MBB Advantages

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
Bent Readers,

The photo proves our Aerodynamic advantage over Diamond Frame technology, but I for one want to know the ways our Cruzbike Movable Bottom Bracket is better over the traditional recumbent ... ?

FB_IMG_1633533533567.jpg

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Shorter chains equals less weight, no chain twisting, no idlers which also saves weight and no wheel rub. Some guys even put tubes on the chains to help keep the chains clean and not get themselves dirty if they accidentally touch it. CB's don't have those problems.

CoolBreeze

Some of the critics of recumbents point out that you can’t stand on the pedals in order to suspend your body to better handle unavoidable bumps, like when you’re riding with traffic. On a df, you can rise off your seat and your knees act as suspension. On a CB you can unseat yourself by pressing your upper back against the seat, and lift your hips while pulling up on the bars, feet on the pedals, and let your momentum carry you over the obstacle. I don’t think I’d be able to do that on a rear wheel drive recumbent because the arms and legs are not connected like on our CBs.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
climbing is different. upper body more involved.
I agree with all of the above. Here are some subjective opinions too:

Also because the upper body is more involved it is more fun carving a turn or maybe it is hitting the power to pull up out of the turn.

Similar to a front wheel drive car, power added is pointed in the same direction that you are steering as opposed to in the direction that the rear wheel is pointed. This adds a different feel and I use this especially for coming out of steep low speed corners - it sort of pops you into the new direction and up straight at the same time. I have had it be somewhat self-correcting when going from pavement to a gravel parking lot at speed and on a gradual curve.

There are many variables at play so I can’t say for sure what is subjective but it seems much more involved in the fun rather than adding power and steering inputs separately to the separate machine from what I remember of test rides on rear wheel drive recumbents. But that was long ago with not much recumbent experience and the only rear wheel drive recumbent that I have spent lots of time on is a Catrike Trail tadpole trike - it too is absolute fun like I imagine a go-kart would be.

There very well could be weight disadvantages to the MBB platform for the front end but big advantages in the rear end and chain.

Weight distribution can definitely be better on MBB.

Uphill and high acceleration from a stop can have much more lost power from wheel slip and this puts you trying to apply power at the dead spot which can result in more wheel slip in the next power stroke. A challenge with smooth power delivery.

For me, the bike is less twitchy than a stick bike. I think this is because of the front end. The bike feels more evenly distributed. I ride a S30 and a Silvio 2.1. I like the shorter chain and traditional components. I like that I can customize the bike. Raise or lower my feet with different size chain stays. Switch out the handlebars etc. I have become a semi mechanic learning how to work on the bike. Since it is more traditional, I can learn using traditional videos etc. plus the forum is great for Cruzbike specific information.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Australian design. Can be ridden upside down. Fast. EST. Vendetta oem seat a real 20 degree recline. Stiffest drive train. 50/50 weight distribution. Great Aussie design did I mention that. Sit between the wheels not on top. Greatest support ever. Upper body input sprinting or pinch point climbing. For me adds 25 watts.

IndianaDave

Zen MBB Apprentice
Cruzers
GREAT posts ...

And thinking of MBB, take a peek at "Eliminate the V20 steering twitch" in The INOVATORS page?
Let's RIDE ...

McWheels

Off the long run
Part of the marketing pitch is the stiffness of the front triangle and its resistance to flexion, therefore meaning more of your power goes into the drive train. Having crossed paths with some research into insect flight, I'm now convinced of this more than ever.

A wasp or fly has its wings attached to its body (duh!), but in a way that the exoskeleton acts as a spring against the wing. Peak effiency is achieved when the wings beat at the resonant frequency of the insect's body, therefore using the springiness of the body to return the hysteresis back into useful motion.
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2019.12.11.873562v2.full
Compare and contrast this with a stick bike. It is possible that the resonant frequency of the stick could be in tune with the turn of the cranks, but as the cranks are only mounted in, not sprung to, the frame, this means any and all energy spent bending the frame is now lost and never returned to the cyclist. The 2nd best option is stiffness in the frame that will waste less of the bending torque. Here is where Cruzbike is measurably better and in fact probably as efficient in these terms as a DF.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
In going from a Silvio to a S40, I definitely notice the better handling due to the increase in stiffness. And I really liked the Silvio.

I wonder how my Grasshopper got its name. Maybe I just need to get the cadence right and the frame will wang like a diving board.

Reactions: 3bs