MN trails tour in September

woodguy

Well-Known Member
I’m helping to organize a group to ride paved trails in Northern Minnesota this September, and we have room for 4 people. Couples are welcome or singles. This trip will have nightly hotels & support crew to carry bags & provide rest stops. 16 riding days & 2 rest days starting Sep 9th. 850 miles total. We’re not a business, just a bunch of riders who love to tour. So far my Q45 is the only Cruzbike & I’d love to have more. Start a conversation on this forum with me to get details. - Jim
 

jcschmit

New Member
Hi Jim. Good to hear of other Cruzbikers in MN. Would like to join you but conflicts with my annual canoe trip in the Bdub. Curious as to where you are finding 850 miles in No.MN? Do you do other rides in MN? I’m doing the MS 150 in a couple of weeks. Hope to see other Cruzbikers there, but did not last year.
 

woodguy

Well-Known Member
I’m actually from Wisconsin, but this is a repeat tour of one we did in 2023. We start in Maple Grove, head west on roads until we find the first trail, then go north as far as Bemidgi, then head east to Lake Superior, then South & west back to our starting point. You have lots of great paved trails up there & we ride some roads to get from one trail to another. Too bad your schedule doesn’t fit. We are open to riders who can do only a portion of the tour if we can make the logistics work.
 

quickbeam

Well-Known Member
Hitting some of my old stomping grounds, but I've never done an overnight bike tour, I think I better start with something a little smaller. Wish you well!
 

woodguy

Well-Known Member
Hitting some of my old stomping grounds, but I've never done an overnight bike tour, I think I better start with something a little smaller. Wish you well!
Yes, getting ready to start next Tuesday. Looking forward to it.
 

Velocivixen

Well-Known Member
My grandparents were from Mountain Iron & Virginia, MN and I’ve never visited there. Doing a trike tour sounds delightful. Please post photos.
 

woodguy

Well-Known Member
The Minnesota Trails tour is complete, and it met all my expectations. We had 12 riders and 2 support staff. We rode 837 miles in 16 days of riding & had 2 rest days in addition. Highlights included lots of scenic views, rendezvous with Paul Bunyan statues which were all over, paved trails and lightly traveled roads (usually with good shoulders), many murals on buildings in all the small towns, Bob Dylan's hometown tribute in Hibbing, Lake Superior trail, one portage around a fallen tree, and so much more that I can't include everything. I can only load 10 photos, but this should give you a taste.

I was the only Cruzbike, one other recumbent & 10 diamond frames. Only 3 flat tires in the whole group(I had none), and no other mechanical problems. Weather was mostly great. Cooler than I planned, so had to buy another layer, especially for the early mornings. 2 days where we had some light rain in the afternoon.

Velocivixen - We did travel through both Mountain Iron & Virginia. Lots of Iron mining in that neighborhood.
 

Attachments

  • 5B01863D-9F27-4612-A777-E93B6D3B6DBF.jpeg
    5B01863D-9F27-4612-A777-E93B6D3B6DBF.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 6B786827-38DE-433B-BDBD-617E3F60147A.jpeg
    6B786827-38DE-433B-BDBD-617E3F60147A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • tempImagehPN4cJ.png
    tempImagehPN4cJ.png
    14.5 MB · Views: 11
  • tempImageOZaHpz.png
    tempImageOZaHpz.png
    3 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImagekDBbxJ.png
    tempImagekDBbxJ.png
    17.7 MB · Views: 9
  • tempImageLfTVdH.png
    tempImageLfTVdH.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 9
  • tempImageVJYoCo.png
    tempImageVJYoCo.png
    13.7 MB · Views: 8
  • tempImagekyFYA5.png
    tempImagekyFYA5.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • tempImageiEyg8C.png
    tempImageiEyg8C.png
    756.2 KB · Views: 9
  • tempImagecjKzww.png
    tempImagecjKzww.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 16
Top