Metric system?

I got a question from a future conversion kit builder he asked if the kit is made in the metric system or inches? I am sure one of you builders knows the answer to this. Best regards Peder Torgersen

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Peder Torgersen wrote: I got a question from a future conversion kit builder he asked if the kit is made in the metric system or inches? I am sure one of you builders knows the answer to this. Best regards Peder Torgersen

Metric.

I think in bicycles; there is some unwritten rule that everything has to be metric. :lol:

Mark

Kamatu

Mark B wrote:
Peder Torgersen wrote: I got a question from a future conversion kit builder he asked if the kit is made in the metric system or inches? I am sure one of you builders knows the answer to this. Best regards Peder Torgersen

Metric.

I think in bicycles; there is some unwritten rule that everything has to be metric. :lol:

Mark

It's the French again. They write the rules, everyone has to kowtow to their pet idols.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
It's the French again. They write the rules, everyone has to kowtow to their pet idols.

We're lucky the British didn't have a say in this.
Do you have Whitworth tools?
I sold mine decades ago!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
yakmurph wrote: It's the French again. They write the rules, everyone has to kowtow to their pet idols.

We're lucky the British didn't have a say in this.
Do you have Whitworth tools?
I sold mine decades ago!
They did, but fortunately, Raleigh stuck with the Metric system.

Mark

Problem with a part?

I have a customer here in Norway who bought a conversion kit. He has a problem connecting it to the steering. Since I only have a Sofrider and have never built a conversion I thought I would ask some of you experts for help. He sent me a picture and said the bolt is on the wrong side? If that is correct is it possible to get the correct part? :idea:

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Re: Problem with a part?

Peder Torgersen wrote: I have a customer here in Norway who bought a conversion kit. He has a problem connecting it to the steering. Since I only have a Sofrider and have never built a conversion I thought I would ask some of you experts for help. He sent me a picture and said the bolt is on the wrong side? If that is correct is it possible to get the correct part? :idea:

In the picture, the bolt is backwards. It's supposed to go down through the stem, then into the wedge. As you tighten the bolt, it snugs the wedge up, angle against the angled part of the stem and wedges itself in the steer tube.

Here's some help:

http://sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

Mark

MagneO

Hello!

I am the one with kit. I realize the nut is the wrong way. The point is I have apparently something called a quill type stem. According to the manual I need a ahead type steering. There is supposed to be a adapter kit available as a standard product (not from Cruz). Has anyone seen such a thing?

Best Regards,

MagneO

MagneO

Helo again!

I have now goggled a bit. Pehaps this is what I need?

http://shop.vendio.com/benscycle/item/948673802/index.html

regards,

MagneO

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
MagneO wrote: Helo again!

I have now goggled a bit. Pehaps this is what I need?

http://shop.vendio.com/benscycle/item/948673802/index.html

regards,

MagneO

I'm sorry.... I assumed we were talking about the quill stem adapter and your question was on it's assembly. My bad! :oops:

Mark

Kamatu

I used a metal saw and cut the handlebar extension off the side of the quill, then a grinder to take off the excess metal until I was left with the upright. Presto, quill to ahead adapter...

Heh, in line with "costs" of my kit bike, it actually cost me about 50% more to buy new stones for my grinder than it would have to get a store bought adapter, but then I still have nice new stones on my grinder.....

MagneO

Thanks,

I didn't quite understand the modification plan so I think I will buy the ready made part!

Best Regards,

MagneO

Kamatu

Look at the pic on this link. http://www.bikerepaironline.com/stem%20intro.htm

On the right is the quill stem with the part for the handlebars projecting to the right. You cut that off (the part going to the right) and then grind down to the main cylinder with the quill going through it. Then you have a home made adapter. Of course, if you decide to say bugger to the conversion, you have to go out and buy a new quill stem to put the bike back to original condition....

MagneO

Aha,

But will that work? The extension tube (or what it is called) has two different diameters. The larger one is to be mounted downwards (I take it) fitting eigther inside or outside the ahead stem with the bushing fitting inside of the lot to support it. The clamp the compresses the entire assembly I have understood. The extension tube has a larger diameter than the original quill stem so something will not fit or...?

Regards,

MagneO

Kamatu

It did for mine. My quill had a little bit of the tube sticking up above where the handlebar stem came out (about 1/4 inch/6cm) so I could put the large end of the extension tube over it enough to see it was a tight fit.

BTW, don't get upset if things start shifting around after a few rides. Just straighten and retighten them, it is the bike working its way in.

MagneO

That could have worked, but there is nothing sticking up, but I have bought the adapter so I will work from there!

Regards,

MagneO

MagneO

Hello again!

I have now put the bike together. The bushing did not fit (the short tube that was supposed to go into the steering column) but it seems to be OK anyway. But to be on the safe side I would like to have it confirmed this is OK?

I have a picture of the bike but I am not able to find out how to upload it (anyone?)

Regards,

Magne

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Below the reply box there is an "upload attachment" tab. That will take you where you want to go. Looking forward to seeing your bike!

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
MagneO wrote: OK, I try to upload the photo.

Regards,

MagneO

Success! Bike looks pretty good! As you get used to it, I believe you will want to recline the seat back more. I like it!

Mark