Mixing it

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
The weather has finally turned to the better. I ventured out today on a longer run. I had planned to try to get to the top of a steep hill today and bomb down from the top. I haven't done this ride for a long time and it always makes me overboil. Today , I got half way up the hill and found out I had no more gears. I was determined not to walk it. So I used Maria's technique in selecting view points up the hill and kept my cadence at a steady pace. Yessss, amazing... I got to the top but had to stop because of the traffic lights. I doused myself with water and prepared for the down hill... I'm close to 60kph today because the wind for once is blowing me down the road. That's such a thrill. Cyclists coming the other way were giving me the thumbs up. The next few round abouts , I noticed they're were police and marshals ... they were stopping cars but not me. I was going just over 40kph and a traffic cop on a motor bike tells me to take the next right and get off the road. So I did and 3 minutes after that the pro peloton zoom through must have been close to 60kph... phenomenal... nerves of steel and such fitness. So after 3 groups of pelotons zoom by , I mount up and carry on. I could see them from far away and it looked like I was going a similar speed until I looked in my mirror to find more about to overtake me.

Total different kettle of fish.

Even when I was 20... I never had fitness like them....

At the end of the day, I was really happy with my ride and celebrated the experience with a swim in the Mediterranean.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Sounds fun David. Watching the youngsters fly down the mountains is fun.
During Summer dousing my shirt and leggings with water works great in cooling me off for about 45-60 minutes. I even squirt a bit in my helmet vents to soak the thin skull cap I always wear.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
DavidCH said:
Even when I was 20
Even when I was 20 and had a pair of lungs and a 1950s Claude Butler with a racing cassette and I was overtaking everyone on the streets of London. The fastest I have been on a Cruzbike is 45 mph. I do not think I ever beat that on the Grasshopper. Nerves of steel? They are all too stoned to be scared.