Making progress learning to ride hands free

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
That's awesome!
I realized that practicing on a trainer is way different than outside. I thought I was doing pretty well on a roller trainer where front end is free but back end is secured but allowed to turn. I tried to do hands free a couple weeks ago while riding outside for a few seconds... almost wobbled out of control but stayed up. whew... that was scary.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
You are still weaving across the white lines, and your hands are ready to grab the bars. As the mileage increases, the random zigzags will disappear. You will be able to ride along a train-rail and fold your arms or eat a banana or read a book or pick your nose. Maybe not all at once.

Giloun

You are still weaving across the white lines, and your hands are ready to grab the bars. As the mileage increases, the random zigzags will disappear. You will be able to ride along a train-rail and fold your arms or eat a banana or read a book or pick your nose. Maybe not all at once.
Yeah, much more practice is needed.

HeyMikey

Hitting the Gateway Trail!
I only have about 50 total miles on my V20 so far. Have made small adjustments to slider positions and headrest. Death grip on handlebars getting less pronounced. Still don’t feel comfortable enough to reach back for the water bottle. Just gotta keep hitting the road and put in more miles. It’s all gotta fall into place at some point!

Reactions: 3bs

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Its like learning a good musical instrument - practice, attention to the details, and getting it to fit right end up paying huge dividends - and when you master it - it is amazing.

Keep up the good work!

HeyMikey

Its like learning a good musical instrument - practice, attention to the details, and getting it to fit right end up paying huge dividends - and when you master it - it is amazing.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks Robert! It was at least a couple of hundred miles to get comfortable on my Corsa when I started out on my first recumbent. The V20 is definitely a different beast. It will come together and I have the whole riding season in front of me!

HeyMikey

Another idea came to mind about handling situations concerning a loss of pressure/blow out of the front tire. Would it be advised to lower pressure (say down to 10-15 PSI) and ride around a parking lot to get a good feel of how the V20 handles so as to recognize sooner then later (crashing) your steed? I've had two blow outs occur on my Corsa (average speed 15-20 mph) with no real loss of control.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Another idea came to mind about handling situations concerning a loss of pressure/blow out of the front tire. Would it be advised to lower pressure (say down to 10-15 PSI) and ride around a parking lot to get a good feel of how the V20 handles so as to recognize sooner then later (crashing) your steed? I've had two blow outs occur on my Corsa (average speed 15-20 mph) with no real loss of control.

don’t do that. It may be more comfortable but you’ll hardly notice and it will leave you vulnerable to pinch flats.

eventually you will have a flat. On the front or rear. Steer straight come to a rest. If you edge your wheels through leaning you’ll fall off in all likelihood.

I’ve front flatted downhill at speed carrying pannier weight on my vendetta. Rolled calmly to a stop. Heard the whoosh of air just so sat up used legs as outrigger appellants to the crash flat maestro.

if flatting is a major concern then mitigate those concerns by regularly checking tyres for wire glass etc and consider tyre tube tubeless options.

HeyMikey

That’s good to know. Just thought that with FWD it might be more of a struggle if a blowout were to occur at speed. I do check my tires regularly and pressure for each ride. The stock tires that came with the bike seem fine for now.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
Absolutely will not be doing that.

How covid19 doing over there? You already are in an area that has common mask wearing. One would hope that helps some

Reactions: Joe

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
don’t do that. It may be more comfortable but you’ll hardly notice and it will leave you vulnerable to pinch flats.

eventually you will have a flat. On the front or rear. Steer straight come to a rest. If you edge your wheels through leaning you’ll fall off in all likelihood.

I’ve front flatted downhill at speed carrying pannier weight on my vendetta. Rolled calmly to a stop. Heard the whoosh of air just so sat up used legs as outrigger appellants to the crash flat maestro.

if flatting is a major concern then mitigate those concerns by regularly checking tyres for wire glass etc and consider tyre tube tubeless options.

Also, as I’ve posted on here before, if you’re worried about flats, slap on some Mr Tuffy Tire Liners. Even using their extra light version I have worn out a set of tires without a single flat. Ave 3500-4000 mi on a set of tires. Small weight penalty for a load of peace of mind.

Giloun

Absolutely will not be doing that.

How covid19 doing over there? You already are in an area that has common mask wearing. One would hope that helps some

We have experienced the outbreak of SARS in 2003 so we Hong Konger learnt the hard way the wearing of masks, social distancing, keeping cleanliness of hands and avoiding touching eyes, nose and mouth with dirty hands. These we have been doing since January despite whatever the Chinese and Hong Kong government and WHO said. So far we have kept the epidemics under reasonable control. But no one is sure what will happen next week.
Let's keep up the fight against the CCP virus. Stay safe and keep riding.

Last edited: