Latex or no latex

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
ok ... Potentially I think I got off very lightly. Front inner tube blew out because it got pinched by the tire.

Fortunately I didn't have time to even clip out. I just got dragged down the road with my feet in safety locked into the pedals. The seat took the brunt of the force and just got grazed on the forearm and left upper part of my leg. Perhaps it's time for the Kevlar pants :eek:

It could have been worse; two miles back I was doing 50kph.
When it happened I over balanced to the left and the front wheel rim slid to the left into the oncoming lane but this road isn't used much. I really couldn't do anything, it was like the bike was skating on ice.

So motto of the story... Latex to be used in competitions and mandatory to use talc and don't use stan's sealent. It tends to destroy latex instead use orange sealent.

If you do get a puncture, reinflate and finish the race and just make sure you replace the inner tube after.

Butyl is more robust but heavier and not quite as smooth.

One thing that zswift won't teach you is +#+#*# punctures.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
When it happened I over balanced to the left and the front wheel rim slid to the left into the oncoming lane but this road isn't used much. I really couldn't do anything, it was like the bike was skating on ice.
I can certainly relate David - even at 50kph! - Glad you are ok!

DavidCH

I can certainly relate David - even at 50kph! - Glad you are ok!
I thought of you at the time. It all happened so quickly there wasn't really pain. Sure the road felt hard and unforgiving. It just says a lot about the design of the bike. Not a scratch on the bike well except for the fiberglass seat that I have but that's just a graze on the edge and on the side of the pedal. I guess if I had power meter pedals it would have been a bit more expensive.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I guess if I had power meter pedals it would have been a bit more expensive.
Yes - My poor Garmin Vectors look like I used them as a anvil! haha
Of course if you fall on the right side (I've done some of each!) - then you end up skinning up your FD - so far, mine keeps working though, but it also looks pretty rough!
Says a lot for the di2 system however - kind of like a timex - takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n!:p

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
ok ... Potentially I think I got off very lightly. Front inner tube blew out because it got pinched by the tire.

Fortunately I didn't have time to even clip out. I just got dragged down the road with my feet in safety locked into the pedals. The seat took the brunt of the force and just got grazed on the forearm and left upper part of my leg. Perhaps it's time for the Kevlar pants :eek:

It could have been worse; two miles back I was doing 50kph.

So motto of the story... Latex to be used in competitions and mandatory to use talc and don't use stan's sealent. It tends to destroy latex instead use orange sealent.

If you do get a puncture, reinflate and finish the race and just make sure you replace the inner tube after.

Butyl is more robust but heavier and not quite as smooth.

One thing that zswift won't teach you is +#+#*# punctures.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
This is why I think the number one reason to run tubeless is the tires stay on the rim. I hit a brick going down a fast descent and promptly flatted. It was a case of simply slowing down and stopping. Other cuts in the tire result in a spewing sound and a very slow loss of air. This allows you to maintain control. Prior to tubeless I had two flats that resulted in me going down the way you describe. This has been my experience so far. Just saying.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
You'll all probably get sick of me on this one; but when someone has a front tire crash I'm going to stop and remind everyone that (1) DavidCH first we are all glad you are ok; these sideways wash outs on a recumbent are never fun; usually lots of road rash, but better than going over the front bars. Trade one to get the other. (2) Everyone else when you enter the game of speeds greater than 17 mph the game changes incrementally with each additional mph. Just another reminder that any mechanical at +21 mph has a much greater chance of ending in a crash; remind yourself that you now own the fastest bike you've ever ridden and you might have bridged into a new era of responsibility. (3) The fatigue to your body and brain really kicks in as you start to push the envelope and the bike is going to to take you there.

Example: This guy was clearly pushing himself beyond his training so he could man up with his buddies; you don't hit something that big unless you are too tired to pay attention to the road in front of you, I hate riding with people that are over reaching. I doubt very much he accepted that the crash was not the fault of the debris. He should have spotted that thing 50-80 yards ahead of time. Classic over reaching; weekend warrior.

Maybe I'm getting old but I rarely let the bike coast up over 30 mph unless I'm really certain of the condition of the gear that day and the roads general and readily established conditions. Brakes aren't decorations except on race day.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
In the first video his bike nearly landed on someone else's head. Wear a helmet.
After it bounced off a satellite in low orbit. The guy right behind him was much better bike handler he goes into the grass but man he had great reflexes and vision.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
...remind yourself that you now own the fastest bike you've ever ridden and you might have bridged into a new era of responsibility. (3) The fatigue to your body and brain really kicks in as you start to push the envelope and the bike is going to to take you there.

This is well stated and also something to remember on every ride. Get there incrementally and learn every aspect of your individual machine before you push the envelope. Every bike is a relationship and you have to grow into it and don't abuse it.

