New homemade fairing for Quest

billyk

Guru
I've ridden 2 years and about 3500 miles on a Quest 2 with an old Zzipper fairing originally designed for a BikeE. My interest in a fairing is for winter commuting in rainy Seattle; secondarily it is 5-10% faster above 15mph. But mostly I like to arrive at work without being wet from either rain or the sweat I'd accumulate in full rain gear.

My previous fairing (1st photo) was repurposed and didn't fit the Quest very well:
- The bulge of the fairing was much higher than needed, so it blocked much of the near view. Although it is clear, looking through the curve is distorting. It also reflected low sunlight right into my eyes.
- With the bulge curving down at the back end, rain would flow back in the wind, dripping into my lap. Going over a bump at speed, I'd get a face-full of cold water.
IMG_1256(2).JPG

I looked around for commercial alternatives and found none. The few that are available are too short to serve as raingear. They're also very expensive and use heavy mounts.

So I decided to build my own.

Polycarbonate is the material of choice: near glass-clear and extremely strong, virtually shatterproof. Motorcycle fairings are made of polycarbonate, also those blister packages that are so hard to open.

Polycarbonate can be molded if you have a controlled-temperature oven able to hold something this big at 360F (180C), which I don't. That means I can only bend it in one direction.

My design was based on experience:
The top of the fairing should be directly along the rider's line of sight, so you don't look through it at all.
* That way you see the road as close in front of you as possible.
* This angle also means water will not flow towards the rider.
* It should extend from feet to hands. This also keeps the drivetrain dry and clean.
* It should provide a mount for a light low-down in front.

Photos of the new fairing:

IMG_7446(1).JPG

IMG_7454(1).JPG

IMG_7478(1).JPG

Specs (see photos below for details):

* The large flat piece is 3/32-inch (2.4mm) polycarbonate (about 35usd for the 30x26 inch piece). This thickness is quite rigid.
* The curved front piece and the side flanges are 1/32-inch (0.8mm) polycarbonate, which is flexible. Using a brake bender (for sheet metal), I was easily able to bend a straight angle to make the flanges.
* The pieces are held together using nylon bolts/nuts, and sealed with Lexel clear sealant, which is flexible. The Lexel is partly as glue but mostly to keep the pieces from creaking against each other.
* The structure is held to the frame by 3-point mounts:
- Handlebar mounts made from used bar ends. I inserted a wooden dowel that fit exactly, then cut the whole thing at the right angle. The dowel serves as anchor for wood screws that hold the structure at the top (see photos).
- The bottom mount is held to the frame by pieces of HDPE plastic (the same stuff used for cutting boards), which is a very friendly material for the home shop. It can be cut and drilled precisely. These were drilled with a 35mm hole to fit the wide part of the top tube, then cut across the hole and drilled to make a clamp (see photos). This holds very strongly.
- The two HDPE pieces are drilled to accept a 5/8-inch aluminum tube that runs forward of the bottom bracket. My mount for the old fairing used a 1/2-inch tube, which was not rigid enough. The new one repurposes the old by sleeving it into the 5/8-inch one.
- The front end of the aluminum tube goes into another piece of HDPE at the front (see photos). This is bolted to the flexible bottom of the fairing. It also mounts the light.
- The orange (naturally) near-vertical piece is a threaded rod that allows adjusting the angle of the main fairing piece.
* The polycarbonate structure is edged with plastic tubing, cut longitudinally and pressed into place. Large red piece at the top to redirect wind-blown rain, thin clear vinyl tubing along the sides. (Cutting a straight line in this stuff is a real pain!)

About 50usd of material, many hours of thought while riding, a weekend of execution and it all works! It's quite stable at high speed and does what was called for.

Detailed specs available on request.

BK

PS - This was blocked by the spam filter ... trying to change dollar signs to "usd" to pass ...

-----------------

IMG_7457.JPG

Driver's view. Note looking (barely) at the bottom of the main fairing piece, to avoid low sun reflection. Angle can be adjusted using the central threaded rod (wrapped with orange tape).

IMG_7487.JPG

Top view of the handlebar mounts. Stainless screws go into wooden dowels inserted into old bar-ends.

