New T50 Build

rhoffman

Hi all, i have been lurking here for a few weeks and took the plunge this week. I just finished putting my T50 frameset together. Very impressive build quality as everything lined up perfect and went together smooth. Thanks so much to Robert at Cruzbike and everyone in these forums that have blazed the trails that make it easier for those coming in now. I have my parts list almost complete and will post it when finished. Some of the parts will be arriving next week, so I will post updates as the build continues. I am stoked so far and can't wait to get on it to start my Flintstone trials.

I do have a few questions:
  • What is the triangle extension that comes off of the front drive side of the BB shell?
  • Then, behind the BB shell is what appears to be a knob or possibly a cable guide for a front derailleur?
  • Lastly, I did have one part extra that I am not sure what to make of it. A headrest, maybe? Not sure how it would attach though. (Pic attached)

Thanks!

1.jpeg 2.jpeg

rhoffman

After a good deal of research, below is my parts list. Everything has been ordered, received and hopefully will fit together.
  • Cruzbike T50 Frameset (Yellow/Black)
  • Cruzbike T50 Kickstand
  • SRAM XG-1275 GX Eagle Cassette 10-50 12 Speed
  • SRAM GX Eagle Rear Derailleur 12 Speed
  • SRAM GX Eagle Grip Shift 12 Speed
  • SRAM GX Eagle Chain 12 Speed
  • RaceFace Narrow Wide Chainring (42t)
  • BMX Driveline Bash/Chain Guard (44t)
  • Origin-8 Alloy Crank Set Crankarm Set (155mm)
  • Fooker MTB Nylon Composite Pedals
  • Vuelta Cartridge Bottom Bracket (68mm x 110mm)
  • 26" Gravity Pro Wheelset - XD Driver
  • Surly ExtraTerrestrial Touring Tubeless Tires - 26" x 46mm
  • Avid Speed-Dial 7 Brake Levers
  • Avid BB7 MTB Cable Disc Brake Graphite
  • Shimano RT66 6-Bolt Disc Brake 160mm Rotors (Front & Rear)
  • Ritchey 4-Axis Adjustable Stem 31.8 x 120mm
  • Soma Gator Handlebars
  • Jagwire Pro Shift/Brake Cable Kit
Pictures to follow as my build progresses.

Last edited:

rhoffman

After a good deal of research, below is my parts list. Everything has been ordered, received and hopefully will fit together.
  • Cruzbike T50 Frameset (Yellow/Black)
  • Cruzbike T50 Kickstand
  • SRAM XG-1275 GX Eagle Cassette 10-50 12 Speed
  • SRAM GX Eagle Rear Derailleur 12 Speed
  • SRAM GX Eagle Grip Shift 12 Speed
  • SRAM GX Eagle Chain 12 Speed
  • RaceFace Narrow Wide Chainring (42t)
  • BMX Driveline Bash/Chain Guard (44t)
  • Origin-8 Alloy Crank Set Crankarm Set (155mm)
  • Fooker MTB Nylon Composite Pedals
  • Vuelta Cartridge Bottom Bracket (68mm x 110mm)
  • 26" Gravity Pro Wheelset - XD Driver
  • Surly ExtraTerrestrial Touring Tubeless Tires - 26" x 46mm
  • Avid Speed-Dial 7 Brake Levers
  • Avid BB7 MTB Cable Disc Brake Graphite
  • Shimano RT66 6-Bolt Disc Brake Rotors (Front & Rear)
  • Ritchey 4-Axis Adjustable Stem 31.8 x 120mm
  • Soma Gator Handlebars
  • Jagwire Pro Shift/Brake Cable Kit
Pictures to follow as my build progresses.

Build Progress...
20181010_092500.jpg

rhoffman

So, I ran into an issue with the Eagle GX cassette fitting on to the XD hub and I am hoping for some guidance. Sorry, if this is long-winded.
A little background, the wheels are from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse, who have a reputation for building quality wheels at a good price, and I would agree.
They use 'Pure' hubs, from what I can gather are an Asian OEM brand. My wheelset was ordered with the Pure D400 XD rear hub.

When I go to install the cassette, I would expect the XD QR end cap to pass thru the cassette as it is being seated and tightened to spec. However, it has a lip that has it sitting on top of the cassette. Ok, so I tried removing the end cap, torquing down the cassette and the reinstall the QR end cap, but the cassette doesn't seat far enough on the axle to expose the threads to screw in the end-cap.
I've seen two threads where others had the same issue with Hope hubs and one received a new end cap from Hope that had a 1mm smaller width, which fixed the issue. The other took the end cap to a lathe to remove 1.5mm and fixed his issue. Obviously, I'd rather not do the second option.

I've been in contact with BWW, and their support is good, but from what I've read, most likely under-staffed. It can take a few hours to a few days to get a response. Currently, they are researching the issue.
I have reached out to @kling on these forums, because I saw he built a T50 with a Eagle GX 12-speed as well. He did have some issues and took it to his LBS to get it sorted out, but he mentioned he didn't have the tool to tighten it. I have the cassette tool and have torqued it to 40nm which seems tight and I feel no play in it, but that doesn't expose the threads needed to attach the QR end cap.