DavidCH

You'll all probably get sick of me on this one; but when someone has a front tire crash I'm going to stop and remind everyone that (1) DavidCH first we are all glad you are ok; these sideways wash outs on a recumbent are never fun; usually lots of road rash, but better than going over the front bars. Trade one to get the other. (2) Everyone else when you enter the game of speeds greater than 17 mph the game changes incrementally with each additional mph. Just another reminder that any mechanical at +21 mph has a much greater chance of ending in a crash; remind yourself that you now own the fastest bike you've ever ridden and you might have bridged into a new era of responsibility. (3) The fatigue to your body and brain really kicks in as you start to push the envelope and the bike is going to to take you there.

Example: This guy was clearly pushing himself beyond his training so he could man up with his buddies; you don't hit something that big unless you are too tired to pay attention to the road in front of you, I hate riding with people that are over reaching. I doubt very much he accepted that the crash was not the fault of the debris. He should have spotted that thing 50-80 yards ahead of time. Classic over reaching; weekend warrior.

Maybe I'm getting old but I rarely let the bike coast up over 30 mph unless I'm really certain of the condition of the gear that day and the roads general and readily established conditions. Brakes aren't decorations except on race day.

Hey those video's were quite something. Most of the crashes were down to deteriorating road conditions and going too fast for sharp corners. Do pro's always go for slicks or do they go for an all weather tyre if the conditions aren't good?

In the first video, this is not a bike lane, over here in Europe we are encouraged to take up more space on the road... Not for the faint hearted when riding in the south of Spain and typically early Sunday morning is the ideal time as not so many cars are on the road.

If you are riding a DF you have further to fall. If your engine is heavy there will be more impact. If your engine is light then the impact will be lesser depending on speed. So it pays to have a good light weight engine that has a good power to weight ratio.

So I get on the bike and forgive that nothing ever happened and just use latex for competitions. Butyl for all other activities.

Still, surprised what a little bit of fabric can do... It's worth riding with something on your forearms for sure. Perhaps a nylon arm warmer with a soccer shin pad but then I guess you don't get much street cred?

My shorts protected me so well that the swellings gone down today but the arm is still a little swollen.

Still, if you're racing I think it's pretty important to check the route out.
image.png
The rider in the picture can see who is going to run him over. If crap happens, Sod's law says at some moment anything is possible, then it's best to make a side exit.
(Hopefully the rider in the picture recovered quickly)

I got one little red mark on my right ankle, I was wearing compression socks that have extra ankle protection. I really have found the long compression socks a must have item. It would have been worse without them. Probably the daisy cutter chain ring was so big, my foot only banged against the crank.

Anyways.... I am grateful that it wasn't too bad and it's made me more aware of my gear before cycling and not to take chances.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
I've had many front flats on my V, but always managed to bring the bike to a controlled stop. Blowouts don't give you much warning. Whenever I think I MIGHT have a flat, due to any unusual rhythm, I clip out and coast until I am sure one way or the other.

I've had more flats with latex, so I use butyl tubes. Is this different than others' experience? Tempted to make another try at going tubeless.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Trike kit may be most beneficial for stability after a flat. I had a similar experience to DavidCh on a straight stretch at moderate speed and still was on the pavement instantly after flatting. I know my skills aren't as developed as others on this forum but this has happened to several other riders according to their posts. Trike kit may give MBB advantage without the risk. Observation from a relative newbie.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Jim IMHO you should give tubeless another chance. Everyone has heard the stories about how hard they are to mount but they have also heard how hard it is to ride a Cruzbike haven't they? Don't you believe it. Almost every time one has a problem it is through operator error. They have a rim strip that is not positioned correctly or the stem leaks. There is a learning process to getting them mounted. Consider this, how many times do folks mess up pinching a tube during a tube and tire mount? Been putting them on for over 50 years and I still will do it (hmmm like maybe Sebring last year). Just saying.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I have hit 2"+ rocks on the verge 3 times, when travelling in a pelaton, with NO warning of the rock, which pinch flatted the front , after the 40 mm front suspension took a beating, but was able to unclip, and with the seat only 500 mm above ground, use the two feet sliding along the bitumen, as stability control even at 40 kph on a slight bend!

If I was on an unsuspended DF bike, I would have been over the front handle bars in a flash, catapalted from a seat 1200 mm above the ground, with a broken collar bone, and many grazes

Last edited:

Robert O

+1 for tubeless. Even so, I'm pretty conservative until I know a stretch of downhill. To date, the only time I've gone down was when I didn't realize that there was a layer of frost on the pavement one morning. It was a really low speed crash, where the tires just slid out from under me. I was so close to the ground that there wasn't even any noticeable impact, just a quick transition to, "hey, I'm laying on the ground". No damage to me, just an edge scrape on the seat pan.

quickbeam

Looking at the video (best I can, I can't step thru it frame-by-frame) it appears the debris was actually a flat piece of metal that the guy with the camera ran over, and it got kicked up into the spokes of the rider that crashed. (You can clearly hear the click from the lead bike before the debris gets into his spokes). You wouldn't normally expect that sequence of events. The debris could easily have been hidden by the guy he was drafting. As you say though, he still should have seen that before the bikes approached it. If you blame anybody though, I'd blame the rider with the camera for going over the debris first.

Last edited: