My first S40 Audax this weekend

Bruce B

Kenneth, I'm not sure how the forum works either. What I did yesterday was to click on your avatar of a question mark and your name to the left of your post. I then typed a reply under the title Profile Posts. When I click on your avatar now I can see the post. Let me know if it shows up for you.
What I did yesterday was to avoid stepping on ElyDave's original post.

Here are pics
IMG_E0333 (1).jpg IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0361.jpg
My avatar is not current. You are looking at an inverted Soma Bullhorn with SRAM brifters. I liked the bars but never was comfortable with the braking from the top of the brifter.
I tried 46cm Salsa Cowbell bars for awhile but changed to Salsa Woodchipper 46cm last month. The Woodchipper has been the best bar I have used on the V20.

Rod Butler

Wondering how the S40 behaved , ie handling and climbing with the rack and bags on board?
What size tyres are they?

HiYa, The tyres are Schwalbe marathon plus 700-28c. The panniers are ancient 'Eclipse Transcontinental' that I've had since the '80s.
...still going strong.
I could have used a bit more traction on the front going up some loose inclines but for the on/off road combination the tires did pretty well.
...wouldn't mind trying out 32 or even 38 just for some suspension (the biggest issue) and perhaps some traction as well.
Handling was pretty good considering the weight.
I put the two water bottles and the 'sling pack' between with heavier items directly under the seat. About as low and central as I could get, which is the key.
Heavier contents of the panniers as low as possible as well really helps. I spent more hours in the saddle than I ever could have done on a DF.

London to Bristol is 135miles by road so I probably did about 150 by bike trails, half on and off road.
Rule of thumb......as many hours as it says by car .....that is days by bike!
I hope that helped....happy trails

Bentas

HiYa, The tyres are Schwalbe marathon plus 700-28c. The panniers are ancient 'Eclipse Transcontinental' that I've had since the '80s.
...still going strong.
I could have used a bit more traction on the front going up some loose inclines but for the on/off road combination the tires did pretty well.
...wouldn't mind trying out 32 or even 38 just for some suspension (the biggest issue) and perhaps some traction as well.
Handling was pretty good considering the weight.
I put the two water bottles and the 'sling pack' between with heavier items directly under the seat. About as low and central as I could get, which is the key.
Heavier contents of the panniers as low as possible as well really helps. I spent more hours in the saddle than I ever could have done on a DF.

London to Bristol is 135miles by road so I probably did about 150 by bike trails, half on and off road.
Rule of thumb......as many hours as it says by car .....that is days by bike!
I hope that helped....happy trails

Thanks for the informative reply, recently did my first two day overnighter with camping gear etc, on my homebuilt alu mbb. Quite hilly in Tasmania, gearing 46x 26 double on 165 Sugino cranks up front , 11 x36 10 speed rear, all riding done on tarmac, no issues with traction.
Managed 100 Klm's a day, running schwalbe marathon 700x28 rear and Marathon Plus 32x 26 front, definitely want to do more next summer , but will continue to shop over winter for lighter gear to bike pack rack less on my carbon MBB,
Packing heavier stuff low is a great tip and obvious now that you've mentioned it.

went a bit further yesterday https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2678318489

New Ventisit comfort, 12-32 casette, GP4Seasons 28mm tyres.

Ventisit took a bit of getting used to, slight butt ache in the first two hours, but that disappeared. Gears came in handy. Ability to drink while moving came in very handy at 28C. Had planned on stopping at a cycling cafe, but took a wrong turn and by the time i'd realised I was ging the wrong way, I was closer to my route back to Cambridge. Stopped at a nearby pub instead, packet of crisps for the salt, and beer is isotonic right?

A long, hot day on the bike and even with sunscreen I'm burnt down one side as I was tracking the sun