Kind Shock Dual Air Rear Shock

Scott

2 questions:
  1. Is this still available?
  2. do you know if this will work if I run lower pressures to try and have the shock compress to a normal length when riding - or would it be too "bouncy"?
Scott

kdc

Hi Scott.

Yes, still available. I'm not sure of your second question, however. I'm sorry! There may be (probably are) other folks on the forum, however, that can answer it.

Sorry I can't help more but let me know if you'd like to give it a try!

Thanks!
Kevin

benphyr

Guru-me-not
It seems reasonable that it may make the steering more sensitive since the geometry is changed. See sizes and travel in this post:
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/q45-first-two-rides.13286/#post-160271
The difference is 25mm total length (150-125mm) and 10mm difference in travel length (30-20mm) so I went downstairs to my QX100 (Quest with rigid fork) on the trainer and measured the head tube angle with the standard size 125mm A5-RR1 at full extension and then released it and rotated the frame to where it would be with a 150mm A5-RR1 at full extension. I was using an iPhone to measure the angle so I'm not sure how accurate it is and my QX100 is on the trainer so the absolute angle is inaccurate but the difference was a not insignificant 5 or 6 degrees of head tube angle. That will be slightly less once you factor in the angles at ideal sag (20-30% per @superslim's post). I would think that the pressures would need to be lower with the 150mm anyway since the chamber is larger but if you want to sag it down to match the extension of the 125mm that would probably get you bottoming out the shock wouldn't it? because go to 125mm at 20% sag (of 20mm) would be 4mm shorter ie. 121mm whereas the 150mm with 30mm travel would require very low pressure 96% sag to be the same effective shock extension.

I know that might not help you decide... I would tend to want to try it just to try it and see what it feels like.

You could also go for a mullet bike setup with a larger wheel up front and a smaller wheel in the back (all business up front, all party in the back). The wheel would be extra strong, might be lighter weight and the longer shock would certainly have that much more travel than stock which could be better than wide tires could provide.

(Now I know why the shock angle had to change so much when shock was switched to 165mm for the Q45!)

billyk

Guru
Nice discussion from @benphyr . Interesting solution using different size wheels. Also an interesting point about the longer shock allowing more travel, thus more shock absortion. (Or at least more tolerance to strong shocks). The 125 is really short and has little travel.

But there's nothing magical about the head tube angle CB has chosen. You might like the feel of a steeper angle. And as benphyr points out, the shock at the same pressure would sag more, so the difference might not be that great. (Though note the difference here between my pontificating and benphyr's actual. measurement!)

I suggest you get the shock, test it out, and report the real life experience to us.