Late but Great, High Speed race report

trplay

Zen MBB Master
This race report is By Capt Josh and found on the Unofficial Cruzbike Race Board: It is looking good for Thursday as Low Drag has a full roster for the first time in our history. They are gonna rock. No longer fighting to stay off the bottom. This week's goal is to be the fastest Mocha team without a C racer on the roster! Moving on up! We still have room for racers in High Speed.

High Speed Race Report – Sept 17, 2020

This week, the WTRL TTT took us through three laps of Astoria 8 Line in New York. Luckily, this route is all on the ground, but that does not make it easy. The course covers the length and width of Central Park with quite a few steep climbs on every lap.

High Speed came out with a really good team consisting of Jim, Ken, Matt, Rob L, and Josh. This week we had a mild wait time of only 5 minutes and luckily that left us with a few rabbits to chase down. During the wait time, Josh made sure everyone had at least a general knowledge of what the course was going to entail.

The team shot out of the gates and quickly rejoined on the course. Most of these riders have been riding together for weeks / months now and are use to how each of us starts. Josh continued to give on the course updates about what was coming up. The team could see the Coyotes on the map with the time to them slowly ticking down. We passed the Coyotes in the first lap; a few on the second climb as part of the first loop and the rest a bit later.

We knew our brothers in Low Drag left 3 minutes ahead of us, so we kept an eye out for them. Low Drag was riding really well and it was not until almost halfway through the race that we caught them heading back across the length of Central Park!

img_0342.png

During the second and third laps, we had a team come from behind us; TFC. They passed us just before we passed Low Drag. We then caught back up to them and passed them back by the spring banner on the same lap! Sadly, that did not last long. Just as we were kicking up the pace to pass TFC to avoid their draft, Jim had a trainer power drop. We had 4 of us in front of TFC, but our stronger rider was now 25 seconds behind us! We told TFC to pass us back and slowed up for Jim to catch us. Jim caught back up with us at the start banner for our third lap.

On the third lap, we hit the first loop. This loop has two big climbs. Josh let the team know that if he was dropped, they were to keep going; perhaps Josh needs to do more riding so he stops getting dropped. Up they went on the first climb and in the last 100 meters, the split happened. Down the team went with Josh trailing by several seconds. Before the next climb though, he was able to pull through and lead the team into the climb. Unfortunately, it was one climb too far. The team pulled away during this climb with the front 4 riders.

The rest of the last lap was uneventful. Josh switched his camera to the lead riders and kept up the encouragement as well as course layout. The team performed flawlessly. At the end, High Speed finished 21 out of 41 with a time of 1:02:07. We were hoping for just under 1 hour, but it wasn’t to be this week.

screenshot-from-2020-09-21-09-38-36.png

• img_0340.png
  • img_0341.png
  • img_0342-1.png
  • img_0343.png
  • img_0344.png
  • img_0345.png
  • img_0346.png
  • img_0347.png
  • img_0348.png

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Hi TRP.....may I ask some dumb questions?

Is this a cruzbike only race?

Why does it show riders in the upright position? Is it a mixed race (bents with uppities)?

I am thinking of trying Zwift for some MoJo to get back into shape. You all have high heart rates......I must be a diesel....LOL

Hi TRP.....may I ask some dumb questions?

Is this a cruzbike only race?

Why does it show riders in the upright position? Is it a mixed race (bents with uppities)?

I am thinking of trying Zwift for some MoJo to get back into shape. You all have high heart rates......I must be a diesel....LOL

The HR in some of those is mine and I can push it over 180 still when I try.

As for the race, we mostly have recumbent riders with just a few DF riders who are open to recumbents. Vast majority of other teams are all DF riders; Moose calls out all the recumbent riders we know of so far regardless of team. The reason everyone is shown on DFs is that Zwift does not have a recumbent bike in game. So while we have a lot of recumbent riders, the game just shows everyone on DF bikes. We also lose our aero advantage numbers that we would have outside.

If you are interested, just let us know if you want in this week or next. Our rosters change every week depending on who is racing that week. If you have been on Zwift and completed any races, send Moose your ZwiftPower profile so he can see how ZP categorizes you.

trplay

Zen MBB Master

@ed72 Well, Ed! Josh answered everything but I'm so happy to see you finally get interested I gotta jump in. This stuff is made for you. There are 450 something teams going towards 600 plus for the winter. So they ride everything. This is all about training hard while actually having fun and support while doing it. Come join in. The sooner the better. If you have a smart trainer right now we have time to get you in this Thursday race. Don't wait to jump in and if you don't like it jump back out just as fast as you came. Don't forget this isn't an individual race. We are teaming it so it is a group race with group strategies. I know we gotcha if I can sucker you in.

Last edited:

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Thanks. I do need to get a Zwift account. I am not in very good shape. Guess my current W/Kg is maybe 2.6-2.8 but not sure.....is that too low for the race? Before sick this Spring, I was 3.5 w/kg but surely lower now. I'm going to look into this tomorrow and let you know, thanks for the invite. I do not have a smart trainer but have a Powertap G3 hub and an old fashioned trainer. I understand the powertap with the Garmin 1030 should connect to my laptop and Zwift. I understand it is a team.....at 6'4''......leadouts are my specialty......or no brain/no pain.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Guess my current W/Kg is maybe 2.6-2.8 but not sure.....is that too low for the race?
@ed72 With those numbers We have the perfect team for you. You will need a Zwift account, Zwift power.com registration, and a Discord invite to the Cruzbike channel. All of this is doable. Zwift use to give a free trial for a week or two. Not sure if they still do this, probably, the free trial required nothing upfront. Just sign up. We are ready when you are.

Your power tap hub should be great for sending the power numbers as long as the hub -> garmin -> computer -> Zwift works.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Both Team captains led the Team recons and the strategies are being set. Also represented were the Flamingos and a new future female superstar accompany the group.