My heart broke with my boom today

Vicki C.

T50 Trailblazer and Silvio newbie
I was out heading to meet friends on my Silvio and stopped at the side of the road to take a photo. My front wheel caught in the sand and I fell over sideways. I expected some scrapes and maybe derailleur or brifter damage, but I did not expect the boom to crack where it attaches to the bars. I weigh 140 but it seems that might be a weak spot. A nice man wired and taped me up so I could ride the 20 miles home, but I actually ended up taking a ride offer from a friend. I tried to upload photos but I guess the phone pictures are too big. The break is above the weld. Any one experience this or know a fix? I know a lot of you are very clever.

Vicki C.

I know Cruzbike is great and they have helped me before. I don't know about a frame, but a way to fix it would be great. I don't know if a new boom is the answer or there is a way to weld a new piece. But I think I would like the attachment point maybe to be stronger there. I rarely fall and have twisted things before, and one time a bit of a hub broke off a Velocity wheel (replaced by Velocity, another great company for customer service). Thanks for sharing your experience.

Vicki C.

LBS says new boom or slider, but the problem might be that this is a 2.0 and I don't know if a replacement part is available and the newer ones may not fit or it could end up being a major repair. I hope that the part is available. A friend who saw it and does a lot of old bike rebuilds and makes parts and things suggested that it looks like that particular spot might be too thin, but maybe it is fine for riding but not for falling. :)

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Vicki I had the same problem post in pictures finally tried Share to:resize it worked for me. Sorry about your bike I also have a 2.0

Vicki C.

The top photo is what it looked like after a Good Samaritan wired and taped it because I was 18.3 miles from home and a mile from my ride meetup place. I had waddled it for a mile to that point. But I ended up meeting a friend who also had to cancel because of an equipment malfunction and had a truck and he got me and the bike home. I have now had two bike mechanics say that it should not have failed from me falling over. And, believe me, my body took the brunt of from the bruises. :) No other damage to the bike except a little bar wrap scrape.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
From that level of crash on your own(not getting run over by a truck) that piece shouldn't have cracked like that but but sometimes the stars align and $hit that shouldn't happen, happen. Get in contact with cruzbike and maybe they'll help you out with a new or discounted boom.

@Robert Holler @Maria Parker @Lucia

Vicki C.

Sounds like it may have been an issue with the clamp being unevenly tightened that caused it to fail. And it seems a slider may be available but I am waiting to see.

Vicki C.

From that level of crash on your own(not getting run over by a truck) that piece shouldn't have cracked like that but but sometimes the stars align and $hit that shouldn't happen, happen. Get in contact with cruzbike and maybe they'll help you out with a new or discounted boom.

@Robert Holler @Maria Parker @Lucia
Robert already responded. Cruzbike customer service is great, as I have already experienced. I really appreciate your input though because it was really surprising for that to happen. But, as you said, shit that shouldn't, does. And believe me I know that firsthand. :) I did a meet a great guy who McGuyvered it to make it rideable and I thought with the FWD it would have been impossible. Amazing what a little wire (well, a lot) and packing tape can do. I may need to find room for some in my tool kit.

dtseng

Replace the top section of the steering column if it is still available, otherwise, you would have to replace both sections.
This is a typical characteristics of aluminum alloy: you bend it and it breaks. It has very little plasticity.

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Hi Vicki, et al.

I can't really hit "Like" for what caused this thread. But thank you for sharing not only the bad news but the temporary solution, the Good Samaritan caring you received, the friendly ride, the appreciation for Cruzbike and their customer service, props to Velocity, and everyone else's positive suggestions and input. This tribe is amazing!

Last edited:

Vicki C.

Replace both sections of the steering column. The new one even better in that the lower section is clamped on the BB shell (not on the bearings).
This is a typical characteristics of aluminum alloy: you bend it and it breaks. It has very little plasticity. I read in the Quest section that swing arms of Q45 is narrow (<100mm), the arms need to be opened up a little to be able to install the rear wheel. This could be a potential problem.

Thank you for the input. I have confidence in Cruzbike and my LBS who is actually a Cruzbike dealer and enthusiast for years. Hopefully there is an easy resolution because as we all know it's all about being on the bike!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The Cruzbike people are a hell of a bunch - both the sellers and the buyers. That person who wired it together was clever.

I like fence wire. Fence wire is almost as useful as a rubber mallet.

Vicki C.

The Cruzbike people are a hell of a bunch - both the sellers and the buyers. That person who wired it together was clever.

I like fence wire. Fence wire is almost as useful as a rubber mallet.

It was pretty amazing. I probably could have ridden it like that a long time. It didn't move at all.

Vicki C.

As the second picture shows, both upper clamp bolts were fully tightened which caused bending of the bolts as well on the slider. When correctly tightened, the clamps should have an equal gap on top and below.

I am sharing this information with my LBS just in case that is not a known situation. I did not do any adjustments myself but probably would not have known that. I don't want to assign blame to anyone on this issue, but only mentioned comments from mechanics I know who thought that the attachment pieces looked as if they might not be robust enough to withstand a soft fall to the side (albeit with my weight on it as well) as part of the discussion. I have been seeking answers and appreciate all that I have received. Now I know to look for the gap as well, although I am not sure how that should look exactly nor why a gap is necessary if the clamp must be fully tightened in order to keep the bars from sliding around.

Robert has the photos and has advised me that uneven tightening or overtightening can cause this type of failure and he is working on looking for the needed replacement part(s). And my LBS is a Cruzbike dealer, and knowledgeable.

Thank you for making it clear from my photo that it was overtightened. That does help the discussion.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
image.jpeg

I do not know if this is any use, but you can see the gaps between the two halves of the clamp. Maybe we should have told you all this before... Now you know how to fix your new slider.

Vicki C.

View attachment 6633

I do not know if this is any use, but you can see the gaps between the two halves of the clamp. Maybe we should have told you all this before... Now you know how to fix your new slider.

I received the bike in trade for my second Tour Easy and it needed work at the LBS before it was rideable. Not abused at all but recabling for fit and a new derailleur. So I had a bit of learning about the bike when I got it last month.

The photo is very helpful as is the information about tightening bolts. I have a mechanic friend who is giving a mini lesson on torque wrenches. The things my daddy didn't teach me. :)