Mark's letter to Santa

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Dear Santa,

As I am sure you are aware, I slipped up a few times this year and probably inched closer to making the naughty list. I fully realize that these transgressions would ordinarily take me out of your favor and earn me the proverbial lump of coal. However, in my own defense, I believe I came on strong of late and given my admission of naughty transgression; should have put me over the top for the nice list. That being said, there is only one thing I would like for Christmas.

I'm sure by now you know about the Cruzbike Silvio. No, no, that's not what I'm asking for; I fully realize I have not been that nice! Besides, I already have one. No, what I want is a custom tailbox/trunk to fit on the Silvio. I know it's late in the season to be asking for something so specialized and one-off, but perhaps you could entice the elves by telling them I will leave out a case of good beer for you to take back to them? Or, are they strictly a milk and cookies bunch? Whatever, I'm sure I could score some good cookies and there are dairies around here for fresh milk. I'll let that be your call.

What I'm thinking about would be a carbon fiber piece that would bolt up to the seat back and allow the rear suspension triangle to do it's thing. I would like for it to hang as far as the rear stays and wrap completely around the back tire. The sides should be hollow for stowage of a jacket and other essentials. In the lid, I would like an insulated sleeve for a hydration pouch and a hole positioned in the lid so the hose would come out just over my shoulder.

I know this is not much information to go on, but you can get all the particulars on the seat dimensions from John T. Or, if you like, you could order up a bike to build it around; they deliver fast and I suspect even in the North Pole, you could have the frame in just a few days. Then, after you build my box, perhaps there would be a market to help recoup the cost of buying your Silvio. That way, you would also have a great bike to ride in your off season and for free!

Thank you very much, Santa, for taking the time to read this. I know this is your busy time of the year and I do appreciate the job you do. Give my best to all the elves and Mrs. Claus.

Your friend,

Mark

VeloLEV

Santa said okay.

Once I'm comfortable with my own Silvio a tailbox is inevitable. I started a drawing and would love to hear your opinions:

silvio_tailbox.jpg

The red is the tailbox, the blue is lycra or similar flexible fabric. The prototype will most likely be coroplast, as I have a 4 4x4 sheets waiting to be cut up. There is a wealth of information about aerodynamics and composite structures on the WISIL site I've longed to try. http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/home.asp?URL=wisil/main.asp

JonB

Zen MBB Master
VeloLEV wrote: Santa said okay.

Once I'm comfortable with my own Silvio a tailbox is inevitable. I started a drawing and would love to hear your opinions:
It's cool. Try it on.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master

silvio_tailbox.jpg

The red is the tailbox, the blue is lycra or similar flexible fabric. The prototype will most likely be coroplast, as I have a 4 4x4 sheets waiting to be cut up. There is a wealth of information about aerodynamics and composite structures on the WISIL site I've longed to try. http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/home.asp?URL=wisil/main.asp

Looks pretty good! My only comments would be that the body sock probably won't work with the MBB. Maybe it will, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Keep in mind with the tailbox you need to attach it solidly to the seat so the rear end can float, or attach it to the rear end and leave room between the box and the seat for suspension movement. I think I'd vote for seat attachment.

Thanks, Santa!!

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:

silvio_tailbox.jpg

Looks pretty good! My only comments would be that the body sock probably won't work with the MBB. Maybe it will, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Yeah, although the lycra sock is light and stretchy, it needs to be stretched tight enough to not flap about in the wind. Having it stretched tight will impede steering movement...not a good thing.

The coroplast tailbox is an excellent idea and easy to do (and easy to change around). Go for it!

VeloLEV

trapdoor2 wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Yeah, although the lycra sock is light and stretchy, it needs to be stretched tight enough to not flap about in the wind. Having it stretched tight will impede steering movement...not a good thing.

The coroplast tailbox is an excellent idea and easy to do (and easy to change around). Go for it!

This is cool, you guys seem to have as much excitement as I do!

On Tom Traylor's site: http://mysite.verizon.net/ts72/critical_mass.html He has flexible material connecting two hardshells. The amount of stretch would be minimal under normal turning conditions, but the proof is in the pudding. We can cross that river when we get to it. I have a Mueller Windwrap fairing for the Rocket and am very glad the production Silvio includes a mount welded to the frame for the stinger connection.

Hooray!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Under racing conditions, I would surmise you aren't turning so sharply as you do in "real" riding conditions. That's why you can get away with twisting chain FWDs and chains dragging alongside the front tire, stuff like that. Not much turning radius needed, as say, pulling out of a driveway and merging with traffic.

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: Under racing conditions, I would surmise you aren't turning so sharply as you do in "real" riding conditions. That's why you can get away with twisting chain FWDs and chains dragging alongside the front tire, stuff like that. Not much turning radius needed, as say, pulling out of a driveway and merging with traffic.

True. It appears that the sock in VeloLEV's example is quite short and merely wrinkles a bit during a turn. A long sock will sag a good bit...but as you point out, normal riding doesn't require huge steering input. I ride with the chain dropped on the Baron and rarely drag the wheel on it...except getting out of the driveway. :roll: