My Bicycle Journey - from upright to bent -Part 1

MariposaLand

I recently purchased a Cruzbike S40 without ever seeing one in the flesh. I thought I would do a video series regarding my experience. I've never done a video with a voice over so this is my first one. All of the videos and still pictures are mine. Photography is a very part time hobby of mine. I'm sure some of you have had similar experiences and health issues that became the catalyst to look for alternatives to DF bikes. Thank you to all of you who did the heavy lifting by researching this...it made my decision easy. Part 2 will be about my search for a bent. Click here to see part 1:

Suz

Great video and great story I can totally relate to. Looking forward to the next video.

Suz

Tim, I saw your post in another thread about your helmet bumping the headrest. There have been multiple discussions in the forum on helmets that seem to work best on a CB. You may want to start by pushing the headrest in further so the pad hits right below the helmet. Or change to one of the other headrests in the accessories section.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Nice video.
I started riding S40 in March. I also didn't like the headrest, mainly because I felt it delayed my response to lean left or right on the bike. I stopped using it after I changed the seat to a Thor GS as the shoulder support props up my head well.

Great video.
I can certainly relate to your experience of the pain and continuing desire to ride.
I stopped riding for about eight years. My discovery of Cruzbike reignited my passion for cycling. Look forward to seeing the second part.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Nice job. My story is similar. Years on DFs but never could get comfortable on any of the huge collection of saddles in my basement. Finally too much numbness and pain so recumbent research commenced. Rode several others but bought the CB online. Enjoying the S40 and the ongoing tinkering. The Forum is tops. Enjoy the bike!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I needed to see this. I've been toying with the idea of going to the dark side. You can get quite a bike, ready to roll, for what we pay for just a frame set. But, at nearly 58 years of age and already having some wrist and elbow issues, not to mention lower back pain from time to time, this video served as a wake up call. Thanks for sharing it!

Mark

Looking forward to part 2. My story is similar. Pain with an upright after a slew of attempts to fix the pain. Custom fittings etc. did not help. Worsening neck and back issues. I found Cruzbike and now can continue to ride.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I recently purchased a Cruzbike S40 without ever seeing one in the flesh. I thought I would do a video series regarding my experience. I've never done a video with a voice over so this is my first one. All of the videos and still pictures are mine. Photography is a very part time hobby of mine. I'm sure some of you have had similar experiences and health issues that became the catalyst to look for alternatives to DF bikes. Thank you to all of you who did the heavy lifting by researching this...it made my decision easy. Part 2 will be about my search for a bent. Click here to see part 1:
I noticed you have a nice ISM Adamo saddle. I really liked them and got two of those. After I started riding S40, my 14 yo took my ISM saddle and put on his mountain bike. He likes it a lot.

MariposaLand

I noticed you have a nice ISM Adamo saddle. I really liked them and got two of those. After I started riding S40, my 14 yo took my ISM saddle and put on his mountain bike. He likes it a lot.
My favorite seat . I should have kept it for my son. He keeps complaining about his.

MariposaLand

Looking forward to part 2. My story is similar. Pain with an upright after a slew of attempts to fix the pain. Custom fittings etc. did not help. Worsening neck and back issues. I found Cruzbike and now can continue to ride.
Thank You! My second ride on a recumbent was 62 miles and I had NO pain. I did keep my mountain bike but will probably sell it also.

MariposaLand

I needed to see this. I've been toying with the idea of going to the dark side. You can get quite a bike, ready to roll, for what we pay for just a frame set. But, at nearly 58 years of age and already having some wrist and elbow issues, not to mention lower back pain from time to time, this video served as a wake up call. Thanks for sharing it!

Mark
Thank you for watching Mark! I wish you well with your biking health.

MariposaLand

Nice job. My story is similar. Years on DFs but never could get comfortable on any of the huge collection of saddles in my basement. Finally too much numbness and pain so recumbent research commenced. Rode several others but bought the CB online. Enjoying the S40 and the ongoing tinkering. The Forum is tops. Enjoy the bike!
Thank you @paco1961! I’m looking forward to tinkering with my S40 as well.

