New Cruzbike Quest 3.0 Rider Questions

eocbiker

New Cruzbike Quest 3.0 Rider Questions

1. Need lower Gears to climb Hills. It come with SRAM Cassette - 9 Speed 11-26

Can I replace it with with a SRAM Cassette - 9 Speed 11-34 and try this out.

If I still need lower will I might have to get a front derailleur with a double or triple crank

2. Handle bars are too close, and Knees hit brake lever once in a while.

Might replace the stem with a adjustable stem,

Would a mountain bike stem work on the Cruz Bike Quest

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
You can

A SRAM 11-32 fits well; and an 11-34 PG950 will also fit but it is just a tad harder to get the wheel off without removing the derailleur. We have a PG950 on one Quest and I can climb a wall pulling a 70lb trailer load with two moving children with that cassette.

For the leg interference try in this order:
1) Move the seat boat forward one position and lengthen boom, the will shift your knees forward and lower them.

2) Turn the handle bar stem aka goose-neck around around so it points back towards you; if that makes your arms feel to close to your body you might have to tip the handle bars down or recline the seat more. It's

The person fit thing is very personal but those are the first things to try.

billyk

Guru
a couple of more ideas

Hi eocbiker - I had exactly the same problems.

* For the knee-hitting - I switched out the stem for one with a little steeper angle. First I got an adjustable stem from my local second-hand bike shop for about $4 and experimented with the angles. It raised the bars maybe 3/4-inch nd that was enough that my knees never hit the abrs.

* For the too-high gears, I switched that lovely elliptical for a 36-tooth round chainring. Hated to lose the elliptical, but I live in a hilly city and it just wasn't working. It is way better to spin fast instead of mashing on hills, which can cause the front wheel to lose traction when you're leaned back.

1happyreader

zen/child method
you do have the dual drive IGH right ??

If I still need lower will I might have to get a front derailleur with a double or triple crank

you do have the dual drive IGH right ??

The DD27 is the equivalent of a triple.

eocbiker

RAM Dual Drive Internally Geared 3-speed hub,

I have the RAM Dual Drive Internally Geared 3-speed hub that came with the Quest 3.0

I like to get the gearing close to what I have on my Ran-V-Rex which has a triple up front.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Any stem that is designed for

Any stem that is designed for a 1 1/8" riser will work.

All of the ideas above are very good and spot on. Note that rotating your bars will facilitate readjusting the brake lever angles as well as the shifter angle.

Robert

1happyreader

zen/child method
SRAM Dual Drive Internally Geared 3-speed hub

I have the RAM Dual Drive Internally Geared 3-speed hub that came with the Quest 3.0

I like to get the gearing close to what I have on my Ran-V-Rex which has a triple up front.
Hopefully you can get by with your current rear derailleur and cassette with a 32 tooth cog.

I bought a used SRAM D27 that came with an 11-32 cassette and a X-9 derailleur.

The [ 30.66 - 42 - 57.12 ] igh triple on the quest has more top end than your 30 - 39 - 52 triple on your V-rex.

mmmm if you have to buy a new derailleur then maybe a 12 - 36 cassette ? should be able to climb anything ! LOL

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I'm on record as stating that

I'm on record as stating that the 559 Quest is overgeared. This almost certainly isn't true for everyone, but it is for me (I think the 451 Quest hits the sweetspot in a lot of ways - gearing is just one of them).

Hopefully a bigger cassette will get it down low enough. You can always put on a smaller ring (which is what I would have to do), but then you lose the e-ring (and I think the e-ring is cool).