Musical cross wind detector

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I went for a ride this morning with some pretty strong winds (20+ mph and gusting higher) and discovered John has also designed in a musical crosswind detector for the Vendetta.

When the wind blows crossways through the pivot cage with the pivot pin holes you get a sound similar to blowing across the mouth of an opened beverage bottle. And you know how the tone changes when you drink some of the beverage and blow across the opening again? Well, that's what the Vendetta Cross Wind Detector sounds like - maybe 3 bottles of different levels of beverage in them and three people blowing across the opening creating a harmony:

Trouble is I don't see anything in the instructions for which particular tone indicates, get off the bloody bike and into a ditch you fool a tornado is coming ...

:)

-Eric

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Well...
It does seem like

Well...

It does seem like skimping to just say "it makes noise" and not share. :D

As far as which note it plays when there's a tornado coming, there is an app for that. (Please do at least glance at the weather report when you notice a cow is flying next to you as you're riding your bike...)

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Look at That Pretty Weld!

No, not that utilitarian piece of work that is hidden under the paintwork.
I'm praising the work of the artist responsible for the gorgeous weld on the,
"Vendetta Cross Wind Detector".

Beautiful.

Oh, and Eric?
Nice photograph!

-Steve

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for noticing, Steve;

Thanks for noticing, Steve; they are good arn't they, that welding team!!! :D Its only when I look at other bikes that I am reminded how good these guys are. Kudos to Johnson Chen.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
"Stack of Dimes" welding

Aluminum alloys are a challenge to weld, let alone do it beautifully. Back in the day, Cannondale was known for its flowing, fillet-like welds. As it turns out, the magic is in the grinding and polishing of the welds which can weaken the frame at the welded junctions. On the Silvio, the welds are concealed beneath a layer of filler (it doesn't take much filler to do this) and the result is a frame that looks as if it came from a mould. In looking at the v2.0, the welds are clearly seen on some areas of the frame. With beautifully-executed welds like we see here, it certainly does not take away from the aesthetics of the design. Some may agree that it actually adds to the overall appearance.

It's akin to seeing file marks left on the lugs and tube junctions of a vintage steel bicycle; the builder leaves these small marks and they become part of the history of the bike and a testament to the craftsmanship.