My First Trail Ride (an out of parking lot experience)

augiedog

So I have been practicing in the parking lot for about 2 months now and felt confident enough to take my Q to The American Tobacco Trail in North Carolina. My goal was not to take down other cyclist,injure and maim walkers,scare little children or ride off the side of the trail pin balling trees as I tumbled down the steep embankment. :eek::eek: So how did it go your probably wondering ....and thank you for asking! I feel it went quite well as I was able to ride 12 miles while doing reasonably ok on my stops and starts at road crossings and maintaining my balance. My one issue and I'm guessing this will go away after getting some miles in was not being able to ride a straight line down the trail. I was all over the place weaving left and right and several times I had to confirm to other trail users I was not drunk just learning to ride my new bike. After it was all over I was somewhat tired a little sore but very satisfied with my success. For now I only have time to ride on the week ends or holidays when I'm off work but I am encouraged and confident I will get better and one day ride a straight line! Any thoughts or advice? :)

woodguy

Since you said that you have been practicing in a parking lot, you probably are already following the Cruzbike “Learn to Ride” instructions that are elsewhere on this website. If not, check it out. I found that series of steps crucial. The one I still use every once in a while if I’m feeling a little unstable is the figure 8’s.

My favorite start up method from crossings etc. is to stand up & push off, the slide into the seat & go. That gets the bike rolling just enough to get pedaling straight. A little harder on an uphill, but still my best method.

Best of course is just keep riding. You will soon be going straight down the path without even thinking about it.

dule0911

I'm also new to cruzbike riding so take my advice with a grain of salt since I have little experince, and still very much learing (done 60 miles so far ih 4 rides, started riding 6 days ago).
I think you are making a long pause between rides. Is it somehow possible to squeze some rides during the week? My impresion was that when I was riding day after day I was much more confident and made less mistakes (I think I was just thinking less about it, therefore I was more relaxed). Also, after like 1-2h on the parking lot I've gone into traffic, I think if I waited for long it would be much harder to relax.

Regarding starting, the lowest gear is a must in the beginning, woodguy-s method is also helpfull. What I tried and it might work for you if you use clipless pedals (I'm using Shimano SPD, M324). I clip in one leg and make a couple of revolutions just to get the bike going while balancing with my other leg on the ground. Then, I put the other leg on the pedal and keep going.
I found this approach to be good for tight turns also, since I still find it dificult to twist my outer leg so much while clipped in during the turn. I unclip it, make the tight turn with the other leg, once done I continue with both legs.
For going straight, it might seem crazy but my motivation is to ride more in traffic, in other words - a little bit of fear. I'll see how it goes but so far it seems to work. I'm much much more confident and objectively going more straight then in my first ride. In the beggining I stopped pedaling when a car passes me, even if it's coming from the opposite direction and like 2 meters from me, just to go somewhat straight. Now even when a car is besides me I'm confident in pedaling while they overtake - but still I don't do it with full power, just to go somewhat straighter :)

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Straight line: Sometimes, SOMEtimes this helps me: use 1 gear lower than what I would otherwise use or feel most comfortable using. This puts me in just slightly higher cadence, not enough to feel awkward but enough to smooth out the pedal strokes a bit and decrease the mashing and resultant lurching pedal steer.

@augiedog welcome! It is great to hear another CruzBiker is on the ATT! I’m down at the southern end, but have not been able to ride on it much this year. We have a few other CB riders in the area.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest thing is to relax - when I see people carrying a lot of tension in their body its a good sign that their riding will likely take a long time to smooth out. That doesn't mean to fall asleep at the wheel though - you have to always be in control of the front end - don't over power it with too much muscle but also don't just let it go any which direction on its own.

velocio

Austrian roadside steckerlfisch (fish on a stick)
I was surprised to see the ATT mentioned by the O.P. of this thread. I also ride there and will probably head there tomorrow, though likely on my non-Cruzbike bent.

