My First Trail Ride (an out of parking lot experience)

For the ATT, about half way up it is paved with a nice parking lot and building. I will park there then ride up over the I-40 bridge then turn around. One lap is about 13 miles (3 laps is 40 miles).

It is the New Hope Church Road trail head.

augiedog

Avoid at all cost. There used to be a vendetta rider with a long crushed stone driveway... it was such an irritation he decided to sell his Vendetta.

You have to travel slowly and the bike becomes a little unstable... then you dont want to trash your cleat and beautiful shoes on the stones... quite a dilemma.
Thanks guys I feel the crushed stone surface is not helping the situation. I guess I'll be riding the greenway for a while. It's just the ATT is so close and not a hassle to get to but I'll suck it up! Lol

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Different people mean different things with trail, crushed, stone, path, gravel, etc.

3/4" gravel like the stuff on the shoulder of the road, base under a driveway, especially if loose, is brutal to ride on any bike let alone a skinny tire racing recumbent!

Gravel Dust, coarse aggregate, crushed stone would be better but still not great for learning, not too bad when dry and smooth once you are comfortable but not an ideal learning environment.

augiedog

Different people mean different things with trail, crushed, stone, path, gravel, etc.

3/4" gravel like the stuff on the shoulder of the road, base under a driveway, especially if loose, is brutal to ride on any bike let alone a skinny tire racing recumbent!

Gravel Dust, coarse aggregate, crushed stone would be better but still not great for learning, not too bad when dry and smooth once you are comfortable but not an ideal learning environment.
The surface used on most rail trails I believe is called crushed granite screenings. It packs almost as hard as asphalt when wet or damp but has tendencies for having loose spots in very dry weather.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
On packed graveljust go w 32mm tires (assuming you’re not on a V) at something under 60 lbs pressure and you should be fine. Gravel Kings are great on that packed stuff. If you can go tubeless and drop another 10 lbs, that much better.