Midsole cleat position

rx7mark

Guru
I modified a pair of Sidi Draco MTB shoes to be midsole or about .25 inch forward of the exact middle of my shoes. I use Frog cleats. I had foot surgery on both big toes. I couldn't ride with a normal cleat position. This works great for me.

Sidi Draco Shoes.jpg

Mark

Tim Lyke

I have a related question - what specific issue are y'all fixing with the mid-sole cleat location?

The reason I ask, is I'm riding a V20 and like the normal fixed position of my SPD-SL cleat which is high compared to SPD - however after a 100 miles or so of competitive riding, my feet hurt at the outside joint of my toe (where a tailor's bunion would form) - I am trying to find a comfortable wide shoe with SPD-SL specifically for V20 riding - I wear a 11.5 EE running shoe and had to upsize on my cycling shoe to provide width. I'm currently using yellow cleats - anyone using blue or red?

Midsole cleats provide relief from hot foot issues. The ball of my foot usually becomes numb after a long ride and may burn during the ride. The midsole position also increases power transfer. There is a website pedaling innovations that explains the reasoning for the mid foot position. I don't know if it would help with your bunion issue.

rx7mark

Guru
After 40 years of running 20+ miles a week. I had bone spurs and arthritis in my feet. My big toes were down to 20% of the normal range of motion. I had surgery, similar to bunen surgery, on both big toes to remove the spurs, straighten the toes, and give me more normal range of motion. Of course I was also told my running days were over. So I had to find alternative outdoor excersise options after my recovery, with less impact on my feet.

The surgery was a success, but I have some nerve damage from the surgery on one foot that does not allow me to apply high pressure in that area. The regular cleat position really iritated those nerve bundles, limiting my rides to 10-20 miles. Moving the cleat to midsole totally fixed all my issues with riding. I can now do 100 miles with no foot or toe pain.

Note my bone spurs also iritate my achilles tendon attachment, and when using a midsole position you use your calf muscles and achilles less. So less iritation there for me also. Win win!

Sorry for long story, but you did ask.

Mark

Tim Lyke

Midsole cleats provide relief from hot foot issues. The ball of my foot usually becomes numb after a long ride and may burn during the ride. The midsole position also increases power transfer. There is a website pedaling innovations that explains the reasoning for the mid foot position. I don't know if it would help with your bunion issue.
Thanks - that certainly helps - thanks!!

Tim Lyke

Thanks Mark - I hiked the John Muir Trail this year and with all of the rock with a backpack I felt some of that type of pain but fortunately I don't feel it while riding - of course, when I ride over 400 miles we will see if that changes. And understand the calf comment - I do not have calf or achilles issues however it makes sense why it would work for you - appreciate the insight.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I did the same as @LarryOz ... midsole works brilliantly but not so good if you have to get up a friggin big hill. It might reduce your sprint capability but being a recumbent rider... sprinting really isn't in the repertoire.

rx7mark

Guru
Thanks Mark - I hiked the John Muir Trail this year and with all of the rock with a backpack I felt some of that type of pain but fortunately I don't feel it while riding - of course, when I ride over 400 miles we will see if that changes. And understand the calf comment - I do not have calf or achilles issues however it makes sense why it would work for you - appreciate the insight.
The interesting thing to me, is that after a few years riding my Cruzbike with the midsole cleat position, the nerve sensitivity has gradually faded, but I am so used to the midsole location I wouldn't dream of changing it back. It just feels very natural and powerful to me know.