Are there any S40's that ride the ATT? I've never seen another Cruzbike and have some questions about how my used S40 is set up. Would love to have a peek at another S40 for pointers, as well as meet another forum member.

Cheers,

-Jack K.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Spin, no mash, at least when the bike is new to you. You will put less force on the downstroke. Your feet will spend less time in any one place, so the bike will have less time to react. Confuse the bike into submission.

dule0911 said:
my motivation is to ride more in traffic
Commuting is the way I learnt fast. Traumatic, and I felt like a bit of a twit with everybody looking at me and me swearing loudly at the bike, but it taught me to ride while thinking about something else.

Ride slow. Going fast is just a question of finding a hill. You do not have to attempt to catch Larry, but you do have to stop and start and go slow sometimes. Robert wants a dollar for each time someone said that Cruzbikes cannot go low-speed manoeuvres. He will not get any of my money. You should see me riding in the pedestrian places and through the barriers

We need to talk about front-wheel-spin. For me, this was a serious issue. But it just stopped happening. Now, from a standing start I can get away like a slingshot.

Mileage. That is all you need. Loads of short rides. One day you will realise you haven't fallen off or nearly fallen off for ages. When you have put enough miles on the clock.

Look at the very last bit of the Holler video. What does he mean? Cruzbike is for the birds?

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I think you are making a long pause between rides. Is it somehow possible to squeze some rides during the week? My impresion was that when I was riding day after day I was much more confident and made less mistakes (I think I was just thinking less about it, therefore I was more relaxed).
That helped me when I was learning to ride. I'd go out for just 10-15 minutes, down to the parking lot to do a few drills, or around the block a couple of times.

My one issue and I'm guessing this will go away after getting some miles in was not being able to ride a straight line down the trail. I was all over the place weaving left and right and several times I had to confirm to other trail users I was not drunk just learning to ride my new bike.
:p
Try singing, or whistling, or counting out loud, while you're working on straight-line riding on the trail. It distracts the mind just enough to let the body take over. I saw that suggested here in the forums years ago. I did it when I was learning to ride my Q no-hands. "♪♫ Ba-by SHARK, doo doo, doo doo doo doo..." :D

Even after several months of riding a Cruzbike, I was still concerned about how much I was weaving. Then one day, I realized I wasn't weaving any worse than I had on a road bike. So I relaxed, didn't fight it...and my line got straighter.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
@augiedog we all started somewhere and for some of us that start looked far less glorious then it did for others. Your first day out on the trails kind of mirrors my first day out on the trail https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/the-road-to-500-miles-in-24hrs.8915/

So it could be that in your parking lot drills you don't practice long periods of going straight due to the lot not being 5 miles long. Riding around in parking lots will get you better at riding around in parking lots but riding around in straight lines will get you better at riding straight. Don't fret and keep at it on that trail and use your head, really objectively think about what you are doing. Observe what body inputs you are putting into the bike as well as think about how those are reflected in how the bike responds, this will help you understand what bad or good habits you are developing.

augiedog

I'm also new to cruzbike riding so take my advice with a grain of salt since I have little experince, and still very much learing (done 60 miles so far ih 4 rides, started riding 6 days ago).
I think you are making a long pause between rides. Is it somehow possible to squeze some rides during the week? My impresion was that when I was riding day after day I was much more confident and made less mistakes (I think I was just thinking less about it, therefore I was more relaxed). Also, after like 1-2h on the parking lot I've gone into traffic, I think if I waited for long it would be much harder to relax.

