Midsole cleat position

Kevin Farrell

Hi all.
I’ve just put clipless (Look) pedals on my trike. I’ve also put cleat adapters on my road shoes to go midsole. All is fine and seem to work well.
so I’m going putting same Look road pedals on my Cruzbike S40.
Does anyone here any experience using midsole, will there be any difference from my trike to my Cruzbike S40.
Kevin Farrell

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I moved my SPD cleats from the front position to the rear (about 1cm back) and it feels much better. I feel like I can put a bit more power into the pedals now also. Keep in mind that you might have to adjust the boom length a little to compensate for the slightly shorter reach to the pedals.

Last edited:

Kevin Farrell

I moved my SPD cleats from the front position to the rear (about 1cm back) and it feels much better. I feel like I can put a bit more power into the pedals now also. Keep in mind that you might have to adjust the boom length a little to compensate for the slightly shorter reach to the pedals.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I’ll be getting pedals in the next week or so.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I have been on my midfoot for over ten years. I made heel-clips out of toe-clips for my Grasshopper, then did it for the Silvio too. There were no adapters then. Clipless people had to drill holes in their shoes.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
My cleats are SPD and I placed them fully backwards but did not drill new holes. They are about 10 to 15 mm behind the ball of my foot. It's almost mid-foot considering the size of my shoe. I adjusted the boom to compensate for the shorter leg reach. My reasons to do this was an attempt to mitigate against a hot foot problem that I usually experience. It has reduced but still mildly gets "hot" on longer rides.

I might consider drilling holes later maybe to allow a further 5 or 10 mm back.

At first, after making this change, it felt like I'am pedalling with my heels and my calf muscles were doing much less work. But after adpatation it feels very normal now.

I generate more power now that I made the change. That is a bonus benefit I did not expect!

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Ak-tux, I have Specialized MTB shoes that have two connecting points in the soles for the cleats, but those connecting points also slide up and back to give me what I assume is about another 10mm of adjustability. If I am not mistaken, they are slid all the way towards the heel now, but if not then I might slide them back as far as possible to see if the trend towards the rear results in even more comfort and power. Worst case scenario I find the rear limit.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Ak-tux, I have Specialized MTB shoes that have two connecting points in the soles for the cleats, but those connecting points also slide up and back to give me what I assume is about another 10mm of adjustability. If I am not mistaken, they are slid all the way towards the heel now, but if not then I might slide them back as far as possible to see if the trend towards the rear results in even more comfort and power. Worst case scenario I find the rear limit.

Dr. Bandito (respectfully - I tend to call all my really smart friends "Dr.")

Could you share which model shoes you are using? You appear to be getting great results with your bikes, and I'm putting something together and would like to incorporate the wisdom of others.

Best,

Doug

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Dr. Bandito (respectfully - I tend to call all my really smart friends "Dr.")

Could you share which model shoes you are using? You appear to be getting great results with your bikes, and I'm putting something together and would like to incorporate the wisdom of others.

Best,

Doug
Dr. Doug :p
Yes sir, I will. The Specialized Sport MTB are what I use for the recumbent, and the Comp MTB (BOA lacing system) are what I use for the my DF bike. They both have the sliding plate, but I will include a pic of the bottom of the Comp MTB sole because it is cleaner.
Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 8.11.49.png

Here are the 2 models for a visual reference in case someone orders them online.
Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 8.12.58.png Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 8.12.39.png
The BOA system is nice, but I prefer the velcro straps because they put an even pressure across the top of the foot. The BOA system cinches it down more near the top and leaves the toe area little loose. The forefoot area on the top of that one feels a lot more stiff so itisn't as comfortable as the COMPT MTB IMHO. That one might be good for people who have wide feet though.
The cool thing about them though is that I can walk around normally with them when I make a stop.

Edit: As for other stuff I have done to my bike and listed here please feel free to use that as well, including the pics if you think they can help. If you need more I'd be happy to provide them. I've been meaning to post pics of the headrest mods but I set a mileage goal for each month and have been out on the bike more than working on it lol

Last edited:

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Dr. Bandito,

Thanks for the detailed and illustrated response. Very kind of you to go to the trouble.

I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet, so shoes and cleats are something I'd like to get right. Dunno if I can get there with my old Frogs - these shoes look like the ticket.

"have been out on the bike more than working on it lol" - now THAT"S what happens when you get your bikes and gear sorted right!

Good onya, fine sir.

Thanks and best,

Doug

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Dr. Bandito,

Thanks for the detailed and illustrated response. Very kind of you to go to the trouble.

I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet, so shoes and cleats are something I'd like to get right. Dunno if I can get there with my old Frogs - these shoes look like the ticket.

"have been out on the bike more than working on it lol" - now THAT"S what happens when you get your bikes and gear sorted right!

Good onya, fine sir.

Thanks and best,

Doug
It is my pleasure Doc :) Anything to help make life simpler. I hope you can get that sorted so you can start piling up the mileage in relative comfort :)