Minimalist rack for Q45

billyk

Guru
I've avoided getting a regular rack because I wouldn't use it all that much, it requires some kind of rack-bag or paniers, and meanwhile I'd be carrying around an ugly structure around on the back of my bike. So I built a minimal rack that weighs less than 1lb total and nearly disappears when not in use.

I started with a light foldable backpack (orange of course). This folds into one of its pockets (6x6x2 inches), lives under the seat and is unnoticeable until you need it. It's supposed to hold 20L, and I guess it would if you filled it with, say, rice. For me, it holds a smallish shopping trip.

Four parts needed construction (photos below):
* rack bed. That's the piece of white PVC, bent to snap on to the seat support bar. PVC bends easily by dipping in boiling water. A piece of velcro holds the bed onto the seat-back when not in use.
* bag cradle. This is a tan PVC pipe (for hot water pipes, quite strong), bent with a heat gun. The cradle slides onto the bed via a slot cut with a Dremel tool.
* clips to hold the cradle, drilled and cut from white polycarbonate. The cradle snaps firmly into these, but any bending stress is really held by the tight fit of the bed in the slot. The clips also hold the cradle out of the way when not in use.
* aluminum hook to hold the backpack from sliding off the seat.

Thus I have a backpack handy to carry stuff around, and can easily clip it onto the bike. A few shopping trips with about 15lb of random groceries, making tight low-speed turns as well as regular street riding, show that it is stable. I like that the weight is closer to the cog of the bike+me than it would be on a rack sticking out back.

I have a separate cold-bag, holding 4L, that straps onto the seat bracket and fits snugly between the seatpost and the seat. Both the pack and the cold-bag can go on the bike together.

IMG_2545.jpeg

IMG_2538.jpeg

IMG_2537.jpeg

IMG_2548.jpeg

IMG_2541.jpeg

IMG_2543.jpeg

IMG_2550.jpeg

IMG_2553.jpeg

Last edited:

Giloun

How about the seat angle? Does it limit the adjustment of the seat?
Anyway, very creative design and it works. THX for sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe

billyk

Guru
How about the seat angle? Do it limit the adjustment of the seat?

Since I have a Thor seat, the angle is fixed by the way it's mounted. See many threads here about how to mount these ... it's not as straightforward as the CB seat, not as adjustable, especially because it has two large ribs. You can see the bent-metal bracket I built to do this in the 3rd and 5th photo above.

Giloun

Since I have a Thor seat, the angle is fixed by the way it's mounted. See many threads here about how to mount these ... it's not as straightforward as the CB seat, not as adjustable, especially because it has two large ribs. You can see the bent-metal bracket I built to do this in the 3rd and 5th photo above.
I see.

JerseyJim

I've avoided getting a regular rack because I wouldn't use it all that much, it requires some kind of rack-bag or paniers, and meanwhile I'd be carrying around an ugly structure around on the back of my bike. So I built a minimal rack that weighs less than 1lb total and nearly disappears when not in use.

Nice work! I like how you can fold away the big bag and just have the smaller one on the back of the seat. Do you keep tools and spares in the small bag?

I'm with you on not wanting to have a rack hanging off the back when there's nothing to carry. I also feel like the weight is better placed closer to the seat and rider.

My solution was to make a pannier mount on the back of the seat and use a front pannier bag. I can take it off but it doesn't fold up like your backpack. You have a better solution for your seat and Q series configuration.

https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/diy-t50-seatback-pannier-mount.12730/

I'm now working on adapting the Thule Pack 'n Pedal Side Frames to my mount so I when I need to carry more I can use a pair of panniers mounted close to the seat rather than over the rear wheel.