My next conversion

defjack

Zen MBB Master
I will soon be taking a hack saw to the Giant frame.The top tube will be cut and replaced with liteweight plywood and fiberglassed. The seat height will be around 22in or very close to a Silvio. If this works out it might open up a whole new class of donor bikes. Jack

moose

Jack........The top tube angle looks perfect. That should make a great fwd. If it rides too rough you can always put some big apples on it. They work well for a passive type susp. I think it will make a great looking bike. Best of luck!
Moose

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Got it done in 5 hours. Had some knee clearance problems with the cruiser bars so went back to flat mt. ones with stem reversed.Need to do a few test rides but it should be ok.I really liked the Cannondale but need a better stem adapter as the whole front end was off to the side 3 in or so. Should have some pictures soon. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: Got it done in 5 hours. Had some knee clearance problems with the cruiser bars so went back to flat mt. ones with stem reversed.Need to do a few test rides but it should be ok.I really liked the Cannondale but need a better stem adapter as the whole front end was off to the side 3 in or so. Should have some pictures soon. Jack

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. I have plans for another frame, too. Mine is a 24" wheeled kids mountain bike. I can squeeze 700c wheels (without tires) into the frame, so 650c should work just peachy. I'm going to cold set the rear triangle so I don't have to run the wide axle, then retrue the frame. It's going to be awhile, though. I'm too busy riding my conversion!

Mark

Bravewave

I was happy to see your post and your new Giant conversion. After a fruitless month and a half of looking for a "suitable" donor bike, and unwilling to settle for the poor quality I was seeing at Walmart, Aacademy etc., I sprang for a Trek SU 1.0 non-suspended hybrid yesterday. Super light and the frame seemed to set up great when I positioned the seat on the top tube. Eliminates my need to re-gear, re-tread and upgrade components. Your post inspired me to continue to pursue my logic! Now I just need to learn the basics.... I'll post pictures when I'm done!

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Now its right.I was looking for just the right riding position tried 2 stems and 3 bars. This is what worked reversed short adjustable stem ,reversed cruiser bars. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
OK, as promised, here are pictures of my next conversion. It's a kids Trek 24" wheeled mountain bike. It's pictured here with 700c wheels (without tires), which should approximate what it will look like with 650c wheels with tires.

IMG_1725.jpg

Compared to my Silvio

IMG_1730.jpg

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Cant wait to see how this one rides.I posted about that frame last year and no one was intrested in doing a hardtail.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
This is the frame I was going to build up first. I thought it was too small at the time. I'll probably forego the seatpost arrangement and do seatback to rear brazeon braces, like on most recumbents. I may have to hacksaw the stub of the seat tube down just to get clearance for recline. At least put a bevel on it. I'm not so concerned about the hardtail, but the lack of front suspension concerns me. There are some pretty rough streets around.

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
That way you could keep the seat way back in the frame.I think you get a lot better ride with a lot of recline so wont miss the suspension that much. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: That way you could keep the seat way back in the frame.I think you get a lot better ride with a lot of recline so wont miss the suspension that much. Jack

Might on that frame, it's a pretty short wheelbase. It might get airborne on an asphalt patch!

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
That's excellent.

I don't know that there's a better hardtail frame that I've seen for seat placement. Is it aluminum?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Hardtailcruzer wrote: That's excellent.

I don't know that there's a better hardtail frame that I've seen for seat placement. Is it aluminum?

No, it's steel. It doesn't seem that heavy, though I suppose it is. I gotta find me some 650s.

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote:

No, it's steel. It doesn't seem that heavy, though I suppose it is. I gotta find me some 650s.

Mark

My secret - I love steel frames. Steel by a reputable manufacturer (e.g., TREK!) can be right there with aluminum and it's oh so much more forgiving.

650's will be VERY interesting...

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I think it will be a fun experiment, but I'm not going to wrap a lot of money up in it until I see how I like the ride. It got hit by a car before it was retired, so the rear triangle needs reset. While I'm at it, I'm going to cold set the triangle to take a front wheel. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a 1" suspension fork, but I don't have too much hope of finding one that doesn't weigh a metric crapton. I know there are headsets to run a 1-1/8" fork in a 1" head tube, but they cost a metric crapton. So, I'll probably just install the kit like you see the bike. I'm a little concerned about getting the front seat strap on.

Mark