need help attaching fork

linkable

Hello All,

I just asked customer support this and thought I would also post it to the board.

I had a different fork with angled dropouts. When I attached the fork backwards it worked. However, that fork had bad suspension and had to be replaced.

The new fork I am currently trying has straight dropouts and I attached it facing forward.

If I attach to the first hole the chain won't have enough room. In the photos it is attached to the 2nd hole, the chain will clear, but the wheel bottoms out at the top and rubs against the top of the brakes.

Do I have the wrong bracket?

What am I doing wrong?

Well, I can't upload any photos because they are too big.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Jeff
Sarasota, FL

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
You need to shim it out between the fork and the part of the bracket that hose clamps to the fork. Probably quarter to half an inch.

Mark

linkable

Thanks Mark. I think I know what you mean. I should place a one inch piece of metal between the bracket and fork which will raise the height.

However, I don't understand why I should have to do this. On the website they reocmmend using a fork with straight dropouts. I got the old fork with angled dropouts to fit better when it was insttalled in reverse. Do you have to use shims on every conversion? Shims didn't come with the kit.

Would it make a difference if I reverse the fork with the straight dropouts so that it faces backwads?

Maybe I am using a bracket for a 700cc wheel rather than a 26 inch. This just doesn't make sense to me. My Freerider setup looks so simple.

I can't get my photos uploaded here.

Jeff

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Jeff,

The fork must be turned around backwards. The trail dimension will be wrong and the tire won't clear the brake bridge unless it's rotated 180 degrees.

If you turn it around backwards I'm confident these problems will disappear.

Let me know how you go.

Best,

Doug

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Hardtailcruzer wrote: Jeff,

The fork must be turned around backwards. The trail dimension will be wrong and the tire won't clear the brake bridge unless it's rotated 180 degrees.

If you turn it around backwards I'm confident these problems will disappear.

Let me know how you go.

Best,

Doug

+1... I forgot to include the part about reversing the fork. However, on my original conversion, I still ended up shimming to get clearance. Every bike is different, though. On the conversion my daughter is riding, I didn't need to shim very much, at all.

Mark

linkable

Thanks Doug and Mark.

With the reverse of the fork I didn't need the shims. Problem solved! Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Paruig

I tried fitting the kit to a bike with 24" (520) wheels and with the fork reversed the tyre hit the fork crown with the adaptor brackets at least 25mm clear of the fork leg.
This seems a bit much to shim.
201_5a29ae056d2dc93c2dbc1c62da0f19d5

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
paruig wrote: I tried fitting the kit to a bike with 24" (520) wheels and with the fork reversed the tyre hit the fork crown with the adaptor brackets at least 25mm clear of the fork leg.
This seems a bit much to shim.
[attachment]fwd_bracket-sml.jpg[/IMG]

There are three sets of holes in the adaptor to bolt to the fork. Try the middle, or even the front hole.

Mark