Larry's Century World Record attempt of June 12, 2022

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Better late than never ! haha

Executive Summary:

On June 12, 2022 at 5:40am I took off on my quest to become the oldest person to ride an unfaired bike 100 miles in under 4-hours. This was on an ordinary road in Savannah Ga with less than average surface quality. I was riding a Cruzbike Prototype built by John Morciglio. It was about 80 degrees F at the start with constant winds at 5mph that steadily increased to >15mph by the end of the attempt.
I felt pretty sluggish after a 2 mile warmup wondering if I could ride twice that hard for 4 hours straight. I rode at an average pace of 26.1mph for the first 50 miles and managed to accumulate a buffer of over 4 minutes above the average goal speed of 25.0 mph. Then I cut back to about 95% max effort. At about the 74 mile mark my right hamstring cramped up. I recovered and continued on with a little less effort trying to hold off any further cramping. At about mile 83 both hamstrings cramped up and again I had to stop pedaling to massage both legs but I did not stop riding. I again gingerly continued an even lower effort level. By this time the wind was also the strongest and I was fatigued and hurting now. The only thing I needed to do was to make sure I did not have to stop and totally abort due to severe cramps. I successfully managed to complete the final 17 miles and finished with a final time of 3:56:58.73. This was good enough to give me several titles:
#1 - Oldest Male to ride unfaired bike 100 miles in under 4 hours (WUCA and GWR)
https://ultracycling.com/archive/re...es-in-under-4-hours-unfaired-bike-2022-06-12/
#2 - Fastest 100 Miles on Road Course on recumbent bike at 3:56:58.73 (WUCA and GWR)
https://ultracycling.com/archive/record/larry-oslund-100-mile-road-record-recumbent-2022-06-12/
#3 - Fastest 100 Km on Road Course on recumbent bike at 02:24:33.65 (WUCA and GWR)
https://ultracycling.com/archive/record/larry-oslund-100-km-road-record-recumbent-2022-06-12/

0H2U8uxHgG8bCJybPkU7Uq7dzAqZwWdhMFrh2Ol4N5FZBsk5A_RHMhrqbUvC6x42SmoF5WX07eXHOxXI0oROlXapkRv7h4GoJtYwOVTcSS2PYcDIlKTsDWrRsOi2h8gL4qjsibuiL9Uli7cWiz0

The course is about a 1.13 mile loop around an Industrial park. The pavement is a little old but there is only 1 way in or out and most of the lots are vacant so the traffic is practically non-existent - especially at 6am on Sunday. Here is a Google Earth view of it. Yeah it’s kind of boring, but for a record attempt that is what you want!
qDMn3IOGnNo8nRGWQfW8RKkWb1Sv5Ce5sz1RWzoxXiIofeemqjCo9bCHY_vGKKjN_Hww04mco3RACcGcQ5QERbbPfbz2NigXgHs3hhE5oISHWCgo9koKJ7f92PP1qDQzxafJNjeJgIc7dNire4w

Blessings to all of you who made helped make this possible, Larry Oslund
qgnMjCqojUaZRm7zXgTNOQxhTrPor_P8BLuqMqY3nJKz-xm-5Du_bkc8WggaB-xGB2Z6OlIGzja458G5tC6p6Nh2V0xJoGqM9A-wTA8A2PseCywJqlO-oMJ6Ykkqj0AWkLDJ4VnhWnKLVJQm0Q

What is next: Maybe the oldest person to break the 500 mile barrier in less than 24-hours?

vmWfbZezKBmNS-4VB4pFA39n9vfGcJdhrtu1bC5XTDPvE8kbMnX2YQbMOHb-yd-mFLFvW64lxKqto-8jFeuJXkrvMN94zGjX-4ibya81DwITVvyfrp_jvX5OrfVdfVLd16umwsyWxJiLmJRMEbs

NOTE: If you want to read the full report here it is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xLO5-i1r8E5l4AJp0D7nfEWiX38O4B8bRT8YIJUCRH8/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

CuHead

I was wondering how you did it, then saw the heart rate figures and cadence. Amazing cardio capability. I once read a guy went for a bicycle endurance record on a loop course and he rode on an unbroken white stripe; white rubber stripes are speedy. Great job.

CuHead

the 74 mile mark my right hamstring cramped

When I start to get leg cramp, I focus on adding extra pull on upstroke while continuing some push on downstroke. It often stops the cramp in a minute or less. Repeat a few times. What else to avoid getting off the bike? Hydration Multiplier that I bought at Costco maybe helps; I use one on hot days. 100 miles solo in under 4 hours is an eye opener.

Attachments

• IMG_hydration.jpg
    IMG_hydration.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 11

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Love to see it when people push themselves to new levels and it has been educational and great entertainment to watch as well as inspirational to push myself to new levels. Congrats Larry! That is awesome and well deserved!