lower handlebars?

rdl03

I'm hoping to become the owner of a Sofrider in the next week or two (currently riding an S40). Wondering if it's possible to convert the bike to lower (and ideally road) handlebars?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
That front end employs a pretty standard stem and MTB style bar, but you can easily change to a different stem that has a 31.8 handlebar clamp size and try different road bars.

I haven't tried road bars on that type of front end myrtle but the parts make for an easy swap.

Robert

RobertM

My V2K is the only Cruzbike I've had any experience with. I bought it used, and it came with the bars shown below. The previous owner told me they were Volae bars that he had acquired for a good price when Volae was shutting down, having once owned a Volae and liking the bar set-up.

So, these are the only bars I've had any experience with, but I find the set-up quite comfortable. As Mr. Holler mentioned above, the stem is a fairly standard unit and easy enough to change out.

Being a Cruzebike rider you are no doubt aware of the need to have clearance for the leg motion associated with pedaling, and with turning. I've never ridden an S40 (although I'd like to try one), but my sense is the area of potential interference on the Sofrider is closer to the knees than on the S40, so the bars might need to sit higher and sweep down. Just something to look out for when thinking about alternate bars.

V2K_Bars.jpg

rdl03

Actually I'm quite aware of the clearance issue. I chose to have nothing to do with the stock bars that came with the S40. Started out with a pretty standard road bar, close to the width I use on a DF bike. No surprise - that was a mistake.
Went through 3 iterations of progressively wider bars before finding a setup that worked well for me (46 cm bars with a 12 degree flare).

rdl03

Boy - did I get this wrong. With the stock stem and the bars in the highest position, my knees were still hitting. Found a very simple solution - a 60mm stem with a completely adjustable angle. I have it at about 60 degrees, and my knees are happy.

rdl03

I assume you mean the S40

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpeg
    IMG_0230.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0229.jpeg
    IMG_0229.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13