videos and read a bunch of forum threads on starting out, so I "think" my experience is typical. So far, I’ve done about 6 miles in parking lots and just did 7 miles today on a rail trail. I’ve got some very colorful bruises from a couple of spills while practicing turns and S-curves. I am able to ride “fairly” straight. But, I occasionally feel like I’m losing control of steering. When that happens, it feels like, once the wheel turns to the right or left, it will dramatically and quickly keep turning, spiraling the bike into a crash. That’s how the bruises came about.

However, everything I read says that this is all normal. I think I will really like the bike once I get more used to it. So I am determined to just log the miles and believe I will eventually get used to the whole thing. I'm hoping that, at the 100 mile mark, I'll be where the more experienced of you are at and will be posting about my success. Meanwhile, the challenge of learning something that’s physical and new at my age is actually a bit exciting.

Cheers !

Steve

Brad

Hi ! I recently bought the Q45 and am in the early stages of learning how to ride it. Very different from my Rans LWB I had a few years back. I've looked at the training videos and read a bunch of forum threads on starting out, so I "think" my experience is typical. So far, I’ve done about 6 miles in parking lots and just did 7 miles today on a rail trail. I’ve got some very colorful bruises from a couple of spills while practicing turns and S-curves. I am able to ride “fairly” straight. But, I occasionally feel like I’m losing control of steering. When that happens, it feels like, once the wheel turns to the right or left, it will dramatically and quickly keep turning, spiraling the bike into a crash. That’s how the bruises came about.

However, everything I read says that this is all normal. I think I will really like the bike once I get more used to it. So I am determined to just log the miles and believe I will eventually get used to the whole thing. I'm hoping that, at the 100 mile mark, I'll be where the more experienced of you are at and will be posting about my success. Meanwhile, the challenge of learning something that’s physical and new at my age is actually a bit exciting.

Cheers !

Steve
in the same place as you. 5 days in with my new Q45. Can now ride semi straight- still working on turns but all in all, enjoying the challenge. Looking forward to when I can take bike for a leisurely ride

Flying Dutchman

I've had my Q45 for almost 3 months now and happily cruise one-handed by now. So far typically 1/2-hour - 1-hour rides but last weekend I took it out for a 2 1/2 hour ride for the first time - that was hard work! I regularly do 2-hour rides on relatively light DF bikes so taking on the hills on the Q45 was quite something else. But the comfort is great - no wrist-pains, no lower back pains.