IMG_7449(1).JPG

Detail of the HDPE plastic clamps that hold the aluminum tube running forward of the bottom bracket. Pieces are drilled to 35mm, then cut across the hole to provide a very rigid clamp.
Also note light mount at the front.

billyk

Guru
Something else this shows me ... handlebar flex

Something else this shows me is that there is a LOT of flex in the Quest handlebars.

When pushing hard (uphill or accelerating), I'm pulling back on the handlebar on the same side I'm pushing the pedal. This is evident in twisting the fairing ... a lot! Say plus-minus a half-inch relative position change from the bottom bracket to the handlebar, oscillating as I ride. This metal-bending could be anywhere between these two, but I strongly suspect it is the handlebar.

That's bad! It means that some fraction of my effort is going into rhythmically bending metal instead of propelling myself forward.

Hmmm .... BK

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Handlebar Flexing?

Yes, it is, but I just betcha that it is not flexing as much as you think it is.

If your Quest is anything like my Sofrider, and it looks like it is,
I just bet you that what you're seeing is mostly due to torsion:
your steerer tube, that long, vertical tube between the front forks
and the handlebar riser, is twisting.

You can almost eliminate torquing your steerer, if you take your hands
off of the hand grips and hold the handlebar closer to the center of your bars... closer to the riser.
It's almost like riding hands-off.
But not quite!

Nice fairing, by the way!

-Steve

shortbus

fairing

15 miles per hour? what the heck, the only way I can go that fast is downhill with a tailwind.I'm diggin your quest though,I see you went to the bigger tires also, I ended up with 26 by 2.00 schwalbe Big Apple big improvement.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Cool fairing! Thanks for the

Cool fairing! Thanks for the detailed post!

I'll be curious how your new fairing performs aerodynamically compared to your previous one (roll down tests if you get bored or curious enough would be very cool!)

billyk

Guru
Fairing speed increase

Hi Charles -

Three data points (for the old fairing):

- There's a short hill on my way to work. I adjust speed to 15mph at a crosswalk line at the top, then roll down freely. Without the fairing I'm at 23-24mph at the bottom, with fairing 26-27.

- There's almost no truly flat ground here, but I have one 1/4 mile stretch on my usual route. Typical cruise is about 13-14mph without fairing, 15-16mph with.

- I generally find that on flattish ground I can't push the Quest above about 18mph for any distance without fairing, but can fairly easily maintain 20mph or even more with the fairing.

However, tire pressure is more determining of speed than anything else. I run fat (1.5x661) low-pressure (80psi max) tires for the crappy roads we have here, and typically lower the pressure to 65psi in winter for more traction on wet streets.

I will report results with the new fairing once I've ridden it for a bit.

BK

RoyR

That's an amazing piece of

That's an amazing piece of work! Great job!

How much weight do the fairing and brackets add?

--Roy

DavidJL

I wonder how a fairing would work with the emeljay steering mod, as shown on my QX100. It would be nice to have a fairing during the colder part of the year.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
A fairing should fit nicely, It's in the mounts to fit the bike and position the fairing.

Most of the time here in Phoenix the weather is dry, but when I'm commuting in the rain my thoughts wander toward a removable fairing. But then when the rain evaporates I forget. But Billyk's fairing above looks good, probably only needing longer fairing mounting brackets to attach to the steering moded X100 handlebars.

Here is a link with some things to think about seeing over the fairing:

http://t-cycle.com/-c-68/

Open the Fairings FAQ link on this page that includes tips for seeing over the fairing. The link to the Windrap Fairing Fit Chart on this same page does mention Cruzbike Silvio, Sofrider, and Freerider. The steering moded X100 would be similar to an older model Silvio.

Robert O

Cool fairing! I'll be watching for you around the Seattle area as the weather gets better. Keep an eye open for my V20 (with the bullhorn bars).

billyk

Guru
@billyk any chance these pics are available, they are not showing
Hmmm … not sure what happened. That was 5 years ago and they apparently didn’t survive the move of this forum to the new site. Here’s a more recent photo, a pandemic meet-up of two faired CBs.

Also to note, this thread is about an earlier version of the fairing on a QX100. The new photo is my Q45. Same piece of polycarbonate, different mounts.

See a more recent discussion of fairings at

I have a longish post about this fairing down thread in the above.

Last edited: