My first S40 Audax this weekend

About 400km total so far on the S40 including a couple of 50-55km efforts. This weekend I'm going to start my first audax on the S40. I have several under my belt at 100-200km, one of those on a recumbent so far. Considering I'm planning a 700km tour in the first week of August, I need to get some km in my legs.

Here's the event link http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-419/

I've done a few of these ACME events including the Winter Anvil series and they are always well organised, well supported and have nice routes mainly on quiet rural roads.

Rod Butler

I'd love to see some pics of your weekend effort.
I'm planning to (S40) ride up to Bristol (from London) for the Bespoke Bike show on the weekend of 21/22 April.
130+ miles, so I'll take leisurely 2+ days to get there. Wouldn't mind some 'S40' company along the way. If you're free.
The Bath to Bristol ex-rail/bike path is on my route and a lot of tow paths before then.
...will do some audax later in the Spring/Summer when I can get some more time off... can't wait!

Rod, sorry I couldn't catch up with you two weekend passes in a row would be pushing it.

Audax went well, 5 hr total elapsed time inc stops for 112km, CB worked a treat and I now know I can go long distance on it. Even managed to get up a hill that hit 12% or more with a 12-28 casette

No chance to write it up yet as I got home, washed the bike and then next day headed up to Aberdeen to go offshore (standing in at very short notice for someone else who screwed up his scheduling).

Will try adn write up this weekend and post on the blog with a summary here. Should have some pics as well, one rider had a camera

no pics I'm afraid, I'll try and add some but I've been up to my eyeballs with work.

New blog is published (won't cut and paste here in it's entirety), objectives and outcomes, to tantalise you

Just to recap, the Cruzbike build was finished in mid-March and then the weather turned crappy again, but by the time the Woodman came round, I’d managed to get about 350km of Cruzbike in my legs on a mix of short local loops of 25km and turbo trainer sessions of an hour to 90mins. I think I’d had two longer rides of about 50km each as well.

The woodman, on 14th April was going to be my first real test of the combination of bike and rider I’m intending on deploying on my summer tour. All is not lost if it goes tits-up and I find the thing un-rideable, as all the components came off a road bike frame which is now sat in the bikeshed awaiting tidy up.

Aims for this ride
  1. Test the comfort over long distance/duration. The woodman is 112km, vs my longest planned tour day of 146km, and a club ride of 160km.
  2. Test average audax speed on the new machine. Barring mechanicals, p*$nct%res, route screw ups, I normally expect an audax speed of about 25km/h
  3. Test the gearing on hills, the route heads out amongst the rolling lanes of Essex and has about 850m climb on the routesheet
  4. Enjoy a day out in the sunshine

As usual a great route and a great ride, superbly supported by the weather, although I was down to dregs of water in the bladder in the last 15km, and not confident at that point to pull the bottle out of the cage on the move (since then a newly acquired skill).

Learnings
  1. The S40 is a great long distance tourer, and I can’t foresee an issue on tour, respectable audax speed maintained (5 hours elapsed for 112km)
  2. The stock seat cushion is far too squishy, leaving bruising inside my shoulder blades – ventisit pads on order (hopefully here for the upcoming long weekend)
  3. The 12-28 is a bit ambitious for touring. 12-32 now purchased, but not yet trialled
  4. Fun was maintained

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Congrats on going a bloody long way. The bottle-cage thing will come. Take three, then you can juggle with them.

Kenneth Jessett

David, I'm interested in your handlebars and shifters. I'm planning to change my bars and would appreciate a closer look at your set up if possible..

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
My current settup is different to this. The bars in the last shot were the 3T aluminium base bar. The one I have on here are even more aero, faster and lighter. But in carbon. It was also a hack to install as it had to be filed down just a little. It's just one speed as I'm waiting for xshifter to post me their Wi-Fi offering.
aeroBaseBar.jpg

DavidCH

If I extend my arm straight my hands are extending the levers by half a palm. When first starting there was the idea of having straight arms until tendon issues (tendernitus left elbow/forearm).

My hands aren't on the levers all the time. You just want a lose hold unless going up short hills. My bars are a little untidy. There isn't any bar tape. So if i were doing 400k my hands would be terribly sore.

Kenneth Jessett

I'll have my new bars installed Monday and I'll show them here in case anyone wants to look at other systems. I rode a friends Carbent yesterday and his set-up was straight arms and it felt very odd. I don't think I'd want to ride like that for very long.

DavidCH

Good question. To that I don't know. This was an airbnb place I rented. I wouldn't usually set up my bike in the kitchen. Something like that could get out of hand with the Mrs.

Or build something like this... it's a 3 liter bladder holder made out of carbon
View attachment 6716

I had a 2 liter bladder on that ride as well, the Carradice rack pack I use has little drop down side panniers that hook onto the rack, they are perfectly sized for a water bladder. On that ride I went through the 2l of water and half a bottle at stops.

Since then I have acquired the skill of being able to drink on the move. Will come in handy tomorrow with a planned 110-115km in 24degC heat.

The other thing forgot to add as a key learning - use your gears, you may be able to bully your way up a climb, but your knees won't thank you