Merits of touring on a s40 over v20

john b

Independent of price, what are the relative merits of touring on either the s40 or v20?

Waiting on the wings for a decent second-hand buy.

Also, does anyone know of any owners in Israel? Not seen anything around in terms of dealers/experts/videos but worth a punt.

Cheers.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Independent of price, what are the relative merits of touring on either the s40 or v20?

Waiting on the wings for a decent second-hand buy.

Also, does anyone know of any owners in Israel? Not seen anything around in terms of dealers/experts/videos but worth a punt.

Cheers.
I cannot recommend Vendetta for touring. It is uncomfortable on rough roads. Both by body and head angle as same as limited tire size. Your head is fixed in one position on headrest so possibility to look to country site is strongly limited. There is not any official way of fitting rack on V.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Let us know what type of touring do you mean.

My Vendetta with Thor seat with higher than original angle is good for supported touring like brevets or credit card rides. But I have to stay on tarmac or smooth dry gravel to enjoy the ride. Vendetta with original seat angle and headrest is simply racing machine.

Attachments

• IMG_4997.jpg
    IMG_4997.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 36

Kenneth Jessett

Snilard,

How much of an increase is there in the set angle with the Thor over the standard seat on the Vendetta?

I really need to get the most out of my V and I'm not into racing at the moment.

Ken.

Last edited:

joy

I’ve got both and I wouldn’t take the V for touring. The S 40 is much more comfortable for looking around, you have a better choice of tire sizes and racks fit without a problem.

Kenneth Jessett

I wonder what it would take to convert the V to a S40. It seems that it could be possible to elevate the seat - maybe with a Thor or other structured seat with an steeper incline - if one could devise a system to support the new seat from the frame maybe using some kind of triplex arrangement fastened onto the frame.

It would be a shame not to use the V as either a racer or a touring bike with a simple adaption.

Kenneth Jessett

On the other hand, an alternative approach is for someone with a S40 who is dying to buy into new Q will sell me their S40 really, really cheaply.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Horses for courses I reckon. I have slung radical design banana race bags 25 litre on the vendetta with camp equipment so it is capable albeit not ideal. I’ve not ridden s40 but am often drooling over the pictures. The s40 screams I am versatile. The vendetta screams weeeeeeeeeeeeee very fast.

Just think about exactly what sort of rider you are and choose. You won’t be disappointed.especially if you buy both. Lol.

Regards comfort on rough roads. I’ve been running 28 mm tyres at 70 psi and that is super comfy for me. It’s all relative......

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I loved my S30 for touring.
I'd used Radical design banana bags. Plenty good enough for a tent, food, tools, and laptop plus spare batteries.

Not large enough to also hold the bedroll and sleeping bag. I was using the small version, I'd imagine the larger bags could hold substantially more.

I could get bedtoll and sleeping bag on the bike when using a custom seat (such as a Thor) with the headrest tubes inverted (pointing horizontal instead of vertical).

Kenneth Jessett

After riding my 200K on Sunday and having very aching shoulders, arms and hands, I definately need to be riding a S 40 type recumbent and I realise I will never be happy or feel safe riding among the high-bed diesel pick-up trucks with their ubiquitous trailers along Texas roads with my Vendetta.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I loved my S30 for touring.
I'd used Radical design banana bags. Plenty good enough for a tent, food, tools, and laptop plus spare batteries.

Not large enough to also hold the bedroll and sleeping bag. I was using the small version, I'd imagine the larger bags could hold substantially more.

I could get bedtoll and sleeping bag on the bike when using a custom seat (such as a Thor) with the headrest tubes inverted (pointing horizontal instead of vertical).

In the 25 litre combined banana race bags I fitted tent one man air mattress down quilt clothing all ultralight gear. But....... its a compromise. A fast compromise. Have space will fill. Lol