Loving it...

Robert O

I was out yesterday for an 82 mile ride, as one of the Brisk pace ride leaders in Cascade Bike Club's training series. The route we rode was one we'd done the past few years during the series. I woke up Saturday, and I just wasn't feeling it. I was watching the weather, and almost hoping it'd pour and we'd scrap the ride. Although it was raining hard on my end of the county a couple of hours pre-ride, the forecast up north was looking just iffy. So, I packed up the V20 and headed into Seattle.

Sure enough, ride time it was just threatening, not raining where we were. Off we went, heading north up the west side of Lake Washington. 13 miles in was the first big hill, a mile and a half to climb out of Woodinville and up onto the ridge between the Sammamish and Snoqualmie valleys. I hung near the back of the group for about half the hill, and then started passing people up. I hit the top thinking, "that wasn't as bad as I remember".

Next challenge was out around mile 36, where we took a turn off of Old Owen Road out of Monroe. Last year, I had really had to fight my RWD high racer up that hill, and in previous years, I had to pedal stand my carbon fiber Squadra Team DF bike up that thing. I'm not a big guy, and I've had problems with my front wheel spinning out on steeper climbs, so I drifted to the back with a buddy of mine as we approached the climb. We started up the hill, and in about 15 seconds I was calling "passing on your left, Mike", as I burned past him. As I continued upslope, I passed a number of other riders, and I got to the top thinking how different the climb was from my memories of prior years.

I knew there was one more steep climb, though. As we came back in from Sultan, we were going to climb Fales Road in mile 61. Fales and the long climb up Downes Road beyond had been more pedal standing territory in previous years on the Squadra, and I knew that I'd be lucky to get up the hill still mounted. There's a stop sign on Elliott Road at the turn onto Fales, so there's no momentum to be had at all. We hit that turn, and I took a wide turn to get around the high crown of the intersection. Next thing I knew, I was cranking past other riders on the way up Downes, as if it was just some gentle slope.

As we were hauling back on the flat to get down to the start point, everyone was talking about what a tough day it had been. Me? I was trying to figure out what had kicked my butt all those previous times. And, I was definitely not the ride leader complaining about how uncomfortable his saddle was!

Tuloose

Guru
That's right Robert. It's a magical feeling when everything is clicking, speed wise, on a Cruzbike.
What is amazing to me is the bike's ability to keep the speed up when encountering a hill compared to a RWD 'bent.
I just love medium size rollers - hit 'em fast, stay in the big ring and watch the other riders begin to fade.
Once over the top you have an even bigger advantage on the downside as the Cruz cuts through the air like a knife.
If anyone managed to stay with you on the upside it is time to say sayonara.
Hit a series of 2 or 3 rollers like this and soon the whole pack is in the distance.

Bill K

Guru
If anyone managed to stay with you on the upside it is time to say sayonara.
Or, if they are your "friends" and you want to ride with them...
Adjust the rear break so it squeals, then feather the rear brake when descending so they know you are braking while they are still pedaling.
Evil... but fun:)

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
On some recent climbs, I was spinning uphill in my lowest gear;
the guy on the diamond frame bike was mashing in a higher gear;
the guy on the Bachetta Aero was in his smallest of three rings and spinning uphill at a very fast cadence.

The only real difference?
I was zig-zagging at the back of the pack, covering more ground so that I'd stay behind everyone else.
Downhill I would just not pedal and catch up uphill.

Dang efficient Cruzbike Vendetta... making me grin and stuff.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
how much faster were you than the Bachetta Aero on the downhill freewheeling?
At speeds greater than 12mph, I'd start drifting forward: my stock seat was more reclined than his and my rear wheel is covered with wheel covers, while
the Bacchetta was sporting, at minimum, 70mm deep-rim carbon 700c wheels.
No one was racing anyone that day, so let's just say it was a draw.
But....
On that one long straight downhill, I spun through the gears until I was powering downhill in my 52/11, passing through 40mph,
and the bikes in my mirror were getting pretty small.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
At speeds greater than 12mph, I'd start drifting forward: my stock seat was more reclined than his and my rear wheel is covered with wheel covers, while
the Bacchetta was sporting, at minimum, 70mm deep-rim carbon 700c wheels.
No one was racing anyone that day, so let's just say it was a draw.
But....
On that one long straight downhill, I spun through the gears until I was powering downhill in my 52/11, passing through 40mph,
and the bikes in my mirror were getting pretty small.
Is your weight similar to the carbon Bacchetta rider?

I wonder how many Aero watts are lost due to the LONG chain on the RWD Bacchetta?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
It was not a race... for once.
I just caught these guys and we rode together.
I will say that this Bacchetta driver was probably the best recumbent hill climber I've run across so far.
I mean, he could climb hills and I live in a hilly area.
But Bacchetta Man is an old fart: we're the same age.
Besides, we all know that the Vendetta has the edge in overall performance.
Duh.