I've attached pictures in case my explanation didn't do a good job of visualization. I can share more, if needed. I am hoping I am missing something simple as this is my first build from scratch. The process has been fun and a great learning experience, even with some frustration mixed in.

Thanks all!
20181012_100817.jpg 20181012_100807.jpg 20181012_100722.jpg

Last edited:

rhoffman

Update:

I am still working with Bicycle Wheel Warehouse to get past the XD hub/QR issue, but everything else is getting installed.
The next step is to run the housing/cables and get the rear brake hooked up . Everything else is on hold until I get the drivetrain issue resolved.
Getting antsy to take it for a Flintstone spin.
More to come.

20181015_141643.jpg

Suz

Update:

I am still working with Bicycle Wheel Warehouse to get past the XD hub/QR issue, but everything else is getting installed.
The next step is to run the housing/cables and get the rear brake hooked up . Everything else is on hold until I get the drivetrain issue resolved.
More to come.

View attachment 7350
Gorgeous. Really like the black and yellow.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Update:

More to come.

View attachment 7350
Looks like the handlebar is facing the wrong direction? No clearance for the leg.

rhoffman

The handlebars are a work in progress. I have flipped them once and adjusted the stem angle down from up due to cramped quarters around the knees and I haven't touched the boom yet.
I am sure there will be multiple more adjustments once everything is installed and I hit the road instead of indoor floors.

rhoffman

With the help of Bicycle Wheel Warehouse, I got past the Eagle GX cassette issue. They found a XD driver end cap that worked with their hubs and the GX cassette.
With the exception of waiting on the correct brake adapter for the front wheel, all that is left is the housing/cable runs and adjustments. Sitting in it feels good, hand position feels relaxed and no knee knock or cramped quarters with some backwards spin testing, but real world may be different. With any luck, I will be learning to ride within a week.

Updated pics...
20181024_121245.jpg 20181024_121407.jpg

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Nice build with nice color contrast between the black and yellow; love it .

However, in my opinion, your steerer setup is very long and high becuase the handlebar is facing backwards. It will not be a very efficient climber. There will be power losses due to flex . You want the minimum distance between the handlebar and bottom bracket without your legs hitting the handlebar. That will make it as compact and rigid as possible.

For that you may need to flip the handlebar so that the flat section is nearest to you and the "drop" is furthest away. Then you can use a shorter rigid stem and lower it's position on that vertical steerer tube extension. Anyway some of this only makes sense the longer you ride it up grades.

It should look like this Q setup:
Q650b_6 copy 2a.jpg

Last edited:

rhoffman

Thanks for the feedback, @ak-tux. I played around with flipping the handlebars based on your prior feedback, but it did get cramped and my knees would hit, but that is before I adjusted the boom out a bit. Anyway, for starting out, I am more interested in comfort and learning how to ride this bike then getting full potential out of it. I imagine I will be a weekend neighborhood cruzer through the winter and see where that leaves me in the spring of next year. I am excited to start learning the caveats of a FWD-MBB and am sure I will start delving into the tweaks, such as you mentioned, that make these forums and the tribe so valuable.

That is a sweet-looking Q.

rhoffman

Ok, took it out for my first spin. It is everything I thought it would be and more. I enjoyed the comfort of sitting back and coasting, and by the time I was done, i could feel like I worked out my legs, probably some from pedaling and some from the tenseness of trying to stay upright. I live on a slight incline, so I started by coasting down the hill, feet spread eagle, and it was great. Then I tried to place a foot on a pedal and whoa!, instability abound. Anyway, finally got to the bottom of the hill at a brake-assisted safe speed and once I forced myself to relax the grip on the handlebars, I was actually coasting with my feet on the pedals and steering.
Now, can I get back up? Tried, but wasn't happening, so I started walking the bike back up and then said, I'm not done yet. I got back on and started down again and this time started pedaling and having something resembling control. Made the turn to go around the block and started going up the hill, doing fine. Then I realized I needed to switch to a lower gear to get up the hill, I lost speed and had to put the feet down for a landing. I turned around and practiced back to the original hill. Once there, I made sure I was in the right gear and started off pedaling, and it worked. I made it all the way back to my driveway albeit going in serpentines from one side of the road to the other, but by the time I made it back, I was feeling good.

Good first outing. All components worked on the bike as expected, which is a good thing and I think I've read enough to know there will be a learning curve to get fully functional and comfortable on this bike. I will probably do the same thing for the next outing and then will get to a parking lot to try figure eights as part of the learning to ride process.

This really is a great bike and believe I am really going to enjoy getting to know it, inside and out.

Randy

Tuloose

Guru
After learning how to pedal & steer the Cruzbike, learning how to climb hills is the next learning curve.
This has been my personal experience and my observation when introducing others to the FWD, MMB platform.
I think some of the problem is initial reluctance to commit oneself to utilizing the arms in addition to the legs when confronting a climb.
It took me a little while to get the hang of climbing on a Cruzer - learning how to hold a straight line (more or less) while applying maximum power to the pedals and yet controlling the steering by applying counter force to the bars.

Ah, but when it all comes together it's like magic!