Regarding starting, the lowest gear is a must in the beginning, woodguy-s method is also helpfull. What I tried and it might work for you if you use clipless pedals (I'm using Shimano SPD, M324). I clip in one leg and make a couple of revolutions just to get the bike going while balancing with my other leg on the ground. Then, I put the other leg on the pedal and keep going.
I found this approach to be good for tight turns also, since I still find it dificult to twist my outer leg so much while clipped in during the turn. I unclip it, make the tight turn with the other leg, once done I continue with both legs.
For going straight, it might seem crazy but my motivation is to ride more in traffic, in other words - a little bit of fear. I'll see how it goes but so far it seems to work. I'm much much more confident and objectively going more straight then in my first ride. In the beggining I stopped pedaling when a car passes me, even if it's coming from the opposite direction and like 2 meters from me, just to go somewhat straight. Now even when a car is besides me I'm confident in pedaling while they overtake - but still I don't do it with full power, just to go somewhat straighter :)
Thank You for your input which is very helpful. And I agree I need more seat time, at this point I am only able to ride on the week ends. I work 10 hours a day plus 2 hours of driving time =12 hours a day. On my way home I work out at a Crossfit gym and after my workout puts me at home around 7-7:30 at night. My day starts at 5:00a.m. However I am retiring in April which will give me more time to ride!!:):)

augiedog

I was surprised to see the ATT mentioned by the O.P. of this thread. I also ride there and will probably head there tomorrow, though likely on my non-Cruzbike bent.

Are there any S40's that ride the ATT? I've never seen another Cruzbike and have some questions about how my used S40 is set up. Would love to have a peek at another S40 for pointers, as well as meet another forum member.

Cheers,

-Jack K.
I am heading to the ATT in about an hour. Waiting for some of the early morning joggers to clear out. Sunday I'm riding the Greenway around Raleigh and hope to make it to the Neuse River Trail. I will see how things go. Look forward to seeing you on the ATT !!

augiedog

That helped me when I was learning to ride. I'd go out for just 10-15 minutes, down to the parking lot to do a few drills, or around the block a couple of times.

:p
Try singing, or whistling, or counting out loud, while you're working on straight-line riding on the trail. It distracts the mind just enough to let the body take over. I saw that suggested here in the forums years ago. I did it when I was learning to ride my Q no-hands. "♪♫ Ba-by SHARK, doo doo, doo doo doo doo..." :D

Even after several months of riding a Cruzbike, I was still concerned about how much I was weaving. Then one day, I realized I wasn't weaving any worse than I had on a road bike. So I relaxed, didn't fight it...and my line got straighter.
Thanks for the tune now it's in my head ....that's just wrong!! :):):)

augiedog

The biggest thing is to relax - when I see people carrying a lot of tension in their body its a good sign that their riding will likely take a long time to smooth out. That doesn't mean to fall asleep at the wheel though - you have to always be in control of the front end - don't over power it with too much muscle but also don't just let it go any which direction on its own.

Thanks Robert for the video I have watched it several times since I got my Q and I do tense up while riding. I have noticed when I'm in a bigger gear I'm able to maintain even pedal pressure and maintain an steady cadence allowing for a straighter riding line. I may have to go back to the parking lot and practice figure 8's some more.

Hearing you two are out on the ATT this weekend makes me want to get out there. Well, I did get a run in on it today! ;) I am finishing up my Zwift Academy rides this weekend, so just time on the trainer.

@velocio I have an S40 as well. I am not suggesting my setup is great, but we can compare notes sometime this fall.

augiedog

An update: Today I rode 17 miles on the Capital Area Greenway and Neuse River Greenway and all I have to say is WOW it was a totaly different riding experience. The trail is asphalt paved somewhat hilly nothing too difficult with one exception.... I was able to maintain a respectable straight line down the trail. No weaving from left to right and able to relax on the bike. I'm not positive but I feel the crushed stone surface on the ATT contributes somewhat to my weaving and not being able to hold a straight line. What are y'alls thoughts or experience with hard surface trails / roads and crushed stone trails?

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
crushed stone trails?
Avoid at all cost. There used to be a vendetta rider with a long crushed stone driveway... it was such an irritation he decided to sell his Vendetta.

You have to travel slowly and the bike becomes a little unstable... then you dont want to trash your cleat and beautiful shoes on the stones... quite a dilemma.