BikeGary

I can totally relate. My shoulder's got so that I couldn't lift my arms straight over my head which I believe came from a combination of my posture at work, (desk and typing for 8hrs a day) and riding 5k a year on my DF bike. (year round commuting). I had seen Lief Z. ride his Cruzbike by me on one of my commutes so I sped up and caught him at the light to ask about his crazy looking bike. Fast forward to last year and I pulled the trigger and am now the proud owner of a S30. I will caution you to spend as much time as you can doing slow speed maneuvers in a safe location (school parking lot on Saturdays etc) as you can before venturing out into traffic. The hardest thing to learn is a cold start on a hill. <rant> traffic planners do not think about bicycles when they lay out streets!</rant> Next find a safe bike trail without any traffic and do some serious mileage on it. Ride your neighborhood streets, with lots of starting and stopping. Practice sprints so that you feel confident at speed. Find a hill without traffic and ride up and down it until you feel 100% comfortable on it. And don't be afraid to walk hills that are too steep. You will find that it's hard to stop going up on a hill that you can't climb (ie your legs are telling you one more stroke and we are so done.) , so quit riding and walk before that happens.

I have been riding for a little over a year and I am not faster than I am on my DF, unless it's downhill. It takes time to develop the skills that I had developed on my DF to cut those precious seconds off at every stop sign and light, to climb as fast as you used to. There are people on this forum who can climb as fast as a DF rider, I am not one of them. I'm not slow, but not being able to stand up and pump every so often means it's tough for me to give my legs a break from the fast spin I need to climb hills here in San Diego. But that's not the reason for riding is it? For most of us, its getting there at all pain free.

And my trick for starting up a hill from a cold start is to stand over the bike, give it a hard shove forward, slide forward and pedal in a quick motion. It's not elegant, but that extra bit of forward momentum gives me a chance to do it at all.

But the time will fly and soon so will you!

MariposaLand

I can totally relate. My shoulder's got so that I couldn't lift my arms straight over my head which I believe came from a combination of my posture at work, (desk and typing for 8hrs a day) and riding 5k a year on my DF bike. (year round commuting). I had seen Lief Z. ride his Cruzbike by me on one of my commutes so I sped up and caught him at the light to ask about his crazy looking bike. Fast forward to last year and I pulled the trigger and am now the proud owner of a S30. I will caution you to spend as much time as you can doing slow speed maneuvers in a safe location (school parking lot on Saturdays etc) as you can before venturing out into traffic. The hardest thing to learn is a cold start on a hill. <rant> traffic planners do not think about bicycles when they lay out streets!</rant> Next find a safe bike trail without any traffic and do some serious mileage on it. Ride your neighborhood streets, with lots of starting and stopping. Practice sprints so that you feel confident at speed. Find a hill without traffic and ride up and down it until you feel 100% comfortable on it. And don't be afraid to walk hills that are too steep. You will find that it's hard to stop going up on a hill that you can't climb (ie your legs are telling you one more stroke and we are so done.) , so quit riding and walk before that happens.

I have been riding for a little over a year and I am not faster than I am on my DF, unless it's downhill. It takes time to develop the skills that I had developed on my DF to cut those precious seconds off at every stop sign and light, to climb as fast as you used to. There are people on this forum who can climb as fast as a DF rider, I am not one of them. I'm not slow, but not being able to stand up and pump every so often means it's tough for me to give my legs a break from the fast spin I need to climb hills here in San Diego. But that's not the reason for riding is it? For most of us, its getting there at all pain free.

And my trick for starting up a hill from a cold start is to stand over the bike, give it a hard shove forward, slide forward and pedal in a quick motion. It's not elegant, but that extra bit of forward momentum gives me a chance to do it at all.

But the time will fly and soon so will you!
Thank you @BikeGary It is interesting you mentioned San Diego. That is where we were when I had my Cruzbike delivered on August 15. We were visiting my son and daughter-in-law who live there. My goal was to ride "Bike The Bay" and I did; were you there?. However, I didn't get the hang of climbing those San Diego hills. I did it on a DF bike last year and road some pretty steep hills there. I am going to do a video on how I began on the CB but I went over to the San Diego Zoo parking lot and rode and rode. I did get off into traffic and did not feel comfortable and the starting/stopping at stoplights was slow. I have only ridden 70 miles there in SD and then we flew home to Arkansas. My bike didn't show up until a little over a week ago and it was missing some critical bolts (Kudos to @Robert Holler for helping me out. I am very pleased with CB support) so I have not been able to ride at all in September:( I think I have figured out during those 70 miles I am going to have to work on this and I am willing to put in time. I appreciate your encouragement and tips!!!