Many Faces of the Red Bike

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:
Rick Harker wrote: Hi Doug,

I like the little bag and the funny thing is it looks right at home as I hadn't noticed it until yesterday when I was getting more detail of your bars. I also noticed the bars in this photo too. You must be the R & D team manager.

Mmmm, I think he's an insufferable tinkerer.. ;) :lol:

Mark

Absolutely, Mark.

I have at least as much fun mucking around with the pieces as riding. To paraphrase an old racing buddy,

"If I have not [messed} with it, it isn't mine!"

Best,

Doug

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Rick Harker wrote: Re-aligned the deraileur to the chain and then... Still couldn't go for a ride. Bummer!
Ah! Well... More tinkering...
I think I should get a Silvio.
There was someone who had a Silvio for sale recently?

How do i re-align the derailure? mine is not complete good, in some gears the chain ships alot of time.

Kamatu

JonB wrote:
Rick Harker wrote: Re-aligned the deraileur to the chain and then... Still couldn't go for a ride. Bummer!
Ah! Well... More tinkering...
I think I should get a Silvio.
There was someone who had a Silvio for sale recently?

How do i re-align the derailure? mine is not complete good, in some gears the chain ships alot of time.

Is the chain slipping off the wheel or just not into the gear you want? Chain slip could be your chain not being properly tightened OR your d?railleur being out of adjustment. If it is not feeding to the right gear, there should be a screw on the side that moves it to the left and right as you tighten/loosen so you can line it up.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Like HotDog said, there is a setscrew cable tensioner that your cable feeds through. If you notice, backing the screw out tightens the cable and pulls the derailleur inwards. Be careful that you don't back the screw all the way out. If you do, you will have to run it back in, retension the cable, then begin tensioning it again. As you ride the bike some, the cable may stretch a little and you will have to readjust in this manner. The two side by side screws on the parralelogram of the derailleur are your limit screws. They determine how far your derailleur travels. One controls the inward travel and keeps the derailleur out of the spokes. The the other controls the outward travel and keeps you from shifting the chain into your frame.

Mark

Rick Harker

Hii Guys,

The alignment I was talking of related to axial alignment caused by the mounting brackes/hanger etc.
Basically what I did was make sure the derailer guide wheels (especially the feed wheel) were running in the same direction as the sprockets on the cassette. Initially they were off and caused a slight rattle on the 3rd and 4th sprockets.
Then I adjusted the limit screws and cable tension. Done.

Regards,

Rick.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
My Silvio fell over while up on a bike service stand. It was outside and a gust of wind caught it. As a result the Ultegra rear derailleur did not shift well. I mentioned this to a friend who is right into the high end road bike scene and he looked at it and said ok, now if your queezy don't watch. He grabbed the body of the derailleur and twisted it. :eek: Never had any bother since. The bending occurred within the relatively soft 'sacrificial' RD hanger rather than in the RD body itself. ;)

Hotdog

Ah, yes, a bent derailleur hanger is pretty common if a bike falls over on the drive side, and the resulting angle of the derailleur cage relative to the plane of the sprockets/cogs can cause trouble. The low-tech reapir technique described by John will work, the derailleur hanger is designed to be easier to bend than a derailleur is (to prevent damage to the derailleur itself in a fall) but you must hold the derailleur around the parallelogram rather than by the cage to be safe. The squeamish and perfectionists will be pleased to know there is a tool for doing this 'properly'. An LBS with a decent workshop will probably have a derailleur hanger straightener which screws into the derailleur hanger in place of the derailleur, it enables the mechanic to measure the bend and provides a lever with which to bend it back into alignment. It only take a few minutes. I had an LBS do this for me when a bike I had shipped to me got bashed about a bit in transit and arrived with a significantly bent derailleur hanger.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Hotdog wrote: Ah, yes, a bent derailleur hanger is pretty common if a bike falls over on the drive side, and the resulting angle of the derailleur cage relative to the plane of the sprockets/cogs can cause trouble. The low-tech reapir technique described by John will work, the derailleur hanger is designed to be easier to bend than a derailleur is (to prevent damage to the derailleur itself in a fall) but you must hold the derailleur around the parallelogram rather than by the cage to be safe. The squeamish and perfectionists will be pleased to know there is a tool for doing this 'properly'. An LBS with a decent workshop will probably have a derailleur hanger straightener which screws into the derailleur hanger in place of the derailleur, it enables the mechanic to measure the bend and provides a lever with which to bend it back into alignment. It only take a few minutes. I had an LBS do this for me when a bike I had shipped to me got bashed about a bit in transit and arrived with a significantly bent derailleur hanger.

I was going to mention that next, provided the other suggestions did not work. It is enough to make your heart pitter patter.

Mark

Rick Harker

Naah!

Never fear. There's nothing that cannot be broken that you have already fixed.

Then there is the LBS.

Rick.