my longest ride to date

Kenneth

SHealth_12_46_54_678.png This last Saturday the Parkers and Larry were racing in the RAAM Texas Challenge near San Antonio. I considered participating in the event as it's fairly close to Austin, but was a bit intimidated by the distance. I've never rode more than a century and wasn't sure how far I could ride, especially as I've slacked off riding some this winter. After considering the cost of the race, hotel, ect i decided to skip the event. It did make me want to see how I would feel riding longer than 100 miles.
I started my ride at 6 a.m. riding all around and through Austin. By 3pm I had rode 120 miles keeping a steady pace, including breaks to eat and rest. After that I couldn't keep up the same pace and at 6 p.m. I was 150 miles. At around 730 p.m. and at 170 miles I decided to stop for a longer break, eat at a restaurant, hoping to find the energy to knock out the last 30 miles to make it to 200. When I got back on the bike I did feel ready to go energy wise but the outside of my left knee immediately started to hurt, not soreness but pain. I had been planning to make a loop from the restaurant away from the direction of my house, but changed my mind heading towards home thinking if my knee loosened up I would keep going but it didn't and I decided discretion was the better part of valor, so I stopped at 175 miles.
Even though I didn't finish the 200 that I was hoping to do, I was pleased that I was able to do the 175. Screenshot_20190323-203130_Samsung Health.jpg

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
This last Saturday the Parkers and Larry were racing in the RAAM Texas Challenge near San Antonio. I considered participating in the event as it's fairly close to Austin, but was a bit intimidated by the distance. I've never rode more than a century and wasn't sure how far I could ride, especially as I've slacked off riding some this winter. After considering the cost of the race, hotel, ect i decided to skip the event. It did make me want to see how I would feel riding longer than 100 miles.
I started my ride at 6 a.m. riding all around and through Austin. By 3pm I had rode 120 miles keeping a steady pace, including breaks to eat and rest. After that I couldn't keep up the same pace and at 6 p.m. I was 150 miles. At around 730 p.m. and at 170 miles I decided to stop for a longer break, eat at a restaurant, hoping to find the energy to knock out the last 30 miles to make it to 200. When I got back on the bike I did feel ready to go energy wise but the outside of my left knee immediately started to hurt, not soreness but pain. I had been planning to make a loop from the restaurant away from the direction of my house, but changed my mind heading towards home thinking if my knee loosened up I would keep going but it didn't and I decided discretion was the better part of valor, so I stopped at 175 miles.
Even though I didn't finish the 200 that I was hoping to do, I was pleased that I was able to do the 175.
Way to go Kenneth - and great job!
It sure would have been nice to see you in Castorville. I think you would have done just fine there. It was a tough ride and the rain and wind made it a little tougher, but based on what you did by yourself I think you would have been able to finish. It always seems easier to ride with others doing the same ride, even if you are not physically in a group riding with them. Group energy or something I guess! :D

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Awesome ! ! ! You did 175miles unsupported and with only yourself to push yourself! Wow!

9000 calories! If you would have normally used 2000-3000 for the average male for "normal" intake then that is almost 5 days worth of work you did that day. Wish you a good recovery and no lasting effects on the knee.

DocS

Guru
Another Texan and not too far!!!

I've just done a Metric Century (I know not nearly as far) and am prepping for a Century (MS150 Ride to the River) in early October.

You guys are an inspiration!

Blessings,
DocS